Redemption and a Pocket Watch, Part 6

edonil

"Milord Executioner?"

Phelan turned to the Guild soldier, arching an eyebrow. "Lord Executioner? Really, Sabine?"

She laughed, eyes dancing. "I'm sorry. But that is the title the Governor's Secretary insisted on, and I'm not about to go against that. I just wanted to let you know that we should be at the town within an hour or so."

He grimaced, and something shifted in her expression. "Something wrong?"

"No, not really. Just...it's strange, seeing your face so different."

"What? Is my disguise coming off?" He reached up and tugged at his face, looking at his gloved hand to see if any of the dye or makeup came off. He had colored his skin to give himself the appearance of jaundice, and used a mix of chemicals to make his hair a pale blonde. A few drops of another chemical, applied carefully with more than a little bit of discomfort, had given him bloodshot eyes and darkened his irises to black. The effect was more disturbing than intimidating, enhanced more so with the wolf mask.

"No, it's fine. I keep thinking I'm looking at a stranger, but everytime your expression changes, I keep seeing hints of you. It's very weird."

"That's the point of a disguise. Although, apparently I need to work on my acting, if you can tell something's off that easily." He reached into a saddlebag and took out the mask, putting it over his face. "How do I look?"

"Like something they've never seen," she said after a moment. "So, I've been dying to ask...why are we here?"

He paused, pulling lightly on the reins to stop his horse. "You don't know?"

"None of us do. Anytime we asked, we were told that we're here to protect you, and assist with what you're doing."

Phelan sighed after a moment. "Do you trust me, Sabine?"

"Yes," she said without hesitation.

He took a packet of herbs out of another bag, and handed it to her. "When we get to the barracks, I want you to put this in the food that they're making for tonight. If you have to, convince the cooks to make a stew tonight and put this in it. After that, I want all of you to find the sentries, and stay with them."

"Are you poisoning them?" she whispered in horror.

"What did you think Executioner meant?" he snapped. "You want to know why we're here? We're here to kill the entire barracks, at Lucius' orders. We're here to murder them, and leave this town absolutely defenseless, because the ever so honorable Lord Secretary has decided he wants a bloody example!"

The hurt, horror and pity in her eyes made him feel small, but he refused to allow that to reach his face. "You have your orders, sergeant. Follow them." Angry more at himself than her, he got his horse moving again.

-------

Phelan rode into the town at the head of the group, flanked by two members of the Freikorps, hired specifically for this job. He said little, letting members of the squad speak for him and find out where the local barracks was. Every now and then, Phelan found his gaze drifting over to Sabine, who still wasn't talking to him. The scars on her face were flushed red, and he assumed that it was her anger that caused it. He sighed quietly. He would have to talk to her after all this was done. Assuming, of course, any of their small group was alive.

The assassin reviewed in his mind all the information he had on the garrison. It was led by one Captain Lord Franklin Rose, a minor noble from England whose appointment appeared to be primarily political. It was mid-size for a Guild garrison, about forty-five men, and had become, according to reports, thoroughly riddled with corruption, at least as far as the Guild was concerned. Black market scams, diverting of resources, turning a blind eye to the locals holding back part of their tribute the Guild was owed. That last one was what had prompted Lucius' decision. The other actions were annoying, but nothing surprising. Part of the Guild budget each year assumed that such things would happen. The tribute was almost sacred- allowing it to be ignored could inspire other towns to do the same, and that was unacceptable.

They arrived at the barracks after ten minutes of riding through the town, the riders absolutely silent in spite of some of the townspeople attempts at conversation. Phelan watched as one soldier, face rapidly going through various emotions, ran to the small house in the middle of the fort. Probably an aide warning the captain to expect visitors. His guess was proved correct as an overweight man wearing the rank pins of a captain stepped into the yard, the man's expression the very picture of pompous arrogance. Lord Franklin walked over to join them, and looked at Phelan with disdain.

"What the hell is this? Some court jester here to entertain us?" he sneered.

The assassin dismounted, and pulled a pistol out from his belt. He pulled the primer back, and shoved it into the captain's face, and the courtyard exploded in panic as soldiers on both sides grabbed for weapons. Phelan ignored them all, staring at the captain, pushing his bluff as far as he could, thankful for the mask that hid his expression. Sweat beaded the captain's face as he stared down the barrel of the gun. Men and women around them were shouting at each other, rifles and pistols aimed at each other.

"I am the hand of the Governor's Secretary, Captain," Phelan snarled, his voice echoing back on itself with a disembodied quality to it. "I suggest you employ some respect, or you won't live to regret it." He put the primer down, and lifted the barrel clear of the man's face. With his other hand, he pulled out a letter from the inside pocket of his jacket, and gave it to Franklin.

With trembling hands, the captain opened the letter, his face paling as he read the contents. Sweat continued to roll down his face as he bowed. "I apologize, milord." The soldiers of the garrison looked at each other in confusion, some of them dropping their aim.

"I'm here to inspect your garrison, Captain." Phelan said. He leaned forward, putting his face inches from the other man. "For your sake, you better hope I'm impressed."