Generalist Crew?

Yuanti

I am just getting into Malifaux and I've always loved playing the "generalist" teams (humans/elves in BB, space wolves/GK in 40k) that have a little bit of everything available.

I'm not looking for the overpowered crew, just the crew that has melee options, ranged options, and spell options. It seems to be that Sonnia might be the crew, but I just have the bare bones rules book and a rasputina/ophelia crew to learn the game with so I'm not sure of her crew's melee options.

I'm going to be posting this in Arcanist page as well as I like the look of all the crews there. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I would say that Sonnia's crew is more well rounded as she herself is more of ranged and when needed melee model. While she won't hold her ground against Lilith or Lady J, she can be quite fierce against high CA models. Plus the Witchling stalkers are decent at range thanks to hunter. and are great in melee. Never underestimate the 6 inch aura that gives a negative flip to enemies casting. Even Sammael has some melee ability, though I would keep him clear at all times.

Sonia is great against high ca and so is Samuel, but that about a third of masters and a small handful of minions. I don't think she would appeal to your play style.

Also it is hard to compare point cost like gamins synergy with Raspy bring a lot to the table. Her spell range is now extended and she can stay out of line of sight. Well worth the points. Some models will seem weak but the synergy they bring with certain masters will balance them.