A Malifaux Murder Mystery

Chucklemonkey

Or Like any Other Day (redux)

After not getting any inspiration to take the original part 1 of Like any other day forward I knew I wanted to move it in a new direction.

So here is part two of that story, which answers any questions anyone who read the first part might have but is really the new set-up to take the story forward.

As always, comments and critque more than welcome. Would also be interested to hear if people think the character is too crude or if he could be even ruder. I did tone back some of the original dialogue and inner thoughts.

Edit: also, anyone who can tell me why the horse is called 59 gets a cookie, although it's almost certainly far too tenuous.

Anyway, hope you enjoy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I drained the bottom of my coffee tankard and placed it at the end of my desk. I hoped the cleaner would wash it, I knew I wouldn’t, and there is only so many times I want to drink from a dirty tankard.

I leaned back in my chair and put my feet on the desk.

As soon as I had, the Chief waved at me from through in his glass fronted office.

I removed my feet from the desk.

This didn’t seem to settle the bug up his ass, as he again waved his arm at me. He looked like a puppet whose master was having a seizure.

I realised I was being summoned.

I hoped this wasn’t more fallout from my last case; Joe Public seemed up in arms that I had killed 3 little uns, never mind the fact they were under the control of some filthy resser. They would have had my head if I hadn’t of pummelled theirs into the dirt! People just didn’t understand the work of your average guild guard lieutenant.

“What’s the problem?” I asked as I entered Chief Buzzkill’s office. He didn’t hold much respect from me; or any other of the guys in the squad for that matter. He was all about the politics and not the job. And just to be clear, Buzzkill wasn’t his real name; neither were any of the other names we usually called him.

“You have a new case, and this one’s a doozy.”

His nasal drone always made me want to break his face. I didn’t imagine this would do anything to improve his voice, It sure would make me feel better though!

“We have a showgirl dead in suspicious circumstances!” He continued. He seemed too excited. I didn’t know what this case had to do about politics, but the possibility for his advancement was the only thing I had previously seen get this sort of reaction from him.

“What’s so crazy about that?” I asked. “Those broads always seem to get in trouble. Dangerous job a theatre performer, it seems.”

“This one was found in a locked chest up at the old Invogorge mining complex.” He replied. “There had been rumours going around that there was a link between the M& SU and the performers from the Star, in relation to possible Stone smuggling for some time but they always seemed too fanciful to be true. This might be the chance to establish the link. It might be nothing of course but I can’t take that chance that’s why I’m putting you, my best man on it.”

He called every one of us his best man. His sycophantic attitude made me wanna puke more than the time I had to sit in on one of McMourning’s anatomy lectures.

Yeah, you heard right....sycophantic. We get word of the day toilet paper on this side of the breach too.

“Anyway, you had better saddle up and get on over there.”

I left without another word and headed to the pound, where my shitty beat up carriage was waiting for me. I dreamed of upgrading to the new carriage master VX3000 with bucket seats and twin awnings but for now my modest salary wouldn’t allow it and I was stuck with the butt of the departments jokes, hell one of the doors wouldn’t even open. Still, at least I had a damn good horse pulling it. French she was, and an absolute beauty, she was called 59. I refused to tell anyone why I had named her that.

I pulled up at the mine to be greeted by a bunch of whacked out old miners who looked like they had been inhaling soulstone gin for half of my lifetime, some posh guy in a guild uniform, and some snot nosed little punk who looked whiter than a Hoarcat's nether regions in deep midwinter!

Turned out the kid was named Charles and he had found the body.

“Charles, take me where I need to go, everyone else stay here and don’t touch anything.”

He lead me into the office building and then the back room. I scanned the room taking in as much as I could, including a bottle of soulstone gin in the corner that would be going in my very own evidence bag. I then peered into the chest he pointed at from across the room.

“She’s beautiful isn’t she?” I heard vaguely from behind.

“Sure she is.” I said, adding ‘before someone snapped her neck like a twiglet’ in my own head. I went back to my carriage, Charles following me like a bad case of Haemorrhoids, and called in the science boffins before, grabbing my camera for some quick shots of the body.”

Once that was done it was time to saddle up again. I knew where I had to go next in what was clearly a murder investigation. It was time to heading to the Star.

Charles was looking up at me like some lost puppy. I didn’t figure him to have the sacks for what came next.

“Can I join you, I may be able to offer some help?” he asked.

“What in Malifaux’s name would some puffed up little bean counter be able to offer me? Step away from my carriage.”

The broad in the ticket office had the kind of deep brown eyes and cavernous cleavage you would kill your own mother for; especially after one too many beers. If I wasn’t on duty I would have done everything in my power to gain admission.

“Hey Sugar, who’s in charge here?”

