Counters and effects... hmmm

Caamora

So I am a complete idiot about these 2 items... But I think I am seeing the light but would like a clarification. If an ability or effect say gains "effect counter" then the effect persists through turns... but if the effect says just gains "effect" then the effect is cleared in the resolve turn step correct?

So gains "+1 powerful counter" and gains "+1 powerful" are completely separate things in duration I think.

If thats the case how are you guys keeping track of the different effect durations with only the stock set of counters?

Of course I could be completely wrong about the whole statement above... any help appreciated.. I have read the other threads on duration and think I got it now.. but hey I am new to this... haha.. Thanks again

So I am a complete idiot about these 2 items... But I think I am seeing the light but would like a clarification. If an ability or effect say gains "effect counter" then the effect persists through turns... but if the effect says just gains "effect" then the effect is cleared in the resolve turn step correct?

So gains "+1 powerful counter" and gains "+1 powerful" are completely separate things in duration I think.

If thats the case how are you guys keeping track of the different effect durations with only the stock set of counters?

Of course I could be completely wrong about the whole statement above... any help appreciated.. I have read the other threads on duration and think I got it now.. but hey I am new to this... haha.. Thanks again

100% correct.

So far I'm putting effect counters as markers for expiring effects on the puppet's stat card and putting actual counters with the puppet in play in order to keep them distinct. Of course, 5 activation rounds is a short span for a two-player game, and it isn't too difficult to remember the more temporary effects. I suppose you could also mark the cards with dry-erase with effects as you would for rips.