Cogs and gears

Gotama

Well, I'm considering Ramos and I want to be able to make modular spiders by gluing the spiders to a cog or gear and the drilling a magnet into them. I'm having a hard time locating good clock parts or RC car that would be suitable in size. Has anyone ordered any from online?

Did something very similar to what you are planning.

Go to ebay and search for watch parts.

Also, you might have more success gluing the magnet to the bottom of the spider and then gluing the watch part to your base.

That's what I did and it works great. Got 9 of 'em like that so I can switch between swarms and single spiders without a hitch.

Another option depending on how cheaply you can source them is pulling apart wind up toys or those pull back/push cars from discount stores... usually the motors in those things contain a couple springs, 3-5 cogs, and some interesting gubbins.

For my spiders I mounted them on the little metal disc that holds the wick inside a tea candle (perfect size and already a magnetic alloy so I only needed one magnet on the base)

Edited by tenabrae

Did something very similar to what you are planning.

Go to ebay and search for watch parts.

Also, you might have more success gluing the magnet to the bottom of the spider and then gluing the watch part to your base.

That's what I did and it works great. Got 9 of 'em like that so I can switch between swarms and single spiders without a hitch.

Just did a search for "gears" on eBay earlier today. It returned a few lots of various size watch parts for around $12 iirc.

Another option depending on how cheaply you can source them is pulling apart wind up toys or those pull back/push cars from discount stores... usually the motors in those things contain a couple springs, 3-5 cogs, and some interesting gubbins.

For my spiders I mounted them on the little metal disc that holds the wick inside a tea candle (perfect size and already a magnetic alloy so I only needed one magnet on the base)

This^^

You can also go into a Camera Shop/Photo processor and ask for the used dispposable cameras. They contain all sorts of funky gidgets ans gadgets... springs, cogs, wheels, circuitry...

I have a heap of them which I hoped to use in an expanded Ramos crew and diorama, but I never got the time and ended up selling my Ramos crew.