Might be starting Dreamer in the near future

ScottyP

I might be starting The Dreamer soon (or Rasputina) and I was wondering what I should get in addition to the starter box.

I was thinking of getting the starter, a blister of his totems, and Alps. Then getting a Teddy when I get paid next. I was thinking a Teddy because the model looks hilarious and Alps, because I noticed they can be summoned by the Coppelius, though I haven't ever seen anything from Neverborn in action, so I have no idea what is really worthwile getting for the Dreamer. I have a ranged crew atm, so I was thinking something more melee focused.

No one I play with plays Neverborn atm. We got Ophelia (me), Viktorias, Sonnia, Kirai, and Marcus. I was gonna get either The Dreamer or Rasputina asap, and then get the one I don't get the next time I can make it to the town that sells Malifaux in the area. I just like the lore behind The Dreamer as an unsuspecting kid unleashing hell upon the inhabitants of Malifaux, and Lord Chompy Bits is an awesome model and the name is hilarious.

Is this your first crew? If so the dreamer may prove a tricky master to learn with, as he has a very unique playing style. I think he is a fantastic model with a great way of playing, but it does involve burying and unburying alot of your own models, so again for a first time player perhaps not the best option, but by no means unviable.

Totems in general are usually a very good pick (although I know some people are reluctant to take them if them feel they will be avataring up early in the game, although the effigies are helping with this I have found) but the daydreams are pretty essential for the dreamer, so a pack really has to be your first purchase.

I love teddy, and would love one day to do a all teddy dreamer crew for giggles, so sure pick one up at some point.

You already have some stitched, which are VERY good choice, so Alps would be your next port of call I would say. There are also the Nephilim/Woe/Nightmare twins Lelu and Lilitu whom many born players love. Her lure is a fantastic ability, but it might be less useful in a dreamer crew, but she has a melee range of 4, can cause paralysis and can heal you own models, amongst other abilities. They are always in contention during my crew selection- for me they are a superb pick.

I also know you can do some funky things with insidious madnesses, burying them having used their abilities and unburying them later in the game when they still have these up AND their 2AP to spend!

Hope some of this helps.

Mcdoogle

If you're looking for melee then look no further than Lelu, he's a beast in combat and the Dreamer can drop him exactly where he needs to be. The only downside being the cost, as you have to also bring Lilitu and together they cost 14ss. It's still usually a good investment though.

Alps are less useful than they were a couple of months ago, now they've been cuddled. By all means get some for Coppelius to summon, or to use up a spare 3ss, but don't fill your crew with them.

Insidious Madness is an incredible minion, and under costed at 4ss. Not particularly melee, but he can put some hurt with his aura and Wk8 makes him a great objective capper.

Also very good for objectives are Night Terrors, which the Dreamer recently got access to. You wouldn't know it from the book since they're Rezzer models, but on their printed cards it states they can be hired by the Dreamer. Cheap significant models that can flock together and capture objectives. Very useful indeed and worth looking at - better than Alps anyway.

Mike