She looked at me like I had asked her if it was ok to use my word of the day toilet paper right there in the lobby.

“That would be Miss Collette..... and she’s busy.” She responded.

It was time to whip out and flash what made all the ladies swoon.

My Guild Guard Lieutenants badge!

“I think she’ll make the time for what I have to discuss.”

“Step on through then.....sir.!” She seemed to have a contempt for me that only my ex-wife - and my dwarf buddy Graeme – could possibly have matched.

I stepped through the Red Velvet curtains into the auditorium, not realising that this case was not only going to take over my life but put me through a whole world of pain.

Edited by Chucklemonkey

Years of dedicated policework, with hours and hours spent sitting on my ass at stake-outs had honed my sense of observation to that similar to a Malifaux raptor.

All of those instincts told me one thing. This place had so much eye-candy it could turn your crotch diabetic.

I tried not to let anyone see my double-take and strode purposefully forward. A broad with red hair, top hat, and legs that went all the way up, stepped through a door to the side of the stage and walked towards me with an air of authority that suggested she owned the place.

I assumed this to be Ms Du Bois.

"Well, howdy officer. I hear you're looking to have a little talk to me about sum'thin or other?" She asked as she reached me by the first row.

"Yes ma'am, i'm a lueitenant with the guard and have a few questions relating to the death of what appeared to be one of the showgirls who frequent this here establishment...."

Ten minutes later it had become clear to me that this broad knew more than she was letting on. I was getting nowhere with my questions though and thought I might head back to the station to hear if the science bods had any word for me. After that I could always come back and break her skull, Being a member of the guild allowed for such useful interrogation techniques.

To be honest though it was getting a little late in the day and I had promised Graeme a trip to the saloon tonight. I loved drinking with that little guy. Not only was he my best friend, I did some of my best thinking when I was out drinking with him. Also, because of his size he couldn't hold his liqour too well which made him a cheap date.

With thoughts of a cool beer running through my head I made my excuses and headed out of the theatre and back to my carriage. I started 59 forward and hit the road back to the station.

Less than a couple o' miles later I thought I had spotted a tail. At first it had caught my attention because of the make of the carriage. Yup, you guessed it, a shiny new VX! After taking a few turns down quieter side streets I had confirmed it, and if they didn't know I had made them, they had to be dumber than a bayou gremlin.

I made back onto the main cobbled road and tried to weave in between traffic, I was heading onto the bridge when they made their move, gaining ground until we were both racing forward, side-by-side, at full pelt. They veered towards me, there was nothing 59 could do but veer right and I could feel my right wheel just about to go over the side.

Ten more yards and I would be safely across the bridge, that was all I needed. I held 59's reins tight and egged her on. The VX was not going to let me go that easy though and renewed their assualt on my left side. My right wheel slipped of the bridge.

Luckily, we had made it far enough across that it just caught on the ground on the other side. This meant we did not fall headfirst into the river but instead careened straight into a goddamn butchers shop.

I had taken just about enough of their crap and I reached for the handle of the left door and gave it a yank. I had forgot that side door had been jammed for months but before I could think of alternatives two pairs of hands reached in and dragged me through the window.

A crowd of onlookers had gathered but not anybody did anything to help out as they pulled me up into their carraige. I reckon I clocked one of them pretty good on the jaw but then I took one to the guts and by the time I was breathin' again we were on the move. My mind was racing, was this a revenge attack for the death of those resser kids? An old score being settled? Or just some miscreants taking a pop at the guild?

I settled down after seeing the size of them. There were three of them in the back with me. One of them was huge. I liked to think he was called Curly.

"Listen numnuts, if you don't want to be a smear on the road next time you had better watch who you cross!" screamed the one I would affectionately refer to as Moe.

"Numnuts??? What is this, vaudeville?" I retorted. I would have chuckled but my ribs were hurtin.

With that the last of them, a greasy little fella who looked like he should have been working in the back end of an opium den, I would call him Larry, slapped me across the face.

"Stay away from the Star! Got that?"

I was going to answer that my sense of professional pride, dedication, and got damn sense of right and wrong; together with a deeper sense of the notions of justice that people would struggle to put down in words if they was writin' em, would prevent me from carrying out their polite request.

In the end however, I went with my greater sense of self preservation and said "Sure"

"Good, he maybe isn't as dumb as he looks" said Moe, before shouting at the driver to pull on over.

They pulled me out of the cab, and curly stuck one in my ribs before they pulled out, the wheels of the carraige spitting dust and crud into my face.

I had no idea where I was and the only thing I knew right now was I really wanted that beer.

Edited by Chucklemonkey

Every sinew in my body screamed for her to finish and to bring me the relief I sought.

