How do you choose you master / crew for a game?

Korrova

Let me preface by saying that I've been playing Neverborn since Malifaux took off at our store, and I primarily use Pandora and The Dreamer. I've just recently picked up the remainder of the Neverborn line and out local Henchmen have been running some tournaments.

My question to the Neverborn community is this:

What master / crews do you tend choose when you know the strategy and opponent's faction? Do you have crews that you feel are better versus certain factions, or do you make your choices based on the Strategies. Another option might be to stick with one or two different masters that you know well and just "make them work" regardless of the strategy and/or opponent.

Let me preface by saying that I've been playing Neverborn since Malifaux took off at our store, and I primarily use Pandora and The Dreamer. I've just recently picked up the remainder of the Neverborn line and out local Henchmen have been running some tournaments.

My question to the Neverborn community is this:

What master / crews do you tend choose when you know the strategy and opponent's faction? Do you have crews that you feel are better versus certain factions, or do you make your choices based on the Strategies. Another option might be to stick with one or two different masters that you know well and just "make them work" regardless of the strategy and/or opponent.

In all complete honesty, I just pick whatever seems amusing to me at that moment. Sure I have my tuned and practiced list like everyone else, but I find all our masters can handle just about every other Master out there and really don't have to worry that much about specializing for Strategies and Schemes.

The one thing I usually always pay attention to is if the Strategy is going to need lots of non-sig models to win. I stinks going into any of the take and hold ones with half your models being Insig XD Otherwise it doesn't matter that much to me *shrugs*

So I suppose I stick with the Master I know well and make them work... it just happens to be all the Neverborn Masters XD But truthfully you can make any of them work for any strategy.

If I feel like I need to be more offensive I take Lilith because she is who I am comfortable with for that role.

If I feel like I need to be more defensive than I take Zoraida.

I take Pandora when I want a change of pace from the other 2. I am not nearly as good with her because I have used her so much less than the others.

If it is a "friendly" game then I usually take Zoraida or Pandora, if it not a friendly game than I take Lilith. I have the most practice with her and I do the best with her.

You can't go wrong with The Dreamer. Reclaiming Malifaux? Drop the kids off and pick em up once they've reclaimed. Slaughter? Drop em off and pick em up when they kill something/sent everything running with their Terrifying 13 thanks to Night Terrors. He's pretty good in just about every Strategy/Scheme, you'll just have to adjust which minions you bring.

I'm with Karn987 - I just use whatever I fancy at the time, and just make it work with the strategy/opponent I'm playing. :D The same goes for every faction/Master I've tried, although if I'm playing a newer player I try to use less effective builds, and/or a Master my opponent might have fun against.

- I chose my master/crew purely on aesthetics. I wanted to get into Malifaux and before reading anything, I just grabbed what I liked. I picked up Pandora and Teddy. I liked the baby and cute fluffies theme. Then I asked on here for advice and added the stitched togethers and doppleganger.

- Overall, I like to play what I like. If I don't like the pieces, I won't play them. I feel your master/crew represents you. They may look great on paper but if you don't like it, you may not do as well with them.

- Basically, pick the box that you like (appealing) then ask for advice as to what to add to it. Play what you LIKE to play and the games will be great no matter the opponent.

Barby

Edited by Barby007
Spelling errors

I play what I fee like at the times changing up minions and masters, as see fit. In tourney setting I played same minions and changed masters to match my opponents faction. Guild - Zoradia, neverborn/ressers I used Pandora. Also I just planned playing Pandora first game, Zoradia second and Pandora third game, that is what it all work out to and I won.

I just don't like Pandora against guild, I find myself at major risk of losing, but with Zoradia I feel I have better chance. Also my Hooded rider is almost an auto include against Guild, can't target with ranged attacks Guilds worse nightmare.