Jobe

FoeRender

I am going to write these in short bursts as I break from painting or get bored at work . I am no writer but always get bugged to DM Rpg games often. So I am going to try and come up with a decent story about a young man named Jobe and his first trip to malifaux .

draft in progress please feel free to leave comments and thoughts .

Jobe looked threw crystal brown eyes out at the station platform watching the passengers get off the train too greet loved ones or rushing to meet one deadline or another . Jobe was rethinking the reasoning behind his trip to malifaux , because really he had none , thought this up on a whim , well that's not entirely true . See Jobe worked a shop on the trains platform stateside owned buy his parents , they sold all types of last minute things you might need for your trip at inflated prices . This is where he met her for the first time .

She walked in late towards the end of Jobes shift , he was looking under the counter for the keys to lock up for the night and heard the bells that hung over the door to alert the shop keep of patrons entering the shop . He looked up from behind the counter to greet the customer with a wide smile and go about an interaction he made thirty to forty times today already , but was stopped mid smile and stumbled over his greeting . " H-hello what can I find for you " She stood there with a half smile looking around the shop threw shifty eyes , she was tall for a women about shoulder length to Jobe with long black hair streaked with white highlights surrounding a soft cherubic face with the brightest green eyes Jobe has ever seen . Contrasted with her soft features where her 4 revolvers hanging from her hips , slender pistols with ivory handles with what looked like the head of a ram burnt into them . They hung top to top a pair on each hip , looking like she can draw two pistols from any stance , what contrasted her soft beautiful features the most though was the scar that ran from her eye down to her chin down the left side of her nose . She was slender wearing a shirt cut at the sleeves which hugged her body showing the lines of her toned abs tucked into stoned washed black jeans . black leather boots going to about knee level hugged her long slender legs . Leather bands lined her wrists almost to her elbows .

Jobe gathering himself asks " what can I get you for " " you said that already " she widened her smile and went over to the clothing side of the shop . " looking for a gift or something for yourself " Jobe asked but was ignored as she walked over to the dusters . "ahhh dusters we have some lovely ladies sizes over here " as he said it he regretted it , laughing she casts a side ways glance and continues sifting threw the rack .

Satisfied with what she found she headed towards the counter where Jobe was waiting . Jobe couldn't put a finger on it since the women walked in the door . He couldn't take his eyes off of her , it was her beauty , her overwhelming confidence along with her playful glances and smile . He was infatuated with her the second she walked in the door . " so you headed to Malifaux , never been there myself " Jobe shifted uncomfortably " Um Frankly I never really been anywhere " at that she asked how much for the navy duster . " I want you to have it " a million thoughts where racing threw his head all of which was asking him what the hell he was doing . Taken back by his both abrupt and awkward form of flirting she flashed another of her playful smiles " Mister you have something , I cant put my finger on it just yet " her first full sentence of there encounter . With that she places a gold piece on the counter and a small black pouch . " The gold should cover the duster and that's for you " referring to the small sack placed before him . " that will take you to where you want to be " before he can acknowledge and process what she said and look up from the pouch he heard the bells of the door , she was gone .

Jobe pulled the small pouch from his breast pocket and poured the contents into his hand , 5 small stones , all with a milky white glow . Stuffing the stones back in there pouch Jobe stepped down from the train setting foot for the first time in a place that wasn't called home , a place called Malifaux .

Edited by FoeRender

Jobe scanned the platform , his first time threw the breach , looking for his contact his father had set up for him . When Jobe first told his parents about his "adventure " his mother laughed it off like she always did , a mocking laugh that really said , your a crazy fool . His mother would do that whenever Jobe came to her with ideas she didn't agree with . Jobe's father on the other hand surprised both Jobe and his mother . His father looking at Jobe saw a bit of his former self a young man looking for more , something undiscovered . That feeling had long been lost , his parents forcing him into marriage . He is happy with his life and proud of his son and even overtime grown to love the women he was pushed into marrying . " If this is what he wants iam behind him " Jobes father stood up putting the paper he was reading on the ornate oak table which was placed beside his large backed lounger and was also home to a beautiful brass lamp which gave off the light for his late night reading sessions . After some back and forth between his annoyed mother and father his father having the final say Jobe retired for bed .