For the past four hours, as I walked back into old Malifaux - followed by a debriefing by the chief - it had been all I could think about. Now the sweet moment approached.

Her hand stretched towards me, and with a final flourish she placed my ice cool glass of beer on the counter.

“Stick it on the tab” I said without taking my eyes off it. Beads of condensation began their measured journey south on its chilled outer surface. I lightly placed the fingertips of my left hand on the glass, careful not to grab it wholeheartedly. I wanted to keep this one cool.

Only two saloons I knew of had the capability and financial muscle for beer cooling equipment. Some said it was the work of the Arcanists. If it was, then hell, they couldn’t be all bad.

“Are you going to drink that or make love to it?”

“Shut the hell up Graeme!”

Graeme was my best bud, and there was no-one who I would rather spend an evening with, excluding the obvious of course. Graeme had a taste for the finer things in life. I don’t know how he made his money but he had the finances to enjoy the luxury food and fine women he preferred. He also loved his alcohol, aged cognac, Champagne, Soulstone Gin; Graeme loved it all and knew more about them than most. He found my liking for beer distasteful and was always ragging on me about the fact I couldn’t hold hard liquor. Apparently it makes you less of a man....

I didn’t totally understand why he hung out with a schmuck like me. I just assumed he liked to rough it on occasion and I suppose it’s always good to have a friend in the Guild.

I had filled him in on all of the day’s events as we had walked here. Some would say it was a breach of protocol to go giving details of a murder investigation to friends and family, I say hang that, Graeme was one of the smartest guys I knew and sometimes the chats I had with him resulted in the idea that broke the case wide open. He had withheld his judgement on things until now, I think he could tell how much I needed this drink.

“So what you are saying is that there was a murder, you went to the Star, got nowhere, crashed your carriage, lost 59.”

“I got her back, someone returned her to the station”

“Ok, ok, you got her back, but you got nowhere and then got beat up? You sir, are superb...! Still, at least it seems like you know one thing that might allow you to take the investigation further.”

“Yeah, I just don’t like the idea of getting the crap kicked out of me every-time I have a few questions to ask.”

“Well, I don’t see you have much of a choice. Even if Ms Du Bois, who I am amazed you have not heard of by the way, didn’t know anything, someone over there did, and wasn’t afraid to let you know it.” Graeme went on. “They don’t see you as a threat, If they had they would have kept a lower profile. Something is making them feel safe, they feel confident, like you can’t connect them to the murder.”

I felt that was just about enough work chat for one evening. In truth I was worried. It was 12 hours since I had been called into the Chief’s office and still the case was open. In the Guild we don’t need evidence. Usually an idea of what happened was enough to get that all important conviction, and I didn’t even have that. The guys at the station would be starting to worry about our 100% conviction rate right about now.

We resumed the important activity of getting drunk!

We were promptly thrown out, despite our protestations – Graeme’s word - at 1:00am on the button. The rain smacked off the slick black cobblestones and seemed to bounce right back at us. It always seemed to rain during nights in Malifaux town. It never seemed to wash the crud off the streets though.

In my alcoholic haze, I had forgotten that the Star was pretty much directly on route to Graeme’s - we always went back to his for a final drink, with our without companionship – until he pointed it out; the building, and the fact that all the lights were on well after time.

“Well, perhaps it’s time to meet this beautiful specimen you described in such detail” said Graeme as he stormed up the front steps.

I followed him. I didn’t see that I had much of a choice.

We stepped through the suspiciously unlocked front door. The lobby was silent. Graeme looked up at me and shrugged before marching forward into the auditorium. Again it was empty but at least this time there was signs of life. We could hear muffled voices and what seemed like moving furniture coming from backstage. We quietly made our way forward, that was until my foot made contact with a couple of empty bottles sending them clattering down the central aisle.

Graeme gave me a sharp look as the sound stopped. We were too far forward in the theatre to make a run for it and I sure wasn’t going to jump in between the rows of seats, it was filthy down there, and besides I was a member of the Guild, I can go where the hell I please.

A door by the side of the stage opened and out walked Ms Bu Bois, flanked by a couple of guys. If they were her idea of heavies then I didn’t have much concern.

“Well, howdy officer, what brings you back to my l’il ol’ ‘stablishment? And who is this, your partner?”

I had regained enough composure that the moment of panic I had felt as I knocked over the bottles didn’t affect my voice.

“No ma’am, this here is Graeme, a friend of mine."

She stepped forward, bent down and offered Graeme her hand – and a view most men would pay for. Graeme, being what I would call socially able, seemed to know exactly what he was doing, he took the offered hand and gently pressed his lips lightly against it, taking a little bow as he did so.

