Need Tips on Basing and Painting Puppets

Da Big Baws

Dip can be a bit thick right out of the container. My suggestion is to cut it in the pot with rubbing alcohol. I did my zombies using the method, and they were a bit obscured before cutting the dip a bit. I would seriously bring the level of the fluid to almost the top using the alcohol, it's by no means an exact science though.

Also, we stuck them to a GW flying base with poster tack, and spun them a couple of seconds in a drill. Use a paper bag to cover the it or the whole deal becomes horribly messy....

Dip can be a bit thick right out of the container. My suggestion is to cut it in the pot with rubbing alcohol. I did my zombies using the method, and they were a bit obscured before cutting the dip a bit. I would seriously bring the level of the fluid to almost the top using the alcohol, it's by no means an exact science though.

Also, we stuck them to a GW flying base with poster tack, and spun them a couple of seconds in a drill. Use a paper bag to cover the it or the whole deal becomes horribly messy....

While I have some dipped minis, they where never dipped, the dip was brushed on with an old/cheap brush.

In that case, dip away!

I think if you paint the puppets in relatively light, warm colors (tans, yellows, reds), then dipping should work just fine. When you see really nice looking dipped models, often it's because the person went back over the richer colors with the original paint color and a highlight and then matte coated the minis. I've seen armies done this way that you can hardly tell you're looking at dipped minis.

Edited by Tauwolf

In that case, dip away!

I think if you paint the puppets in relatively light, warm colors (tans, yellows, reds), then dipping should work just fine. When you see really nice looking dipped models, often it's because the person went back over the richer colors with the original paint color and a highlight and then matte coated the minis. I've seen armies done this way that you can hardly tell you're looking at dipped minis.

I have dipped armies for other games. I'm just wondering if there it would look good on tiny models like puppets. Hence, why I ask if others have done it before.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started basing mine using buttons bought from a standard craft shop. I'm finding that it's easy to find buttons that fit on top of the base without any overlap. I was also pleased to find that the post on the minis fits the button holes perfectly. It's been a fun final challenge to find buttons that match the character or look of each figure. I am almost done with my fourth, and hope to post pictures soon.