Who makes the better range crew?

Palmerdoc13

I know there is some variation due to who is playing the crew, but overall what is everyone's thoughts on the strongest range crew available to the guild. I would imagine the two primary competitors would be a lucius crew and a Family crew. I have also been messing around with the idea of playing a Hoff crew with Ryle emphasis and a lot of death marshals or austringers.

Thoughts? I feel like the ortega crew has the benefit of also providing a melee option in Fransisco for when the opponent reaches your line. I also know that in a few of the strategies, a pure range crew won't provide the best option to win, but I just wanted to see fellow guildees opinions:)

You can use Lucius with Peredita and combine the two. Peredita, Lucius, Ryle, some Austringers and guild guard would equal an impressive gun line.

Hoffman and Lucius also can work well. It gives more shots from Ryle, and still allows you to maximise the output of your austringers or guild guards.

You can also add Nino, or any of the other family members you want. This is the beauty of this game.

I think a good 35 point list for a pure ranged theme would be Peredita, Ryle, Nino, a drill sergeant, and as many Austringers as you could fit. Ryle and Peredita would handle any melee needs, Peredita would be your main objective grabber.

Fair enough she is very high on my buy list, but I just can't seem to buy her alone outside of Levi boxset.

12" gun is very nice and headshot is brutal having that on her and Nino along with hans can be some forced kills. That is 26ss and leaves you enough to add a warden.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I've seen a few people mention the drill Sergeant with ryle. Doesn't he only give the positive flip to guardsmen? Ryle is an Elite Division, not a guardsmen. But maybe you guys know something I don't. I thought long and hard today about grabbing lucius to insert into my hoffman and lady j lists when viable but I walked out of the store lucius-less:P I will still probably pick him up very soon because Ryle and the Judge are my 2 favorite characters in the game and Lucius can greatly magnify both of these models. I really like the Hoff-Lucius-Ryle combo for some serious damage from afar. I was thinking something like

Hoffman

Lucius-10

Ryle-8

Mobile Toolkit-4 (for the potential heal or a model to let hoff tap)

Watcher-3 (for objectives)

<insert austringers for 30 and 35 pt games. This way Lucius has options if Ryle goes down. Obviously a Warden or 2 would also look great in the list once the models come out>

Ryle works with the Drill Sarge using Link and the Sergeant's ability to buff the melee of a non-master.

Link:

You use Ryle's 0 action to push 4" away from the nearest living model (probably the Sergeant) and then the Sergeant pops back into BtB because of Link.

Also, Ryle's a target for things like Paralyze and Slow, and the sergeant helps there too.

I like keeping Ryle, Lucius, and the Sergeant all together, which allows the Sarge to do double duty by giving Lucius +2 DF and being a sacrifice target for Lucius to Reactivate.

Ryle works with the Drill Sarge using Link and the Sergeant's ability to buff the melee of a non-master.

correct plus on attack flips for linked model would work on enemy but that wouldnt help.

Link:

You use Ryle's 0 action to push 4" away from the nearest living model (probably the Sergeant) and then the Sergeant pops back into BtB because of Link.

link only moves after walk action, ryles push is not a walk action so Ryle would have to walk then the sarge will push into contact.

Also, Ryle's a target for things like Paralyze and Slow, and the sergeant helps there too.

I like keeping Ryle, Lucius, and the Sergeant all together, which allows the Sarge to do double duty by giving Lucius +2 DF and being a sacrifice target for Lucius to Reactivate.

Ryle and sarge can work but sarge can buff multiple models making multiple models better so I use him more to buff guardsman and if Ryle can be linked model great but because his action is a push I tend to have a better link options.

I like the idea of keeping Ryle, 2 austringers, and the drill sergeant near each other as a solid fire base. Together they can kill just about anything at range, and Ryle becomes their melee protector when the enemy closes on them.

That's 21SS. Even in a 35 point game, the rest of your list better have a bunch of mobility or you'll be unable to take objectives. Also, Ryle's triggers look nice on the card, but they're pretty hard to actually pull of in a game.

Consider the Sergeant and 3 guild guards: 15 SS instead of 21 and a comparably effective gun line, IMO.

Not that hard when it is paired attacks. This firing base is incredibly effective on many strategies. It creates an incredibly large denial zone. Turn you can hit the center of the board. Your opponent has to think about. Only the most speediest of crews can ignore it. Two ignore los and one can reposition 4" for 3 shots.

I wonder how Perdita + Enslaved Nephilim with Lucious +Drill Sargent, 2 Austringers and Ryle would do in killy strategies. Assuming you Obey Lucious to Command Ryle as necessary, you wind up with 2 Perdita Shots, 2 Austringer Shots, 3 Ryle Shots, and 5 more shots to spread around as you see fit (except Perdita). Use Ryle/Perdita to take things that step into your kill zone and Austringers to kill everything else.

The downside is that it has the mobility of a lead brick.

Edited by SoulG

"That's 21SS. Even in a 35 point game, the rest of your list better have a bunch of mobility or you'll be unable to take objectives. Also, Ryle's triggers look nice on the card, but they're pretty hard to actually pull of in a game."

3 watchers and 2 guild hounds = 35.

Or 2 watchers and whatever else you want.