“A pleasure to meet you Ms Du Bois, can I just say that I have been an admirer of your work for some time now. I thought your performance in ‘a little drop of Candy’ was just terrific!”

“Why, aren’t you just the sweetest?” she seemed to beam.

“I try to be, in public at least.” He responded.

“We just happened to be walking by and noticed the lights.” I interrupted. “Thought it best to come in and check there was no problem, especially given the day’s events”.

“Why officer, that is very kind of you, I am glad to see you take such care of us citizens. There is no problem here though officer, we are just doing a read-through of my new show. It opens tomorrow....you know what....as a sign of my appreciation for your concern I am going to have Wilkinson here send you over a couple of pairs of tickets for opening, and afterwards I am sure I can arrange a little backstage tour for you and your dates.”

Graeme was staring at the chap Wilkinson, but broke eye contact the moment the tickets were offered.

“That would be just delightful Ms Du Bois, I am looking forward to it already. I shall of course have to find myself a lady to bring along, although I fear none will measure up to the beauty that will be on stage”

Sometimes Graeme made me sick!

“Alas” he continued “as all is well here, there is little else I can see that would justify us imposing further on your delightful company, we’ll be leaving now, but, and I am sure I speak for both of us here, we look forward to seeing you this Friday.”

He grabbed me by the arm and almost dragged me out of the theatre.

By the time we were back on the street it was clear he was excited about something.

“Did you see that?” he asked.

“What?”

“The red dust on Wilkinson’s shoes, you said the office at the mine was covered in it. Also, given it has been raining since before we hit the saloon, it’s not something that could have been picked up in the last five hours or so.”

“That is ridiculous! It’s dust. On shoes. There could be any number of reasons for it.” I know I said he was smart but sometimes I think he fancied himself as the detective. I assumed he was a little drunker than I thought.

He seemed hurt by this and didn’t talk to me all the way to his place. I wasn’t even offered the customary nightcap. He simply stomped in, and closed the door in my face.

I set my collar and turned to make my way back to the hole I called a home. The rain was coming down so hard it was almost painful. Still, I didn’t have too far to go. Not compared with my walk that afternoon anyway. Although this time I had to wade through Malifaux’s rat infested sidestreets.

Thoughts of the case were swirling around my head, but the fuzz of the evening’s beer stopped them from making any sense.

I turned my last corner before home.

I didn’t see the punch coming. Before I could do anything it landed square in my chops. It didn’t knock me down but it sure had surprised me. I managed to stagger back a few steps and got a clear look at what I faced.

It was Curly.

Outside of the carriage he looked even larger and meaner than he had before. Still, size isn’t everthing, that’s what my ex-wife used to say, and I was not going to be bullied by this overgrown $$$$$$$$$$.

I ran forward determined to give him everything I had, my right arm swung for him. I could feel that this was going to be the kind of punch you see in the shows. The kind that knocks the guy out cold.

He leaned backwards.

It wasn’t much, but it was enough, and with my momentum I pretty much went facefirst into the road.

I had just enough time to think that Curly had got lucky, catching me after a few drinks, before I blacked out.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Not my favourite part - which is a shame as it is the longest - but hopefully you have managed to stick with it so far as it sets up the rest of the story ok in my opinion and things start getting properly interesting in part 4.

Edited by Chucklemonkey

I am liking this story even more! I kinda wish i had done something like this...

Maybe after i wrap up the Black stories I will try my hand at a more light hearted tale!

But keep it up, I will keep reading!

Many thanks AB, I take that as a compliment. Part 4 coming up.

We're about half way there now

I made my way gingerly through the station trying to get to my desk while avoiding the stares of my colleagues. I had woken up that morning with my ribs aching and a face looking like that of a beat down Panda. Not only that, but my case was still live on the chalk board.

I managed to make it to my desk - without undue aggravation - to find four tickets to tonight’s show at the Star right there waiting for me. This broad really took the biscuit. My anger would have to wait though. I had been looking forward to my first coffee of the day since the moment I had painfully stumbled out of bed. Unfortunately the cleaning lady had not cleaned my tankard. I wasn’t sure how this day could get so shitty so quickly.

I suppose one more time from a dirty tankard couldn’t hurt.

“Get in here!” screamed the Chief.

I had hoped he would have been out kissing some higher-ups ass this morning. No such luck there. I didn’t even manage to take my seat across from him before he went off on one.

“What the hell did you do last night!?!”

“Well sir, I really didn’t do anything, he took me by surprise you s...”

“I’m not talking about the fact you look like you went ten rounds with Killjoy! The Aether-vox has been going off the hook this morning. There are people here who are really not happy with you! Now I don’t know what’s been happening, but when I get a call from the Governor’s Secretary telling me he’s sending some people down here to have a little chat about your conduct, I get antsy.”