While packing Jobe's father slipped into his bedroom " hows it going chief " chief was what he called Jobe ever since he could remember . " so you know why I call you chief " , Jobe put down the trousers he was folding really wishing he could have escaped with out an emotional talk , they are very close . Jobe and his father spend a lot of time together always making sure they take there monthly hunting trip , and spend a lot of there day debating about well mostly everything . Jobe knows him leaving is going to be hardest on him . Jobes father reached out placing his hand on his shoulder " I call you chief because when you where a young boy around 4 or so , you acted like that's what you where , even your friends fallowed your lead , a born leader . " Jobe heard this story a million times , but this time it was spoken threw moist eye's , so he listened staring back at his father with a look that spoke , letting him know he loves him and this is hard for him as well . Jobe made his way down to the main floor gave his mother a heart felt embrace and headed towards the horse waiting for him outside .

While strapping the last of his belongings to the bag mounts on his broad chested black Clydesdale , his father approached . " I set some things up on the other side for you , I know you want to do things on your own but Malifaux is nothing like here , The stories you hear which sound blown out of proportion are not , there true . If you want my blessing you will except the help from the guide I set up for you this is not negotiable ! " with that he handed Jobe a sack of coins and walked back up the cobblestone pathway turning one last time and nodded his goodbye .

Jobe spotted him , his father had described him to a tee , a skinny man long and lanky with long dusty brown hair tied into a long braided tail . He wore a long black duster , a red silk shirt shinning from behind the dirty duster . A bowler tucked under one arm , a long rapier hung with a jewel encrusted hilt at his hip . Slung on his back was a stubby nosed multi-barreled rifle . He was leaning on a lamp post smoking a long stemmed pipe with one foot propped up on the post showing off his dusty cowboy styled boots , made from a skin Jobe didn't recognize . Jobe walked over to introduce himself ....

Hey thanks guys ! I should have more out this weekend , its hard during the week since I am a pretty slow typist . my mind goes faster than i can type when I am doing the story lol .

But yes more is coming . I have 2 paths I am thinking of having him take just debating which one i truly want him to take.

• 3 months later...

Its been 3 years since his first time threw the breach . Jobe has become accustomed to malifaux pretty fast , Carlfence was shocked how fast he picked it up . Carlfence since that day guiding him downtown , has grown quite fond of him as a matter of fact took him under his wing and showed him the ropes . It also helps that since the boy became a Sergent of the city guild guard they have been making a killing running shake downs at night when Jobes shift would end . Carlfence would spend the day scouting out wanna be crooks , young necromancers wanting to make a mark . That's right Jobe has grown up to be pretty tough , crazy sharp with his rifle , taking first place in most rifleman tournaments ran by the guard , well the ones Nino ortega didn't attend anyway . What made the shake downs go down smoothly was the fact Jobe has been chosen to be part of a special team that answers too Lucius .

( about to fall asleep will edit in more tomorrow )

Edited by FoeRender

• 2 weeks later...

With Jobe leading these " secrete missions " for Lucius , the crew that fallowed and respected him where tough special trained guardsmen , going threw a special training run by captains that answer directly to Lucius . The special crew consisted of three . Jon " the rat " gooseman . Jon grew up on the streets of Malifaux , the youngest of the crew but his age of 17 is lost when looking into his eyes , Jon grew up fast having to take care of his young sisters , there mom was found murdered in the mines of malifaux , union worker's had all denied any fowl play and her murder was eventually pushed under the rug , with no evidence being found . Jon took to the streets refusing to work union labor , there wasn't many jobs to take up . Being an athletic young man with a natural ability for climbing , Jon takes up breaking and entry stealing from union officials . Well the union should pay for his mothers death that happened on there property leaving her kids parent-less and hungry.

Jon managed to make a good living from his new found talents , being dubbed the Rat do to the mask Jon wore during his break ins a burlap sack with eye holes cut out and a crudely drawn nose and whiskers drawn onto it . He was also very crafty with his escapes being able to jump , climb and swing threw most terrain , was impossible to catch . Jon carried no weapons and chose to flea than fight . That is til he was captured and cornered by the guild guard . In his cell a tall man wearing a gold mask , ornate silk shirt , with a tailed crimson coat fitted with the perfection of the best tailor's needles , introducing himself as Lucius . When the man spoke Jon felt small and non significant in the presence of Lucius . Lucius dropped two very expensive looking daggers at his feet , the blades where black , light refused to to reflect from there surface , the handles where in the shape of several snakes intertwined with one another there mouths open as if the blade was coming from deep with in there throat , on the back end of each blade was a decently sized soul stone . The holsters for which they would fit into where fine black leather and looked to be stitched with the same fine quality as the cloths Lucius was wearing . " Pick those up and fallow me , I can teach you too use them , revenge your mother , not have to sneak around windows for some coin , be able to care for your sisters and become someone of respect . Or take those daggers sell them for a nice amount of coin and go on living the way you are now , and eventually get caught by Arcanist agents leaving your sisters with no one . I have to say i am amused by the work your doing . "

The choice was an easy one for Jon , he picked up his daggers looked at the path that lead out shook his head and fallowed Lucius .

