Another one of those "New to Gremlins" Threads...

Regnak

Don't forget that the Warpig can Eat Your Fill, healing back up to full. Granted, it needs the chance to do so, but I've had one do that many times against me when it was at just 1 or 2 wounds left.

Personally, I'd use one as a distraction/speedbump against opposing forces.

If you're more interested in keeping it alive, maybe try using it as a sort of backstop defense and keep a wounded Gremnlin (one who just 'Got His Bro' would work great) nearby for it (the pig) to eat if it gets too wounded.

Tried the Piglet Swarm and wow, it just didn't work. All that effort for something hitting on Cb4? I'm not convinced. If the Piglets were significant, you could pull some objective grabbing wonders.

I'm going to try out a Warpig for objective grabbing on next gaming night. Is there a list that Somer runs that is a worthy alternative to the gunline?

Tried the Piglet Swarm and wow, it just didn't work. All that effort for something hitting on Cb4? I'm not convinced. If the Piglets were significant, you could pull some objective grabbing wonders.

I'm going to try out a Warpig for objective grabbing on next gaming night. Is there a list that Somer runs that is a worthy alternative to the gunline?

The Hog Whiperers can help overcomethis piglet dificiency a bit by giving them reactivate.

They can also grant said piglet a healing flip.

Also, slop haulers are practically needed for any offense - gunline or pig boomerang. Not only do they heal your stuff, using truffles and oo a girl (from ophelia), you can get them into range to do the slop pulse, dropping opposing models df to 4 and allowing your gremlins to fire buckets o lead at them. Given you should have a large card advantage from skeeters casting a gremlins luck on your opponent, you should be able to cheat hits, trigger dumb luck, and generally cause a moderate amount of damage from many strikes. If your pigs are also stampeding through enemy lines, it doesn't matter if you hit them because you should either have the cards to cheat a miss, or have the cards to cheat severe damage and catch your intended target with the blast. Alternatively, if you have ophelia, she has aim high, which means you can engage a target with your pigs and blast it with your gremlins.

Gremlins are just a crew that needs a lot of synergy in your position and activations. They're definately better at the 30ss and higher territory

Also, slop haulers are practically needed for any offense - gunline or pig boomerang. Not only do they heal your stuff, using truffles and oo a girl (from ophelia), you can get them into range to do the slop pulse, dropping opposing models df to 4 and allowing your gremlins to fire buckets o lead at them. Given you should have a large card advantage from skeeters casting a gremlins luck on your opponent, you should be able to cheat hits, trigger dumb luck, and generally cause a moderate amount of damage from many strikes. If your pigs are also stampeding through enemy lines, it doesn't matter if you hit them because you should either have the cards to cheat a miss, or have the cards to cheat severe damage and catch your intended target with the blast. Alternatively, if you have ophelia, she has aim high, which means you can engage a target with your pigs and blast it with your gremlins.

Gremlins are just a crew that needs a lot of synergy in your position and activations. They're definately better at the 30ss and higher territory

Thats the thing though. You keep bringing up Ophelia. I feel confident when leading a crew with her. Somer is my area for improvement - does he really need her to work?

I wouldn't say so, no. What ophelia does is add a decent shooting model to the crew, with some extra push options, but most importantly, she makes a regular bayou gremlon gunline function much better due to the elimination of whoops.

If you don't take ophelia, the key models in the crew remain the same - slop haulers for healing flips and lowering defence, piglets for stampeding, skeeters for sooey and card shenanigans. Even a cb4 goblin can hit against a df4 models if you have a cheaters hand and your opponents doesn't, you just have to be slightly more careful.

I'm not sold on the hog whisperer yet, if I'm honest. The best thing about him for me is survival of the fittest, and its quite a few stones to pay for that.

With the Hog Whisperer you use Reactivate on a Pig, which will do wounds to it. That pig doesnt immediately reactivate, it goes after the Hog Whisperers activation ends. So you then use his (0) action Sweet Nuthins to heal at least 1 wound (unless the Black Joker) before it reactivates. It's something I failed to notice back when I just used Som'er.

It's always going to be an uphill battle when playing Som'er. He isn't the worst master in the game, his tools are the problem. They have become much better due to rising powers (not just LaCroix stuff) but it still isn't easy. Just have fun with them (don't think I need to tell you guys that though hehe).

Found a Somer list without any LaCroix that I quite liked. It may have been in part due to lucky Stank Clouding but ho hum.

Somer (2 Cache)

2 Skeeters

Malifaux Rat

Hog Whisperer

Slop Hauler

5 Gremlins

Pretty self explanitory stuff. Warpig was golden for grabbing a treasure marker. Prefer him to the Piglets as its just the one thing to control. Biggest trick I found was copping five wounds on Somer with Gremlin's Luck and then finishing off their hand with a Skeeter. Best point to do this is midgame, after they've spent a few turns cultivating a good hand.