My First Malifaux Crew - Neverborn's The Dreamer

CalmPlains

Hello all, thanks for stopping by.

I have read through both the tactica, and the online rulebook several times now, and I am starting to get a grasp on things, but wanted some input from the great community here on the forums.

Originally I intended my first crew to be:

Dreamer/LCB - Cache 6

Daydream

Daydream

Daydream

Coppelius

Stitched

Stitched

Teddy

I have already ordered the Bad Dreams starter box, plus Teddy, and have made 3 custom Daydreams models (see my sig).

However, given all the extra time I have while waiting these past 3 weeks for my order to arrive (ugh), I have also managed to sculpt an Insidious madness model, and it got me thinking as to whether I should retool my first crew list or not.

At this point I have very little interest in the Lu Lu Lemon twins, but any other nightmares are fair game.

Should I drop a Daydream and pick up an Alp, or are they only good when in numbers that become "cheesy"?

Should I drop a stitched and pick up a madness?

All suggestions are welcome, and explanations would be very helpful!

Hello all, thanks for stopping by.

I have read through both the tactica, and the online rulebook several times now, and I am starting to get a grasp on things, but wanted some input from the great community here on the forums.

Originally I intended my first crew to be:

Dreamer/LCB - Cache 6

Daydream

Daydream

Daydream

Coppelius

Stitched

Stitched

Teddy

I have already ordered the Bad Dreams starter box, plus Teddy, and have made 3 custom Daydreams models (see my sig).

However, given all the extra time I have while waiting these past 3 weeks for my order to arrive (ugh), I have also managed to sculpt an Insidious madness model, and it got me thinking as to whether I should retool my first crew list or not.

At this point I have very little interest in the Lu Lu Lemon twins, but any other nightmares are fair game.

Should I drop a Daydream and pick up an Alp, or are they only good when in numbers that become "cheesy"?

Should I drop a stitched and pick up a madness?

All suggestions are welcome, and explanations would be very helpful!

Well welcome to the Neverborn setion! I take it you have not had many chances to actually play Malifaux yet correct?

If this is the case you probably want to avoid Madness for the time being and focus on what you have. That list you built is a great beginners list because it focuses mostly on the Dreamers bury and unbury mechanics to work it's magic. Sure each one of those models are great on their own, but what makes that list really work is mastering the basics of your master. So I would say, stick with what you have there for right now... it's going to take a few games to get the Dreamers play style down fully and then more practice from there to perfect it.

The reason I say stick with this list is all those models are self contained and rather solid. Teddy is very straightforward, just set him down and let him go. You could even switch out the 2 Stitched for another if you felt like it. Coppelius is a good introduction to neverborn trickery and he is a lot more then an eye gobbling melee master, there is a bunch of subtlty to him. The Stitched Togethers are some of the toughest models in the game and thus a great model for when your starting out because they are very forgiving. The thing you really need to learn about them is that they are ment to die. Infact, it is often the case that the turn they die they are the most dangerous (due to Reactivate from Does Not Die in the right circumstances).

So I would strongely recommend sticking with that list for right now as, and I really cant stress this enough, the most important thing you NEED to learn with the Dreamer is how to work and maxamize his bury and unbury mechanics.

Even a single Alp can be useful, especially if you have Coppelius. A common strategy I employ is trying to isolate one enemy model (usually via Lilitu Luring the model) then having Coppelius Paralyze it and kill it off in a turn or to... gathering eyes the whole way. After a few turns you have a sizable Alp bomb waiting to back up your main force and just in time for the end of game push. They get cheesy when you bring 4+ of them, because they can start covering a huge area and it really sorta becomes no fun to play against. Sure there are ways to deal with it, but I would not make your list about it. Generally 2 - 3 is ok, you may get some dirty looks.... but if they are using oh Corphyee, Shikome, etc you can just give them it right back ;) Alps are FAR from the meanest thing in the game, they are more annoying then anything else.

Madness is more specialized in it's use with the Dreamer, its a huge main line unit for Pandora but the Dreamer doesn't do as many Wp duels. BUT that said, having PE up and dropping in a bunch of Terrifying Nightmares along with the Madness can very quickly cause your opponents crew to run for their lives. Really, I would not use him right off the bat, practice with the others first then start working him in as you see fit. If you want to focus more on Wp duels (say via Stitched Togethers) then they are a great asset! Gamble for your Life against an opponent with a negative flip on their Wp? Kinda an easy win most times.

Any way, hope that helps! Ask questions if you got them.

I think the best advice I could provide for the Dreamer is 'Listen to Karn'. I started the dreamer a few months ago and found his starting advice very helpful.

As soon as you start tailoring your crew to a specific scenario you will get more use out of the Madness. I love using him with the stitched togethers (as Karn suggests) for some real unexpected high damage dealers.

One thing you might want to concider is getting in quite a few soulstones. The dreamer generally has 5 to start with but I rarely go into a fight without 7+. Knowing that you can mangle pretty much anything Chompy hits is worth its weight in gold.

I second learning shuffling with Dreamer/Daydreams. It will take a few games to really nail down, but when you do you'll be flying all over the board, striking fast and hard and getting out of Dodge before your opponent has a chance to strike back.

I'd recommend checking out the Malifux tactica website if you haven't already:

http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/

as it has a good deal of information on shuffling with the Dreamer and Daydreams. After you get used to playing with the Dreamer, Lelu/Lillitu are a great idea, and can be lots of fun with the Dreamer.