McMourning?

glshade

Hey.

Having not had the opportunity to play yet and likeing the good ol doc a bit I wanted go know if it is possible to run him without his nurses... Im not fond of the models but may get the doc and sebastian as blisters to start a gang from there... just wanted some comments on that as a possibility... Thanks

To be honest I found, even though I built lists around them, that the nurses were pretty situational. You definitely do NOT need them for McM. They're not a bad unit btw, but you pretty much will never need 2, and they definitely qualify as "advanced" if you want to play them in such a way that they are worth the cost.

Regards,

TV

To be honest I found, even though I built lists around them, that the nurses were pretty situational. You definitely do NOT need them for McM. They're not a bad unit btw, but you pretty much will never need 2, and they definitely qualify as "advanced" if you want to play them in such a way that they are worth the cost.

Regards,

TV

Thanks (TV) for the food for thought on the nurses.... I may buy the box afterall since the fleshconstruct is in there...

I've read thatbsome people dont think the guilsd autopsy is not worth the SS compared to other choices... me I guess I think they would be more fitting with the fiction for Douglas... and I like the minis for them (also may get the dead justice box if I can not maintain my self control....

I've read thatbsome people dont think the guilsd autopsy is not worth the SS compared to other choices... me I guess I think they would be more fitting with the fiction for Douglas... and I like the minis for them (also may get the dead justice box if I can not maintain my self control....

Autopsies are a pretty good example the way factions are lists are balanced in a lot of systems, not just malifaux. They have guns, which doesn't usually happen with ressers. However for what they cost as a shooter compared to say, guild stuff, they don't match up in a straight fight. In other words you pay a premium for a type of unit you would not otherwise have.

That being said, they not JUST chaff. They are particularly well suited against *living models* powers (so they shoot but their abilities make them a "psych" unit as well) especially ones with average to low willpower.

I like these models too, but like a good list of other stuff, they're quite situational. This may seem like a disadvantage, but I disagree when it comes to McM.

The solution, I think, is*Don't buy autopsies* unless you know they will be super well suited against a certain crew (ie lucius guard spam). Why buy them when you can summon them? The wonderful thing about McM is that he can go into a game and then adapt his crew during play to suit the situation, and for this, having specific models for specific situations is excellent.

I am a big fan of the models too so I've put at least some thought into what situations they would be well suited to. Some ideas:

Autopsies are *not* insignificant but are relatively cheap. Furthermore they are ranged fighters. If you put one inf cover, I bet they could survive at least a bit of shooting.

Autopsies also have a key rule that dictates that they drop no corpse counter. This can generally be considered a disadvantage for a resser crew, who want to cycle counters. However, it also denies the enemy counters.

I believe all these features can combine for a cool unit. McM has some problems in holding ground and generally anything that requires non-insignificant models to hold or be counted or whatever. His cheap stuff is generally insignificant so to contest a table quarter you need commit a decent investment of soul-stones in model(s). Since most of his stuff is also close ranged, it means that they will probably not be supporting you in fights if they have to hold ground. The autopsy fixes both these problems. You can get to a nice spot, summon the blighter into cover on a quarter or objective that requires a model to contest, and leave him be. He can support you in combat a bit from afar, and at the same time hold the line somewhere that is important but not as dangerous. This level of independence is not something I would say is easy to obtain otherwise in the resser list and is the key to using the model successfully. If it's far off you also will care less about the fact that it doesn't drop a counter because you'd probably have to put some effort to go get the counter if it was dropped anyway.

I honestly think of it from a general military, to be specific, a Napoleonic (don't forget good ol' Frederick though!) perspective. You can use a cheap unit that would die easily in open combat to hold ground. If they are positioned defensively in cover etc, they can make up for their lack of effectiveness/quality provided they stick to cover/ a superior position. Your opponent will have to commit a larger investment to take them out in this scenario, making your cheap unit much more cost effective. This also frees up your more effective units to attack the enemy.

All right, so it's super late here and this definitely turned into a theoryhammer rant of epic proportions. I hope you can read through this and get something good out of it anyways!

Regards,

TV

PS: everyone says it but I'll say it again, get dogs! Desperate mercs are an interesting alternative to mix in as well though.

Edited by (TV)