He stopped full flow and stared over my shoulder through the glass.

“Here they are now, I guess I will just have to hear your explanation live.”

The door to the office opened and I turned to take a look at who else was going to cause me grief today.

I don’t mind telling you I nearly had a god’damn heart attack.

There they were in bright red official guild attire. Moe and weasel-faced Larry! What the hell was going on here?

“Don’t either of you stand up. I am hoping this isn’t going to take much of my time.” Moe began.

“We warned you to stay away from the Star theatre. The next thing we know you and some midget go storming in there half pissed in the middle of the night.”

“He’s a dwarf not a midget”

“I don’t care if he’s the old king of Malifaux itself. We asked you nicely to stay away and you just don’t seem to have got the message. Now I was all set for taking your career and throwing it in the sewer. A nice job shovelling out the guild stables seems to me to be about right for your level of ability."

“Lucky for you Larry here thinks he sees some semblance of potential in you and thinks that would be a waste of someone with your record. He managed to persuade my bosses that we should appeal to your dutiful good natured side, although I am yet to see it”

Well what d'ya know, that guy was actually called Larry. Still, it was hard to imagine any words of kindness coming from that smug hook-nosed mug of his.

Moe continued “So here’s all you need to know. The dead girl was called Jessica Magnum, she was a member of my team and had been working deep undercover for the past eight months with an Arcanist sub-set that exists within the performers at the Star. She had been tasked with gaining their trust in order to finally establish a link between them and the M & SU. Now her death is a damn tragedy, she was terrific, and I am probably sadder than most to see her pass, but it seems clear she had been made and that’s why she ended up dead, and we can’t have you compromising things further and putting everything at risk! So what I am saying is leave this one to us. Got that?"

I stared at the faces around the room and got the impression my usual attitude to such matters was not going to do me any favours. Still, I couldn’t let this slide without a bit of fun.

“Well just so you know, me and the midget will be going to the theatre tonight, free tickets you see, and I do just love it so. Also, I think I have your killer!” I let that one hang in the air for a while. I didn’t know what I was saying, whether I still had booze in my blood or whether the beating I had taken had knocked me silly. I had to look like I had something.

“His name is Wilkinson, I think he is some kind of stage hand, he was at the theatre last night practically covered in the kind of dust found up at the mine.”

That seemed to stop them in their tracks for a moment.

“Go to your show” Moe replied, as the two of them rose from their seats to leave “but after tonight we don’t want to see you anywhere near this investigation, or the Star, and there will be consequences if we do. We’ll check out this Wilkinson character."

“Oh, and tell your big friend, the next time I see him, he is in serious trouble.” I always had to get the last word in.

They stopped at the door and gave me the once over, then turned and left.

After sitting through another half hour grilling by Buzzkill my head was pounding. I needed a little fresh air, and a lot of tobacco. I headed outside for a smoke.

I was glad only Becker was there. He was a lumbering brute with hardly two brain cells to rub together, still he had his 100% conviction record, so that was something I suppose.

I didn’t think he would be able to shine any light on the situation, but I needed to let off some steam so filled him in anyway.

He shrugged, “sounds like a bad mystery thriller to me, my wife reads them non-stop. I can’t stand that crap.”

I turned and walked back into the station. I don’t even know why I asked him. That guy was an idiot.

Edited by Chucklemonkey

Thankyou indeed. For both the feedback and for taking the time to read it so far.

I think there are only 3 more parts to go before the normal service of me irritating other areas of the forum resumes.

There should be another twist or two, despite giving myself Leeway regarding the level of evidence the guild need, I won't be looking to cheat the ending.

I was getting sick of being played by this broad.

The day had gone slowly, with me just about managing to beat my hangover before meeting Graeme to head over to the show. I had then sat through two hours of people flouncing around in gaudy costumes while Graeme oowed and awed at every move any of them made. That and the fact that he kept prattling on about how nice Du Bois had been, not only to give us free tickets, but pretty much for the best seats in the house had made me irritable.

She was rubbing my nose in it. She had to know more than she had let on, surely.

We were standing outside her changing room door now, waiting for this tour of hers. I pretty much hadn’t been less excited in my life. I checked my pocket watch for what must have been the hundredth time that evening.

“Will you just be patient for once. I’m sure she will be out any minute.”

After how annoyed he had been with me the night before I decided not to come back on him on that one.

I could hear footsteps approaching from the other side of the door and then it slowly began to open.

It wasn’t even her. It was the broad from the ticket office I had had such a pleasurable encounter with a couple of days earlier.

