oil paints...

redcore

do not use oil paints for the following reasons.

1: they take too long to dry

2: they will be too thick, if you end up thining them out you will inhale a lot of toxic fumes because you will be using oils instead of water to thin them.

3: they are toxic in general

5: no one that i know in the proffessional mini painting industry uses them

6: any effect you get with oil paints can be easily gotten via acrylics and added mediums

7: they tend to be expensive.

I do oil painting on canvas and have to say that it is downright bad for your health if you don't have a studio space with ventilation. Using them for minis when there are better and safer methods out there is not a good idea.

water based paint is your friend.

Just my two cents.

The way oil paints are used on minis is usually as a series of glazes over a basecoat of monochrome acrylic. So you'd have to paint the whole piece in black and white, blending it carefully, and then paint over thin glazes of the oil paints to give colour to it.

The effects you can get are very impressive due to the rich natural tones of oil paints, but it is hard to achieve. It's more comonly used on large scale stuff such as busts. For 30mm minis it's probably not worth the trouble.

I'm currently trying to learn it myself on a 1/10 scale bust, getting the acrylic basecoat down is proving to be a nightmare! If you're really set on trying it (which is fair enough, new techniques are always worth a bash) then I use Daler Rowney Georgian acrylics thinned with proper artists Turpentine