Need help with Perdita!!

badgermokey

Looking to get into Malifaux, and quite like the look of either Perdita or Colette as my first Master.

I've never played before, and would quite like some help with where to start.

If i buy the Gunslingers box set, what else would i need to get to have a 35SS list? And anything else that is useful to have on the sidelines to make changes to the list.

Looking to get into Malifaux, and quite like the look of either Perdita or Colette as my first Master.

I've never played before, and would quite like some help with where to start.

If i buy the Gunslingers box set, what else would i need to get to have a 35SS list? And anything else that is useful to have on the sidelines to make changes to the list.

Abuela Ortega and the Enslave Nephilim are a must. Then the debate happens. I like the Executioner, some people like an Austiger.

her totem is auto-include for me, I don't care for Abuela since she competes for the masks.

Other than that, anything in the guild will work well with her. The only things I haven't experimented with are the constructs since they are Immune to Influence and can't be 'Obeyed'. But I've run just about everything else - Executioner, Witchlings, Marshals, Sam, Judge, Austringers, (Guild Guard were a little lackluster) but everything else is fine.

Perdita is one of the best DIY masters. She doesn't need anything specific to make her better.

Perdita is a good crew, especially to start out with. I would recommend holding off on Collette until you get used to the game a little. Collette is a powerful master but can be a little tricky to figure out, especially if you are not familiar with the game.

As far as what to take with her to get up to 35 stones, I'd say the Enslaved Nephalim, Abuela, Guild hounds, Austrigers, or Convict Gunslinger would all be good models to choose from. Abuela and the Enslaved Nephalim would be my top choices though if you are on a budget.

My advice on what to take:

Peacekeeper is the absolute best thing you can take to make your guild lists better.

Closely follow by Austringers (but they're hard to play - most newer players deploy them too far away, meaning they only ever get one shot a turn and are a bit neutered, plus they're slow if they ever need to get closer).

Death Marshals are great on paper but poor in play; they're too slow, their guns don't hit hard enough, and they end up in melee very fast where they're not so good. Witchling Stalkers on the other hand, are a lot more focused on melee, can shoot if they need to, can explode, cause magic issues, and more; they should be your go-to cheap models.

Santiago and Convict Gunslinger are your best ranged models. You often only get one turn to shoot, so Rapid Fire, Suppressing Fire, and paired weapons are very good. Plus the Gunslinger is great in melee and Santiago is at least not useless.

Advice on what not to take:

Executioner is very overrated because his stats are so good - not only do you have to use him properly, but your opponent has to also have no idea how to deal with him. If your opponent understands his weaknesses (slow, with no AP bonuses) he'll just be avoided all game.

Lots of guns - Malifaux is a game of movement and taking and holding ground. Almost no list in Malifaux entirely based on ranged attacks is successful with any regularity. It's easy to fall into the trap with guild of running lots of guns, but consider guns support, not mainline units, and build your lists accordingly.

For reference, my most successful and competitive guild list was:

Perdita/Sonnia (either works)

Peacekeeper

2x Austringer

Santiago (can rip stuff a new one, has an extra AP to get into range and rapid fire in the same turn, can survive a return volley and/or not be totally useless in combat)

Convict Gunslinger (as Nino; equally good in melee or ranged)

As you can see - it has lots of shootiness, everything has a gun, but most of its models (Masters, Peacekeeper, both Gunslingers) are also usable in combat.

Edited by Calmdown