“I’m afraid Ms Du Bois isn’t able to offer you the backstage tour tonight gentlemen, she injured herself during the show and needs some treatment on her ankle straight away. She sends her utmost apologies and is so sorry to have wasted your time and hopes that you at least enjoyed the show.”

I could tell she was smiling inside with every word that tumbled out of that pretty mouth of hers.

“That is such a shame, a tour would have been delightful, still, tell Ms Du Bois the show was terrific and I am sure it will be a big success.” Graeme replied quickly, perhaps sensing that I was not preparing such a measured response.

“Well perhaps I can give you a tour.” She smiled at Graeme. “I have only worked here a few months but I do know most of what goes on around here.”

Her attitude seemed to have changed the moment Graeme had opened his mouth. I did wonder what it was about him that made the ladies want to eat him up like chocolate.

“That’s quite alright.” I quickly interrupted “if you could just show us the way out that would be great, I lost my bearings somewhat when being shown in here.”

“No problem, just follow me”

She started telling Graeme all about herself, it was it seemed to me, one of the most obvious flirtations I had seen in a long time. She led us through the winding back stage corridors, past strangely life-like mannequins, all the time heavily in conversation with Graeme about something or other. Show-girls were passing around us giggling together. Stage hands moving the last of the equipment back to storage.

Graeme stopped when he saw him. It was Wilkinson. He was sitting playing cards with three other stage lackeys. He seemed very young next to all of them, he also looked sad. In any event, he seemed popular tonight, pouring his companions shots of soul-stone gin as they went on playing their game. He didn’t look like he shared their enthusiasm.

I wasn’t sure what had caught Graeme’s attention, but I wasn’t for hanging around here any longer than necessary.

“Let’s get going will we?”

We were led to the door, and Graeme and our guide parted ways. I did not think it would be the last time those two would see each other.

I decided that I owed the little fella an apology due to the night before and I had just the perfect thing to make it up to him. I managed to persuade him that we needed to stop by my place before heading on to the saloon.

We made it there in a little under five minutes. I opened the door to let him in first, but he took one look at the place and said he would wait outside. I rooted around and finally found 59’s saddlebag, I had been amazed it hadn’t been stolen when 59 was returned to the station, but it hadn’t, and as I couldn’t abide the taste who better to have it?

I quickly removed it from the evidence bag, turned and returned to the door to present Graeme with the bottle of Soulstone Gin I had taken from the mine when this unholy mess had all begun.

He looked stunned! “Where did you get this?” He asked, seemingly genuinely touched by my token of affection.

“I just picked it up today from a store in the west-end” I laughed inside, I knew how to play people like a god damn piano.

“No, you didn’t! This is an extremely rare vintage said to be hoarded by the soulstone miners themselves and usually only available to them, or high ranking Guild officials who don’t see taking bribes as against their work ethic! I have only ever held a bottle in my hand once before and yet tonight I see it twice in a half hour. Both times in the hands of people who really can’t afford it.”

I tried to look hurt. “Perhaps the shop owner didn’t know what he had?” My gift did not seem to be having the desired effect.

“You don’t seem to understand how rare this is” he responded “how you and Wilkinson got bottles I really want to know.”

“I’m sorry what?”

“Wilkinson. This is what he and the cronies at the card table were drinking.”

“Wilkinson was drinking this? Tonight? You’re sure?”

Graeme nodded.

If there was one man in Malifaux who knew his booze it was him and I had no reason to doubt him. Thoughts of regaining my 100% conviction rate were swirling through my head. The Chief would be stoked, and if I made the arrest I could rub Moe’s face in it if I ever saw him again.

For what seemed like the tenth time in a couple of days I made my way back to the theatre.

Wilkinson had offered no resistance when we got there, he seemed resigned to it almost. I did a quick search of his locker and found a lock of hair. I didn’t much care who’s it was, the hair, dust and gin were good enough for me. Things did not look good for the kid. By the time I had my turn with him in the interrogation room, followed by the lawyers in their own private room, he would be singing like a canary and I would be moving on from this case.

Things were looking up.

Edited by Chucklemonkey

Ok, so here we go, the last two parts of this story.

As it was a murder mystery kind of a deal I would be very interested to hear if I have managed to pull of an ending that is at least part satisfying, I do hope that I littered enough stuff along the way that this doesn't just come totally from left field and feel like a cheat.

The harsh light I had shining into his face only seemed to accentuate his youth and his fear.

It was unusual for any of us to actually spend time with the perps, standard practice was we just handed them to the lawyers for conviction. I liked to look into their eyes though, to see that they knew the game was up and their life of crime was over.

