Terrain & cover questions

Vinncent

Question

This can be a little ridiculous question, but :/ I wonder if the height of the walls, by RM, has an effect on what cover it gives the model. For example, model with Ht 2'' standing at the wall with a height of 3/4 inches, and its base is hidden completely behind him. It's soft or hard cover?

(of course model is 1'' within the wall and enemy has LoS to him)

If the Ht of wall is greater then half of Ht's model, but enemy still has LoS to him, is then hard cover?

Everything happens at the same level of terrain.

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Hello!

I don't think there anything like this implied in the RM, only the type of terrain (here for a wall would normally be "blocking trait") directs which cover applies; so for both your examples, if your wall has been labelled as "blocking" it will provide hard cover, if it has been labelled "obscuring" (maybe it's a fence or bush) it will provide soft cover only, regardless of how much height of the target it covers.

Hope this helps!

T.

Hello!

I don't think there anything like this implied in the RM, only the type of terrain (here for a wall would normally be "blocking trait") directs which cover applies; so for both your examples, if your wall has been labelled as "blocking" it will provide hard cover, if it has been labelled "obscuring" (maybe it's a fence or bush) it will provide soft cover only, regardless of how much height of the target it covers.

Hope this helps!

T.

So, in both cases it is a contractual matter, how do i treat the wall (as "blocking trait" or "obscuring trait")?

Thanks.

Yes, you choose at the beginning of the game (stone wall would be for example blocking, and lighter wall like bush or light fence would be obscuring). Once the trait of each element has been determined it keeps it for the whole game.

So when resolving your shooting through an obstacle you would check:

a. is there LoS or not

b. if there's LoS and the target is within 1" of the element, check what trait the element has, as decided at the beginning of the game

In all instances there will be 1 neg twist on the attack, and if the obstacle is "blocking" it will also provide +1 armour to the target

:)