More to come . I am kinda enjoying putting these out in short bursts it feels like I can type more this way more frequently .

Edited by FoeRender

Perry " Diamond " Prescott , was spotted out and quickly moved from the ranks of the guild guard to the advanced black guard . Diamond was a nick name given to her by friends and family from her childhood . Her eyes being a bright silvery almost metallic color . Not only are her eyes fascinating and stunning too look at but since she was younger she started to notice things , things the average person didn't . She picks up on the smallest detail , she can actually see the smallest twitch in muscle , the flow of blood threw veins , a tiny change in the pupil . Growing up the only girl in a family of 8 , her father moving them to Malifaux being a miner by trade . Her 5 brothers all joined the local guild guard and she fallowed suit . In her training her unique skills started to become evident . Diamonds martial ability was off the charts , able to anticipate her opponents moves and react two or three moves ahead . The guilds weapon masters all came together to train there new prodigy , the combination of weapons she has been trained in make her deadly at almost any range . Her preferred weapons are the standard issue guard pistol , do to its reliability and ease of maintenance . But if things get close she prefers her dueling dagger and Truncheon .

Diamond although a fierce fighter she looks out of place on the streets of Malifaux . Her beauty is almost surreal her body toned to martial precision , long silky straight auburn hair , and those diamond like eyes sitting in a soft featured face . Collet has made several attempts at having her come join the star theater , giving her the promise of fame , fortune and whatever she desires .

• 8 months later...

The last of the three Joren , not much is known about Joren . He has no last name , awakened in his bed one day with no memory , he knew what he was capable of and didn't need to relearn basic skills . Joren just had no memory of who he was or where he came from as a person . His house is paid for in full and had a pretty penny in a safe in the closet of his house , he for some reason knew the code . Its the hardest to tell you about Joren since no one knew him and was said to be very to himself . So as I tell you the tale of Jobe and his journey threw the breach Joren will fall into his own .

But what can be told was the event that landed him his spot on the " secret unit " lead by Jobe . Joren was in the market place on a busy afternoon picking up food for the week . A woman clad in dirty black cloths stood in the center of the square crying , sobbing to where she can barley take in air . As a crowd formed around her Joren quite curious amongst them with his towering frame of '6-8" lean and bald was able to clearly see . The women stopped sobbing in an instant her mouth grew wide , wider than what seamed possible , stretching the sound of her jaw snapping made the crowd cringe most turning away in horror her arm fell limp at her side . A form of a shadow began to rise from deep within her throat long shadowy fingers pushing down on the woman's broken and stretched face revealing a full body of shadow long and lanky with a blank face pushing down and stepping out of the limp woman's body as if stepping out of a dress . Standing tall about as tall as two full sized men lashed out with long shadowy fingers tearing flesh from the shocked by standers in the crowded market , people started to panic run away in fear chaos ensued as the shadow form with blinding speed ran amongst the mob of panic ridden shoppers tearing and slashing killing whoever it came into contact with the local guild guard showing up and equally getting torn to shreds as well . A handful of death marshals appeared on the scene and where able to contain it still the beast lashed out and the marshals where being taken down in horrible ways death bringers rained in well placed shots sending the shadowy beast sprawling but every time it was knocked over it would regain its footing and leap on the closest marshal ripping him or her apart . Coffins crashed in opening trying to suck the beast into its prison but had no effect on the shadowy form . Joren stood in the center of the square a burning feeling being built up under his skin , he wasn't scared by the feeling , it was familiar to him . Joren closed his eyes chanting under his breath ,than in one small explosion of unseen force which sent papers , corpses and whatever else wasn't nailed down in a 3 foot radius flying away from Joren . His eyes opened glowing with a blazing white light a hammer of the same light appearing in his hand . Joren leaped high into the air death marshals , guardsmen and the few citizens dumb enough to stay there or to hurt to move where stunned in place . The shadowy form standing over a guardsmen he freshly killed looked up for the final time of its short daemonic reign just in time to see the frantic bald fury on the face of Joren as his hammer smashed down upon him . landing with the force of a comet the very cobble stone in a 6' circle was cracked broken or uprooted .

Than all went silent Joren standing there the shadowy beast smashed into nothing was puzzled as a coffin crashed down next to him pulling him in trapping him inside . That was the day he met Lucius for the first time with the promise of answers coming from what seemed to be unlimited resources at Lucius's fingertips Joren agreed to go into " training " .