“You know why you’re here don’t you? I myself witnessed you covered with thick red dust that looked just like the kind that was all over the site of the body, you were also witnessed drinking a rare gin and I think you know the only other place I have seen that stuff. We also have a lock of woman’s hair found in your locker. Our science bods are checking the hair and are heading over to your living apartment to see if the red dust I saw on your shoes matches the samples we had taken from Invergorge.”

“I think we know it will, don’t we?” I continued.

I had seen many things so far in my career, crazed maniacs, lunatics running around screaming about spirits. Hell, I had seen a baby kill someone with a knife once, I didn’t report that I hasten to add, the little freak got away.

I don’t know if that was why I actually wanted to hear what this kid had to say as opposed to just smacking his head into the table, he just didn’t look like the type of perp I normally had run-ins with.

“Maybe you need to come clean. Call it absolution. Because let me be clear, I don’t see you escaping the claws of the executioner. Not for murdering a Guild officer.”

“What are you talking about, a Guild officer?” It was the first thing he had said since I had dragged him by the collar from the Star.

“You know god damn well what i’m talking about! You found out she was undercover and whether it was you acting alone or on behalf of Du Bois, you killed her!” I shouted, slamming my fist down onto the table.

He had raised himself out of his seat and shouted into my face. I was just about to slam him back down, but the words that came out of his mouth surprised me.

“You don’t know what the hell you are talking about! I didn’t kill her, I loved her!”

He slumped back down into his seat. That one I had not seen coming, but I quickly regained my composure. “Ok, so what was the story, cheatin’ on you was she, that why you killed her?”

“You’ve got it all wrong. She was seeing someone else, she told me that much, said it wasn’t her choice though.”

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t know exactly, she never told me who he was. She just said she was mixed up with some guy that she couldn’t shake. I said we should run away together, It took me weeks to persuade her, she kept saying she was scared and that he would always find us, but eventually she came around. We were gonna try to get back to the other side of the breach.”

This wasn’t making any sense, my brain was trying to process the stories he was tellin’ but it couldn’t keep up with his now free flowing words.

“We were going to try tonight as it happened, it was all arranged” he continued.

“Whoa there, perhaps you want to just explain a few things to me. When I get the results from the dust and hair, what will the science guys tell me?” I asked.

“They will tell you the red dust on my shoes matches that from the mine, as soon as I heard a showgirl had been found up by the mine I knew it had to be her, she had been missing for a couple of days, and I ran right up there. If it was her, I had to take a chance, however small, to say my goodbyes. The hair in my locker is hers, she gave it to me on my Birthday last week, said it meant we would always be together. I don’t feel like that’s true right now.”

He slumped at this and placed his hands on the table in what seemed like a praying motion. I noticed how his hands were not that of a bruiser. Although it was too late for this kid now, he had been arrested, it struck me that it would be tough for someone with hands like that to snap a neck, no matter how petite and delicate it may be. I started to have doubts.

“The Gin?”

“It was waiting for me when I got to the theatre tonight. It had a little bow on it. I just thought someone had forgotten about my birthday. They also forgot to leave a card.”

“Why was she up by the mine?”

“Maybe because of this? I checked her room as soon as I heard she was gone, this was there and I didn’t write it”

He pulled a sheet of paper from his trouser pockets and thrust it towards me. I just had time to pick it up when the door was pushed open. I managed to slip it into my pocket as Larry stormed into the room.

"I’ll take it from here, thanks. Time for you to bow out gracefully” Larry had this odd way of speaking out of the side of his face. I would normally have kicked up a fuss but I wanted to read whatever was in my pocket and, in truth, I was gagging for some tobacco.

I took my leave and walked to the station door ready for my smoke. I pulled out what Wilkinson had passed me back in the interrogation room and started to read.

While the letter was hardly a confession it was enough for everything to click. How could I have been so stupid? I stormed back to the interrogation room ready to raise hell. I was too late. Wilkinson was being led away in chains. It would be the last I saw of him. Larry on the other hand was leaning back against the wall looking like a cat who got the cream.

“Thanks for the Sterling work there” he smirked. “You have him good and proper. Everyone from the Governors Secretary to your Chief is going to be delighted that you caught the man that killed one of our undercovers. You may even get a medal or a promotion or something“.

“He didn’t do it. You know it and I know it” I retorted.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, he was arrested wasn’t he? Looks like a job well done to me and with the rewards that will surely come your way I think it calls for a celebration. Join us, we’re in an upstairs room of the Sitting Duck Saloon opposite the Star, a nice little set-up for a stake-out actually. We can toast your success.”

That little weasel was rubbing my nose in it, but I wasn’t going to miss this for the world.

I had made my way to the Sitting Duck Saloon as soon as the Chief had gone about de-briefing me on the now closed investigation. He had been delighted, kept saying how although others had thought we might lose our conviction record, he had had every faith in me and knew that I, his best man, would get the job done.

