Dog List with Mobility.

SoulG

So, I've been toying around with Nicodem Re-Animate lists. The big, seemingly insurmountable issue they all have is mobility. Taking a turn summoning is likewise taking a turn not completing your objectives--and that turn will often cost you the game.

So how can a list focus on summoning a larger crew while also maintaining both tempo and mobility? I think I have a list that does just that.

Ressurectionists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Nicodem, The Undertaker
--
4 Pool

Grave Spirit [1ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Crooked Man
    [4ss]

• Datsue-Ba
    [7ss]

• Dead Rider
    [10ss]

The Plan

Activate Grave Spirit

Link to Nicodem, defensive stance, and try for The Fog. You can do this any time before you activate Dead Rider.

Activate Crooked Man

Use Cave In to reduce all of your dogs to 1wd on a moderate damage flip (cheat as necessary). If you don't care about activation control for whatever reason, he can kill all but 2 dogs.

Activate Dogs

This will stall for time and (hopefully) cause your opponent to move his list forward. If you have the Mask necessary to use "Guide Spirit," move two of the dogs forward, but keep them within 11" of Datsu-Ba.

Activate Datsu-Ba

If you have a proper Mask in your hand, cast Guide Spirits to move Datsu-Ba 5". Either way, use Weigh Sins to turn two dogs into two Gaki and two corpse counters. If you used Guide Spirits, your Gaki should be about 12" up the board, in prime objective-hunting position.

Activate Dead Rider

Depending on the situation and the terrain, use his (0) action if it would get you farther, or allow you to attack an enemy model within 13". Use Mounted Combat, immediately attack Nicodem, and then move 10" up the board. Push Nicodem through all the corpse counters, and then to the other side of the Dead Horsemen. Now you have Nicodem 11" (14" if you used a Fast Action to move the Dead Rider beforehand) up the field with 8 Corpse Counters.

Activate Nicodem

Move up 3" as a walk action, you are now 14"/17" up the field. Use Arise to place Mindless Zombies. Then use Reanimate as you please to place models 6" towards the enemy (20"/23" up the board). Assuming you use something with a 2" melee range, that's a 22"/25" threat range. Depending on the situation, summon again, use Decay, or use Rigor Mortis on a key enemy model. If you're okay with losing 3" of movement, you can even cast 3 times. Keep at least two, possibly four mindless zombies near Nicodem.

Later Turns

Nicodem plays like Nicodem. Datsu Ba, likely with the help of a Crooked Man, keeps turning Mindless Zombies into Gaki when you have nothing better for her to do. Gaki go forth and complete objectives while the Dead Rider + Summons tie up the enemy crew to prevent them from completing theirs. Dead Rider is, likewise, Nicodem's ferryman when he needs it.

Notes

This does not work for every strategy/opponent. It still sacrifices some tempo, and against some lists/situations that can complete their objectives on turn 1, that'll be enough. It relies heavily on being able to block/kill the opponent with Rogue Necromancies and Flesh Constructs.

It's also possible to get hand-screwed turn 1, which sucks. If available, I'd probably trade in 2 dogs for an Avatar of Decay.

This is currently Theoryfaux. I'm debating on what to buy next, and I'm probably going to move into Nicodem. Was making lists to inspire my purchases and thought of this.

In theory, I think whether I run this list would more depend on my opponent's strategy. The advantage this list has is throwing potentially a Rogue Necromancy or 2 Flesh Constructs in your opponent's face turn 1, after they activated. Then in turn 2, keep the opponent's crew there and make them waste their actions destroying your models (Bolster Undead + Defensive Stance can help with that, depending on the situation). With Datsu-Ba and possibly Nicodem's (0) action, you can produce enough significant models to complete any strategy in the meanwhile.

Sadly, buying the models I'd need for this list (all of them) would run me about $150.

Sidenote: In a 55ss Brawl I'd probably bring Kirai + Lost Love + either Molly + Grave Spirit or Von Schill. Then I'd top it off with either Jack Daw, Freikorps Librarian, more dogs, or Rafkin + another dog--depending on the situation and my faith in my control hand.

Edited by SoulG

If only have room to cast once drop rogue of you can cast twice drop two flesh constructs. Two flesh constructs ate incredibly nasty.

I like the list but highly situational. Blasts will wipe you off the board quick. You probably want a high ss cache to run this safely.

The one thing I don't like about it is you almost have to win the initiative turn 2.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I like this list, but it still seems slower then the fast armies, and a lot of work to outpace the slow ones. Turn one you either need to get what you came for and get out of dodge or not bother at all. I can only think of two objectives that need grabbing in turn 1 (treasure token, and the Evidence Marker) other then that I think you can take your time with everything else.

Orboros: Thanks. Please let me know how it goes! :)

Mr. Bigglesworth: Agreed about Flesh Construct vs Rogue Necromancy. RN will die horribly, Flesh Constructs... it'll take longer.

The exception being if I think a RN + 2 Decays (bounced off of RN) will wipe out a significant portion of their crew. That's a potential 4-6 aoe damage from decay, and RN's own blast spell, which may or may not be devastating. Rigor Mortis can also help to delay a potentially dangerous enemy.

How are blasts particularly effective against this list?

How initiative dependent the list is really depends on the opponent. If they can take out your RN or Flesh Constructs in 1-2 activations or can Alpha Strike, then losing initiative will screw you. Rigor Mortis can also potentially help with this.

Prodigal Punk: The list is not about completing your objectives quickly--not because it can't, but because Kirai does that so much better for us (summon a Shikome on the Treasure Marker, summon Ikiryo or anything else on the center evidence counter). The list is about throwing threats / blockers into your opponent's face and preventing them from completing their objectives while Datsu-Ba + Gaki goes around completing yours.

I actually think the strategy this list shines at completing is Reconnoiter and Turf War. Perhaps Distraction and Supply Wagon as well, but I don't have any experience with those.

General: I kinda realized you really don't need the Crooked Man to make this work. The dogs and mindless zombies are fully capable of killing one another, since you only need 2 of them to survive on 1 wound. If you goof and wind up staring down the Dreamer or similar, you can either choose to leave the dogs out and hope they can hurt his crew or kill them with Datsu-Ba's Harvest Sinners.

This can free up 4ss for cache/dogs/avatar/something else.

Segue: Thinking about Harvest Sinners got me thinking: What is the probability of making at least two dogs, then at least 3 dogs assuming a 6-card hand and taking into consideration how many crows are in one's hand, up to 3 (after that, honestly, it's worth it just so you can cheat it). It doesn't take into account having to flip a weak damage flip, and assumes that you can cheat down the dog's defense as needed.

With 6 Canine Remains

0 Crows in Hand: 57.30% at least 2 | 22.91% at least 3

1 Crow: 52.38% | 19.10%

2 Crow: 47.26% | 15.58%

3 Crows: 41.98% | 12.38%

With 8 Canine Remains

0 Crows: 75.23% | 42.80%

1 Crow: 70.60% | 37.04%

2 Crows: 65.44% | 31.37%

3 Crows: 56.76% | 22.87%