Just want to make sure I got this clear - Measuring Distance

Mr_Smigs

Question

8"

I must say, entirely as my personal opinion, that I really don't understand Wyrd taking that option.

Rules Manual based Malifaux works perfectly well in 3D. There are some balance changes, but they even out very neatly (ranged models loose on range if they go very high, but they are also much harder to reach for melee models).

Terraclips terrains allow to easily create Ht4~Ht6 constructions and the game becomes significantly more often fought in the vertical.

On the traditional gaming terrain the "old" approach of 2D measuring did indeed simplify things a lot.

On Terraclips table there are situations where this makes things crazy and very far from simple.

It's one thing to be attacked by a model you're sure looks out of range... it's another to have someone interact with objective 6" above him, only because it is within 2" "in horizontal".

Even worse is it would work on some objectives, but not on the others (some require base 2 base contact), so rather than simplify things, it introduces inconsistency and a frustrating one at that (just imagine your master trying to reach the Dynamite marker to interact with it, walking through 4 floors, only to get served Deliver Message from someone technically in the basement).

It actually kills a large part of terrain building. Making "gauntlets" or challenging features where models have to walk increased distance to reach the objective meaningless or broken (the terrain will either not matter, or give huge advantage to the side which doesn't need to get b2b with their objectives).

I really can't remember off the top of my head, but my guess is that many of the things you mention require LoS. Like Deliver a Message... pretty sure you interact with the Master, and for that wouldn't you need LoS?

Doesn't say that in the Strategy wording (page 91). Interact is just an Action and Actions do not require LoS.

Not just matter of Interact - Claim Jump requires the opponent to be within 3" of the objective too.

Most of the Strategies using markers require b2b contact, true, but not all of them and this inconsistency is problematic and caused by, IMO, sticking with obsolete measurement rules.

The bottom line is the game works perfectly well with vertical & horizontal measurement (base 2 base) and there's no reason for this forced "simplification", which IMHO makes the things more confusing.