Collodi musings

ChefsDad

Don't be put off by the doll crew. I agree with basically everything ukrocky said. My first game with Collodi I hated it because I had no idea how he should work. After my second game I have been thoroughly impressed by his speed and power.

In essence Collodi's power comes from having incredible speed and enough actions in a single activation (group of activations really) to put down any model in the game. They gang-bang a single model until that model is not there. That is in short how the doll crew operates now. The means to avoid this...? well it is hard to avoid right away.

My advice is this:

1. Don't spread out. No model is too tough for the dolls to take down in one turn. I've used my entire deck in melee attacks in a single turn before.

2. Aim all of your attacks at the marionettes. They are the key to Collodi's movement. Once he is slow he stops being effective.

3. Anything with blasts or pulses is gold. You ignore that high defense of marionettes as well as ignoring hard to wound. It doesn't take much to kill a doll.

4. At the moment Collodi's escape route, usually an extra marionette hanging in the back, is the marionette's Pull Strings ability. Pull Strings is a move, not a push. So Collodi is forced to disengage. If one of your models is getting clobbered by dolls and you see one sweet little marionette cackling in the distance, keep a high card to cheat against collodi's disengage move.

lastly for those who want to try collodi. I have recently been playing with Zoraida as the master. This is a good matchup with the dolls. I haven't been summoning wicked dolls, instead I keep obeying difficult models away from their group of friends. Then let the dolls sick'em. Also she is a puppet master so your wicked dolls can escape to her if need be. She also has the best ability to pair with the doll party, her first spell is easy to cast and stops your target from cheating his defense flips. This is the only time my dolls ever really got severe damage on an opponent. Wait til they draw very low and then cheat very high.

I think Collodi has a powerful crew and can see where people get frustrated by it. But it has it's weaknesses.

Stitched together + Collodi = filth.

Stitched gaining fast and casting expert off Collodi (At least 2 of them). (0) Gambler, 3 x Gamble your life at WP8 (Due to collodi), and one casting of the damage spell.

So 2 or 3 of them doing that, if you then kill them, they gain reactivate with similar amount of damage output and activations.

Just worth saying that action modifiers won't apply during the re-activate if they applied during the first activation. Ok its not much help, but does at least slightly reduce the damage.

Phil

The Marionettes have an ability that allows Collodi to push into base to base after they walk. Because of this, is there any reason why your first action every game with him wouldn't be Filled with Stones?

Filled with Stones gives a target friendly Doll -1/-1 Wk/Cg. It would be better to use Puppet Show and give the Dolls Fast and use Pull Strings 3 times.

I surprisingly do not use filled with stones often. It is a very good spell but at a cost of 2 AP its hard to find a time for it. If anytime the first turn is probably your best chance. Though i have not found collodi needs filled with stones at all. He is generally safe from death both by tossing damage onto his marionettes, healing flips from wicked dolls, and the occasional SS usage.

When you use Filled with Stones on a Stitched together, that is fun. It's almost like a third life for them. About to die, they don't. Opponent needs to spend another action to activate Does Not Die. Then they get to Reactivate. Its pretty cool on them.

When you use Filled with Stones on a Stitched together, that is fun. It's almost like a third life for them. About to die, they don't. Opponent needs to spend another action to activate Does Not Die. Then they get to Reactivate. Its pretty cool on them.

That was my first thought when I was looking at him. Two insanely difficult to kill models pumping out serious WP duels. Just seems a bit dirty, if only a one trick pony.

I ended up buying Zoraida as well as Pandora, so my options are open. My wallet does not like how addictive this game is.

That was my first thought when I was looking at him. Two insanely difficult to kill models pumping out serious WP duels. Just seems a bit dirty, if only a one trick pony.

I ended up buying Zoraida as well as Pandora, so my options are open. My wallet does not like how addictive this game is.

Good decisions. You will be well served by both those masters. Yup this game can be rather tough on your wallet ;)

Good decisions. You will be well served by both those masters. Yup this game can be rather tough on your wallet ;)

I used to play a lot of warhammer, which has gotten crazy expensive.

The problem with this game is that its cheaper, so i buy twice as much! :-P