Joining this century (or maybe the last)

Having decided that I have spent enough time as a technophobe I have recently gadgeted up including now owning my very first Internet enabled computer. :thsigns05

I will be trying to link up with my work computers etc and one other thing I know people do on the net is download some television shows. Is this legal? What is a good site if so?

Anyway, now I have regular access to the internet I am somewhat flummoxed as what to do with it other than hang around here so I ask what do you regularly use the internet for excluding

:parental:.

Thanks all

Honestly, downloading anything copyrighted is technically illegal unless you're paying for it or they've given explicit permission...

Personally, lately, I've been using the internet for a lot of research for writing. I also tend to keep up with friends some via various methods.

Yeah the internet can be a weird thing. There are someplaces you can download music and TV series but there are places to watch them too. I don't really like downloading because you have to watch out for stupid viruses. You have to know what you're looking for in order not to get one. That's why I still by CD's and just rip them into my computer. Yes I'm spending money but I'm also supporting the bands I like. They get that money to keep making music.

The internet it also a place for social networking which is the most I use it for.

Okay, copyright law on downloading depends on what country you live in. In the UK it is fine to download so long as you don't make physical copies, to make a physical copy you must own a official store bought copy since you are entitled to have a single back up of each dvd, cd, vhs, etc that you own.

From what I know, the USA has a similar policy, but it might be best to read up on the copyright laws across there to make sure it's not illegal.,, or at least so that you won't be able to get into any sort of trouble for doing so.

I had to read up a lot of copyright law from when I owned my own small business (mostly about intellectual properties, but I also read the rest of it, it was a lot of reading) and even if it ends up not applying to you it's always best to read up on it.

Streaming (watching online) is a grey area, but nothing you can be persecuted for since you are not technically downloading, be careful though as it also depends on which country the site is set up from as their laws might also come into effect.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I know, the USA has a similar policy, but it might be best to read up on the copyright laws across there to make sure it's not illegal.,, or at least so that you won't be able to get into any sort of trouble for doing so.

Nope, in states if you download it you are committing a crime. Not that it stops anyone.