Malifaux red light district brainstorming

(TV)

Hey all. Our Michaels was having a huge, like 70% off clear out of all their mosaic tiles so I grabbed a ton in hope of making a good solid map out of it.

The tiles are square and about 15 equate to a foot in length. I tried not to have too crazy colours.

I have not done this almost "dollhouse" style terrain before so I'm hoping to get some inspiration here. I'm trying to plan it all out now but I've never really done civilian buildings before so I'm having a hard time planning and envisioning.

The idea for a red light district would be kind of a worn exterior, normal cobblestone and such, and then on the insides use the mosaic tiles to kind of give and almost gaudy interior, kind of a cheap veneer look.

If I made a 3x3 or 4x4 table, this would kind of be a big, centerpiece project. I'm really hoping I can, with all of your help, find the balance between the civvie rooms and buildings, and good balance as far as LOS is concerned.

Thoughts? (pleeaaase XD)

Thanks you in advance for any and all help/comments/posts. I'll turn this into a blog if it gets going.

Regards,

TV

Edited by (TV)

I did some brainstorming. Here is a rough mock up McMourning's Morgue:

mrgue.jpg

I think this program will be great for more planning... I guess my biggest concern is still how to make the whole thing "fair" LOS and movement wise... Could really use a heuristic or 2 for that...

Regards,

TV

I did some brainstorming. Here is a rough mock up McMourning's Morgue:

I think this program will be great for more planning... I guess my biggest concern is still how to make the whole thing "fair" LOS and movement wise... Could really use a heuristic or 2 for that...

Regards,

TV

Simply remove the idea of tiled movement and allow players to move as if moving through terrain.

rules should be as for an outdoor setting, the only thing is it is now indoors.

As far as fair goes, it's fairly simple to do, just make sure that there is no deployment zones issues. as for the center, cover goes both ways in interior terrain, if you have a room just make sure that there are two doors to it, one on either side so it doesn't take two turns to get down the hall to enter. other than that, yeah, just avoid deployment issues and you're good.

i for one would have a staircase up and some stairs going down in each deployment, and have the 12" deployment designed as a corridor for either with rooms on the edge of that 12". though keeping in mind that there is more than one deployment in malifaux, make sure there are corridors everywhere.

interior terrain is easy enough. making people like it is the difficult part, it only takes one game where you get corners and can't deploy as far as an opponent due to limited space in a room and you're lookin at people screaming "BULLSHIT THAT ISN'T FAIR!"

Simply remove the idea of tiled movement and allow players to move as if moving through terrain.

rules should be as for an outdoor setting, the only thing is it is now indoors.

Could you perhaps clarify?

Yeah, I have lots of the tiles now. I wonder what color schemes would work...

I'm thinking of doing a mostly tiled hospital/morgue of horror and then a part wooden part tiled "collette club" map. After all of this I also have to decide if it will be modular! I am hoping to be able to break down every map into 9 foot square tiles , modular or no, for portability.

Anyone else? I love where we've gotten so far XD

Regards,

TV