Puppets hit UK

Rashley

After waiting so long after first seeing this advertised, mainly due to numerous 'delays', my set finally arrived 2 days ago. I can sum up my reaction to it as simply:- Great game! Shame about the bits. I should really explain this in more detail to be fair.

I am much more a 'Board' gamer than 'Miniatures' player. Hate assembling, building, painting figure/terrain etc.. That is why I went for this over Malifaux. It looked to me like Wyrd was trying to bridge the gap between boardgaming and wargaming. They have somewhat 'fallen' between the two. However, it does seem popular and hopefully won't alienate both camps.

At this price, the bits should have been better. It looks like Wyrd said "We make metal figures so that's it!" The rest looks like they got cheap 'job lots' from other manufacturers without thinking it through. The card stock is very thin throughout. The board, though sturdy, is too cluttered to clearly see the hexes, and the decks are almost too over graphiced - is that a word? - suitwise. The tokens also suffer by too much graphics obscuring the content, and why oh why aren't they double sided? What a waste!

The 2? hole plastic bases seem strange with 1 prong metal figures, and the bland plastic tokens are a big mistake on the board. They look non-descript and slide about badly. They should have been thicker cardboard tokens than the ones used, but with clearer graphics and again double sided. The overall effect would have looked better, be more practical and have been cheaper. I am sure Wyrd would never think of using plastic figures.

This is beginning to look worse than I hoped. I still think the game itself is great. It just looks as if Wyrd looked 'out of their depth' once out of their cosy miniatures known world. The bits will not appeal to the normal detail obsessive wargamer, and board gamers will be horrified by the impractical usage of the bits. A wasted opportunity. I see on the forums that 'stickers' and such are being invented by players, but we shouldn't need to do it - except to expand the game. Hopefully Wyrd will get a board game graphic designer on board if they continue to move in that direction. Cheers!

The 2 hole bases allow for the different position of the pins on the puppets based on my assembly experience with them.

My only problem so far has been that the blocking markers are indistinct so I've replaced them by black plastic counters. Other comments may be valid, but I'll leave commenting until I've played some complete games.

Incidentally, if you're not too far from MK maybe we can meet up for a few games?

I was a little disappointed with the card tokens - I'd have liked them to have been a bit sturdier and yes, ideally double sided. It'd have been great to have more exhausted tokens, it feels like I don't have nearly enough, but those are my only real complaints.

The big thing for me is that I get a great game, with great models. While the counters and tokens could have been improved, but ultimately, I'm very happy with my purchase.

I do wish the Silurid was coming out of an egg like in the art though. That was *so* cute.

Clousseau:- I am in Borehamwood, just north of London. Try rashleyactor@hotmail.com.

It looks to me that lots of others have issues with the bits, but everyone agrees it is still a great game. If I find enough people who want to play it, I shall be investing in the expansions. No doubt I will find a friendly sucker - sorry - nice person, to paint the figures. Cheers!

I'll likely buy one of these from myself, looks cool already.

Kinda reminiscent of the ill-fated Pantin Nocturne for me.

I'll keep the concerns in mind but I'm sure it'll be a fun game. I'll do some demos of it and hopefully spread a bit of interest locally; may even help to steer them in Malifaux's direction :P

But I suppose one wee bit of criticism is the box itself; while the artwork is good I would have liked some pics of painted models somewhere.

Edited by Shae-Konnit

I too was disappointed in the components, though I don't have any complaints about the board or hexes, and the minis are great! What's even worse, my LGS owner is colorblind, so he can't see the difference between green and red workbenches, makes it hard for him to play without custom tokens. Still, great game, and I love painting the puppets.