Counts as list

ThePandaDirector

I love the Mobile Toolkit, or at least the model. I love the fluff of miners and the aesthetic of the arachnids. But creating a Ramos list with Union Miners and the Mobile Toolkit just doesn't seem very good, so I thought I might look elsewhere.

I've come to create my own idea of a Master, a Union Mining Prospector turned Resurrectionist Archaeologist. I started thinking what each model could count as. I figured the Miners could easily be Crooked Men, Mobile Toolkits could be Nurses and the Large Steampunk Arachnid and Soulstone Miner could both represent Flesh Constructs. Steampunk Arachnids posed a problem as I wanted lots of them. The obvious comparison is Necropunks but they take ss from Crooked Men and Nurses, so I decided on Canine Remains.

I'm still not sure whether I'd represent my Master with Nicodem or McMourning. Nicodem fits slighlty more thematically, but unless Arachnids were Mindless Zombies (which doesn't really fit), then I can't think of anything thematically to represent the "zombie" horde. But despite this I sided with him, for now.

Professor Baldwin and "Traveller" (Nicodem)

Mechanical Canary (Vulture)

Baldwin's Protege (Sebastian)

Mobile Toolkit (Nurse)

Steampunk Arachnid (Canine Remains)

Mr. Plainview (Mortimer)

Mobile Toolkit "Trixie" (Nurse)

2 Crooked Men

Summoning Pool - 5 Steampunk Arachnids (Canine Remains), Large Steampunk Arachnid and Soulstone Miner (2 Flesh Constructs ), 4 Crooked Men, Mechanical Decoy (Rotten Belle represented with mannequin)

Thematically Baldwin, a Prospector and Industrialist Earthside, has left the Arcanist cause - where he was a high ranking official - and become obsessed with excavating the Necropolis underneath Malifaux. He has also taken to enfusing his mechanical creations with necrotic energies and ensuring that no other living person/s, other than his two comrades, lives to see the results of his work.

I would use Hoffman to represent Nicodem, heavily converted. Baldwin is a masked leper and has no lower legs, his personal Mobile Toolkit "Traveller" has been modified to be a walking throne. As for Sebastian, I will convert Rusty Alyce, she represents his right hand and the one who creates the Arachnids (Canine Remains). Plainview will be simple, Mortimer in both rules and model, but converted to wield a pickaxe as he is the "supervisor" for the "mining workforce". While it is very thematic it is also pretty focussed, the only problem is it seems to work more as a McMourning list as I still don't know what I could use to represent Mindless Zombies. Also I like the idea of the Mechanical Canary and I'm not sure what it could be if not a Vulture.

So what do people think of this as a working list, is it actually possible to create your own theme and balance suitable rules to the theme to what is suitable game-wise?

These kinds of lists in other games are always cool, but always bug me. Too many times in GW bases tournaments I've faced cheesed out "count as" lists with half converted models and a so called theme. All models need to be super converted IMO to make it work, or else it just irritates me to see a Hoffman count as something else within the same game. Luckily you don't have to worry about playing me, so good luck!! Look forward to seeing your conversions.

I don't like cheese, in any flavour.

Well in the case of Hoffman, he's getting his lower legs chopped off, sat on a chair inserted into a carved out Mobile Toolkit, having his skin covered in bandages and a silver mask inlaid into a more "man in the iron mask" helmet with a bowler hat sat oddly on top. I'm also thinking of having the blood bag from the morgue accessory pack and a brass gramaphone to amplify his speech. Needless to say it'll be hard to recognise him =]

Rusty Alce will be getting a head swap, a circular saw blade on her back and her gun replaced with a lantern - at the least. Mortimer is more simple, but then at least he's representing Mortimer.

I'm just wondeirng if this list would actually work and whether I'm better off with Nicodem or McMourning.