Can You Repeat Obey In A Turn With A Totem?

Makaiju

Question

As we know, Obey says it can only be cast one time per turn.

Totems have the Magical Extension that says they can cast one of the spells of the model they are linked to.

For some time in our local stores that has been played as you can only cast Obey one time per turn period.

Recently it's been suggested that Magical Extension should really just 'mimic' or act like a spell from one of your linked master/henchman. Not actually be the master's spell. So they use Cast Obey with their master and then have a totem do it again.

Should it be able to be cast twice per turn or not.

8 answers to this question

Should it be able to be cast twice per turn or not.

Ratty speaks truth. There is even a cheesy way where Zoraida can cast it 3 times in a turn with her and her totem.

Plus once per model means you can bring people like Abuela(in an Ortega list), Hamelin or the Doppleganger to cast it even more.

Thank you everyone. This one is going to be harder for most of the players I know to swallow as too many of them are English majors who will fight me on the wording meaning something different than being explained. (Or Not fight me because they are only imaginary people in my head. At this point in my life I can't tell any more.)

We couldn't find a good rule definition of Magical Extension that could help solidify the understanding of what Magical Extension does for a totem.

Assuming I am not just over looking it, that seems like a decent clarification to add some place. Didn't there used to be a thread/forum list where players could list things they felt Wyrd needed to document in their FAQ/Rule Updates?

*note* If my lack of sleep over the last few days means I'm not seeing the giant "post rules wording changes here" thread in my forum searches, I'm sorry upfront.

I believe the interaction works something like this -

each model has his own copy of a spell when a model casts that spell that copy may only be cast once per turn (i.e. rules on a model dont effect other models unless they state they do)

Another thing to look at is the once per turn per crew spells which can only be cast once per turn regardless of the model that wants to cast it.

As for magical extension, I believe that the totem is actualy casting the "magical extension spell", once cast you then cast one of the masters spells as if it was your own (the master is not casting it)

Other things of note

- the actual rule for obey is "This spell may be cast once per activation" so if Zorida recived reactivate she could cast it again, a totem casting it would be using a seperate activation, etc.. so the wording even allows for multiple casting by the same model in the same turn

- its actualy possible to cast obey 4 times a turn using zorida, her totem, and the doppelganger if you really wnat to spam it.

Thank you everyone. This one is going to be harder for most of the players I know to swallow as too many of them are English majors who will fight me on the wording meaning something different than being explained. (Or Not fight me because they are only imaginary people in my head. At this point in my life I can't tell any more.)

Speaking of fighting over wording, in your first post you mention the word "linked"in your statement: Totems have the Magical Extension that says they can cast one of the spells of the model they are linked to.

You DO NOT have to be linked to cast one of the spells, the word "LINKED" has an entirely different meaning in the world of Malifaux. Your totem is CONNECTED to their Master.

I just want to make sure that you knew that so when you see the word "Linked" you will know it is something else.

Turns out it was a moot point because I was given a miss printed card or someone's downloaded V2 card that was 'tampered' with. While the card I was given to follow up on said "once per turn"... all of the other cards and books say 'once per activation'.

If the phrasing is 'per activation' than there is not disputes.

Thank you everyone for checking on this with me. Only sorry I didn't check on the possible card error before this weekend.