I was sick to my stomach.

Of the Chief, his little speeches, of the whole damn organisation. Most of all, and i’m not sure where I generated sympathy from, I was sick for Wilkinson. Hanging out with Graeme was clearly growing me a conscience, I would need to curb that, and sharpish.

I stopped outside the upstairs room door, I could hear the three of them laughin’ and hollerin’. I had no idea what I would say to them. I knocked then I entered.

Moe was sat at a small round table, and turned when he heard me enter.

“Ah, if it isn’t our intrepid detective. Welcome. I hear congratulations are in order. The Perp’s been caught and now you can get your sticky nose out of my smuggling investigation. A good day’s work lieutenant”.

“Shut your face Moe, I know what really happened”. I threw the paper Wilkinson had slipped me down onto his table.

“What’s this?”

“This is the letter from you to Jennifer asking you to meet you at the mine entrance to the tunnel used for smuggling soulstones. You were sleeping with her weren’t you? I don’t know how, maybe another mole you have in there, but you found out she didn’t love you and was planning on leaving and you killed her for it. Your position in this investigation made it easy for you to control her. Tell me, did she even want to spend time with you or did you force the issue?”

Curly seemed to make a move for me but Moe held up his hand calming the big fella down before picking up the letter and taking an age to consider what he was gonna come back at me with.

“Firstly, I don’t see my name on it, it could have been written by anyone. Secondly, you have caught the culprit, your work here is done. Hell, rewards will follow for this one. Maybe you should keep our doubts to yourself?"

“Cut the crap will you?” I shouted “it all fits together, you found out she was sleepin’ with some other guy, killed her and then set him up to take the fall. It was about the sex, wasn’t it? It’s always about the sex”

“There you have it wrong”. He responded. “I didn’t have a clue who my rival was for her affections. If I was to have killed her, and this is purely theory, I wouldn’t have needed to set anyone up. It was obvious she was killed because someone found out she was Guild right? Luckily you found not only that man, you told me yourself in your chief's office. Lucky for me he also just happened to turn out to be the rat that was stickin’ it to her and that could have turned her away from the mission. He couldn’t take the betrayal and killed her for it. Ain’t that right Curly?”

“Sounds right to me boss.” The big lunk replied before a bellowing laugh escaped from him, his brutish hands moving to keep his belly still.

“Well, perhaps this drink wasn’t such a good idea?” Larry, who had been keeping himself quiet in the corner of the room, peeped up.

I was seething, but knew I wouldn’t stand a chance against the three of them. They also out-ranked me and according to everyone who normally gave a damn this case was closed.

[“Nonsense” said Moe “a toast is definitely in order” and with that he raised a shot of what I now knew to be a very rare Soulstone Gin to his lips. “At least you got your horse back, she was a pain getting back to the station. Glad I did it though, I wouldn’t have found such an excellent vintage of gin. It is a good job we had a few bottles of it left in evidence lock up”.

“You three stooges haven’t seen the last of me you know?”

“Oh I don’t doubt it”

I went to leave, Moe’s final words ringing in my ears

“Excellent work lieutenant, you got the killer bang to rights”

I made my way back onto the streets, the rain once again making the cobblestones look like the scales of a giant reptile. I turned my collar up to protect against the drops of water that seemed to spit at my face.

It was time to get Graeme and get a beer.

------------------------------------------------------------

Done, thanks for reading.

I don't know what you were worried about, that was a perfect ending! The twist was well thought out and the execution of it done very well.

I look forward to reading more of your work, and definitely would like to see more of this character!

I feel sorry for Wilkinson. If Black wasn't so tied up at the moment, i may have asked him to stage a jail break...after all he has contacts on the inside!

;)

I don't know what you were worried about, that was a perfect ending! The twist was well thought out and the execution of it done very well.

I look forward to reading more of your work, and definitely would like to see more of this character!

I feel sorry for Wilkinson. If Black wasn't so tied up at the moment, i may have asked him to stage a jail break...after all he has contacts on the inside!

;)

It was the ending that had always been in mind, I just wasn't sure I had left enough little clues and that along the way. Pleased to hear you thougth it was balanced ok.

Not sure whether our guild leiutenant will be back or not, might possibly try and make a seperate story for Graeme.

Anyway, I enjoyed writing it, but - and i'm sure you will know better than most - it fairly takes over when you start getting into the writing.

Indeed, the ending fits the Malifaux world very well and reaffirms the principle of 'there are no good guys'

I liked the pacing of the narrative and your ability to tell enough details to lend credibility to the story, but not get bogged down in the science of investigation like modern programmes do.

I would very much like to see more of these two in future stories.