Using Teddy

Alviaran

So, as my last purchase of Gencon before walking out the doors Sunday, I grabbed the really nifty Nightmare Teddy as am impulse buy. My Kirai crew is coming along already but I'd like to get two crews into a decent spot. Since this Teddy is just so darned nifty, where do I go with him?

The first thing I see obviously is Kade and Candy because of their interactions. Are these really necessary to make Teddy worth it? Or is it just a nice bonus?

Which masters can really make good use of him? If Kade and Candy, should I be looking to Pandora still? What about the Dreamer? Though it seems he wants Nightmares and has his own built in beatstick.

What about the Dreamer? Though it seems he wants Nightmares and has his own built in beatstick.

Well, the Dreamer seems to really like Teddy since it becomes a Nightmare when included in his crew and he lifts the Rare-1 limitation. I doubt that he would be allowed to take more Teddys than any other master if they were not good to use with him.

As a Dreamer player, I take Teddy when I need staying power.

With Hard to Wound 2 and Regeneration 2, he is the closest thing Neverborn has to a tank.

The normal Nightmare minion life cycle can best be described with a quote from Blade Runner:

"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long."

They go in there, do what they're there to do, and if you do it right, you'll be able to suck them up and escape before your opponent has much of a chance to retaliate. If you happen to leave one out (say a Coppelius that has already activated, for instance), then he's probably a goner. This isn't the case with Teddy.

Teddy isn't invincible, but he can take hits better than the rest of the crew. He also has some tricks up his sleeves via Thing of Nightmares and Smell Fears. Flurry is nice, but it will only see use when you play him with Dreamer, or if you play someone who is careless enough to charge Teddy and not kill him.

I get the best use out of him as a tarpit unit for Dreamer. I deploy him amidst a cluster of enemies, and they have to deal with being in his melee range at the start of their activation. If they are living models, then Teddy gets the benefit of his Terrifying ->13. If you had Smell Fear up and someone fails their Terryifying check, then you get a free charge :)

Okaaay...totally missed that.

And you have made my day since above all others, the Dreamer and Leveticus are the two other Masters I really want to build up to accompany Kirai. And given that I have the Nightmare Teddy in hand, he is kind of pushing me towards something to justify him. That the Dreamer does like him is fantastic.

Hm. Now how to paint and base the little monster...

Okaaay...totally missed that.

And you have made my day since above all others, the Dreamer and Leveticus are the two other Masters I really want to build up to accompany Kirai. And given that I have the Nightmare Teddy in hand, he is kind of pushing me towards something to justify him. That the Dreamer does like him is fantastic.

Hm. Now how to paint and base the little monster...

Yup, Teddy shines by far the most with the Dreamer. You may also want to pick up a second or even a third! Otherwise once your ready to start into the Dreamer, check out my Tactica on him (see link in my sig) and that should more then get you started.

Otherwise Teddy sees the field every now and then with Pandora for me. Mainly it's because I like the Theme and he is still a very effective model since it gives Pandora a melee beat stick that can also capitalize on some failed Wp duels (Ie Smell Fear).

@The Model:

It's kinda awesome. Got my stuff last night and am cleaning one of my 3 right now >.>

How is the model? I'm still waiting for mine in the mail.

Absolutely gorgeous. Also, kind of huge. He towers over most of the other minis I've seen in this range (and I think they had all of them in the case at Gencon). Only Nightmare LCB is bigger I think (and I really want him, but I am scared about the price tag). He has two different heads (one grinning and the other scowling with an eye twitch) and two different left arms (one straight and one bent to hold the screaming kid).

If I could have afforded it, I'd have grabbed two for sure. But the one I had was the last of my money and an impulse as my friend bought up the stuff for his first crew as well.

Edited by Alviaran