Newbie Questions

Steamage Dandy

Hello,

I want to try out Malifaux, because the worldworksgames really convinced me.

Well, i'm considering getting Hamelin as my first Master, basically to give the game a try and see if i want to get more stuff.

Anyway just in case i'd like to know what else i'll need ti buy later on.The wretch and a pack of ratcatchers seems only logical, but how many extra rats, or even stolen should I get ? And is there anything else that's a must have with Hamelin ?

Also - is there any Master that would make a nice opposition for Hamelin as far as background or playstyle are concerned ?

Hmm...well, Hamelin isn't exactly the easiest (or cheapest) master to get right away. Typically, you'll want a total of 2 Ratcatchers, 2-3 Stolen, and at least 9 Rats, probably 12. Just sort of depends on how your games go.

But more importantly, are there other people in your area that play already? If there are, then you're probably OK, but if you and others are just starting out, then I would suggest going with somebody other than Hamelin. Hamelin is a crew that will tend to really frustrate your opponents, as he's quite difficult to beat, and rather boring to play against sometimes.

I don't want to dissuade you completely from him, if he really interests you because of his playstyle or fluff. Just want to make sure you are well-warned. If you buy Hamelin, you may find yourself wanting a different Master soon, as there is pretty much only 1 way to play him, so he can get to be a tad stale.

Just a word of warning people generaly find Hamelin frustrating to play against (look through the forums and you will see plenty of threads on it), he is also not realy a streight forward master (dosent follow alot of the main rules and has his own complicated mechanics)

That said if you are intrested in him go for it.

For the 35pt level the basics would be

- Starter Box (Hamelin, Nix, 3 rats and 3 stolen I believe)

- Obedient Wretch (not necessary but nice to have)

- Rat catcher (contains 2)

- Stolen (contains 3) again not necessary but nice to have

- rats, you want say 15-20

Aditional models (a bit harder to use etc..)

- Cainine remains 1-2 packages

- Terror tots (1 pack contains 3) hamelin can hire these and grow them

- young nephelim (1 pack contains 2)

- Possibly mature nephelim

Thank you for the advice !

I really do like Hamelin's background and also the models, however he does seem quite expensive for starters and I really would not want to frustrate my friends as we indeed are all just starting out.

Do you have any reccomendations as for what Master to choose for starters ? Others I find especially interesting either background- and/or miniature-wise are Colette, The Dreamer, any of the Gremlins, and maybe Nicodem.

Colette and the Dreamer are both very hard to start with as they both break some of the core mechanics of the game. Gremlins have a lot of flavor but in my area no one plays them yet so I dont know weather or not they are any good.

Another thing to consider is what other masters for the same factions do you like? If you like Raspy and Ramos a little then go with Colette. If you like Lilith and Collodi then go with the Dreamer. It is always better to have several masters from the same faction then one or two masters from every faction.

Edited by BigGreen

"Normal Masters are generally Guild ones, so Perdita if you like the idea of Wild West gun-ho chic, or Lady Ja for melee terror!

Reserrectionists arent too bad, their core mechanic being to summon more creatures. They are generally fairly easy to pick up and play. If you like Nicodem, that could be a good choice, but any of the Resurrectionists (except for Kirai) would be a good Master to start out with.

Neverborn are rather tricksy, so would suggest, apart from Lilith, you avoid them. Zoraida isnt too bad, but she tends to select models from every faction, so may be something to consider later rather than starting.

Outcasts, best option is Victoria's. You get 2-for-1 on your master! But they are a bit more fragile. Also, being Outcasts, you dont have a soul stones boost to your cache, so crews tend to be a bit smaller than those from other factions, if you want to go into a game with soulstones (and you do want to!)

Hope that gives a bit of an idea

Eh, don't knock Colette too much though. I started with the Viktorias for about 2 weeks, and then switched over to exclusively Colette for the next 2-3 months. So, in essence, Colette's crew was roughly my starting Master. The Dreamer is also sort of tricky to start with, but not impossible. And both of those are certainly a lot more fun to play, and a lot more versatile over all than Hamelin.

The Gremlins and Nicodem will both sort of suffer from a similar problem as Hamelin, in that it's quite expensive to build armies for them, as you need lots of pieces to summon.

It appears like the majority of the Masters I mentioned are kind of abnormal, where playstyle is concerned. What then are "normal" master you could reccommend for a beginner to get to know the core mechanics of the game ?

Good info here on starting the game. Brief overview of crews, comparative ease of play and boxset sizes.

http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/Gathering+Supplies