NOVA Open 2011 - August - DC Metro

nix

TheNOVAopen_flatwithtext1.jpg

The NOVA Open has a full slate of Malifaux events this year, and we are very excited as the prime registration dates are now open! I have this posted in an earlier thread, but that was hard to find after the changes to the community events forums happened. I wanted to make sure to get this back up and prominent.

Named for the Northern Virginia area where it is held, the NOVA Open is a 4 day wargaming convention running from August 25 – August 28, 2011 in the Washington DC metro area. Numerous Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Fantasy, Malifaux and Warmachine events fill the weekend, along with casual gaming, painting competitions, and a host of evening events tailored for all levels from the social to hardcore wargamer!

Information on rules, and the event, can be found on the website, and on the convention’s development blog, http://whiskey40k.com. Additional information is also housed and discussed on our forums at http://nova.tlsconline.com

This is the Malifaux Forum, so what are the Malifaux plans for the weekend? Currently we have a Malifaux Weekend pass ($30) available that gives access to all Malifaux events over the weekend. Here is the current schedule of events:

• "Through the Breach" - 30ss Malifaux tournament

• "Bad Things Happen" - Daily Achievement League
    • Achievement based prizes for playing Malifaux games
    • Friday round & Saturday Round
    • Players Pack coming

• "Bayou Five Card" - Malifaux fixed/unique crew Mega Battle

• "Malifaux Midnight Madness" - Single Elimination Midnight tournament
    • 35 soulstone, fixed faction
    • Saturday/Sunday, Midnight - single elimination
    • 16 Slots (Expanded to 4 rounds!)
    • Players Pack Here

We will also have demo's running throughout the weekend.

For those who plan on coming, I strongly recommend staying at the Hyatt. The NOVA Open has secured some fantastic room rates for the weekend and there is a raffle currently running, based on how early you pre-register your room. Full details on the raffle are here, but at a high level:

• # of raffle entries is based on how early you register your room and then staying in the room through the weekend
  • Drawing will be on Sunday
  • 1 Grand Prize of ~$1000 value
  • 4 other prizes of ~$250 value

There are a number of "subtle rumors" flying around the convention planning as well, so if you are interested I strongly recommend keeping an eye on the NOVA Open forums and Whiskey & 40K blog. Two of those are as follows:

• Black Library author Gav Thorpe will be at the NOVA Open this year! Scheduled author events to be announced soon!

Feel free to PM or email me with any questions.

Edited by nix

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Added in the links for players packs in the first post. Also, I have confirmation for some of the prizes! Our event prizes include:

• LE Wyrd models being released at Gencon 2011
  • Copies of the new rule book, "Twisting Fates"
  • Some new box-sets that will be available starting at Gencon 2011

So, there is even more reason for those who cannot get to Gencon to come out and take part in the Malifaux events at the NOVA Open!

• 3 weeks later...
Just to make clear, it's $30 for the Malifaux pass + $35 for entry into the convention? Are individual day/event passes available?

There are no individual passes available this year, its something we are keeping an eye on and considering for next year.

As an additional update, the first of the NOVA Open Malifaux newsletters has been sent out. For those who did not receive an email, its because your not currently registered. We are a bit past half-way to capacity on our Malifaux tickets and looking for initial commitments on individual events from registered attendees. If you have not grabbed your tickets yet, get them soon! There are 5 weeks left before the NOVA Open!

Newsletter can be downloaded here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, Midnight Madness has filled up! I have begun a wait list and if we get to 16 committed players I will look at adding another round. Do to the nature of a single elimination event, until we get to a full 16 members I need to keep additional registrants for this event on a wait list. We need round numbers (2/4/8/16/32) to make single elim work.

Through the Breach still has slots open, but a third of the ticket holders have not committed for events on Friday yet. I expect these slots to fill up quickly as well.

As a note, there are a couple well known names from the Wyrd boards who will be attending and participating in events (along with open play). To name drop:

Hookers

Mentor

Guy in Suit

WRabbit

Zephir

Minion #1 :D

Dixon - The Pharaoh of Adepticon

The prize pool is looking fantastic, with incredible support from Wyrd (Thank you thank you!) and local stores (Huzzah Hobbies, etc). The Swag bags are nice, and the overall event is really looking positive.

If you have not registered yet, or you know someone in your club who has not, get moving!

I predict Midnight Madness will be an epic throwdown for the ages.

So nothing is set in stone, yet.....

But, rumors are starting to surface hinting that Nightmare Teddy will be going home with the winner of the Midnight Madness tournament.

I expect there will be a fair number of additional prizes as well. As was discussed in another forum post, I wonder if any Avatars will be showing up on the table during the event?

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE! UPDATE!! UPDATE!!!

So the final NOVA Open Malifaux Newsletter has been sent out and we are in the final countdown. In less than a week we will start seeing excited Malifaux players pick up their players packs at Registration and start playing a whole weekend of games!

Here is the latest newsletter. If your interested in playing, your out of time to wait! Buy your registration pass now!!!

pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously how did NOVA go? I couldn't afford the time this year and at $55 I couldn't afford to swing by and be casual. But I hope it went well!

Ahh, Naahz.... as the Brits would say, stop trying to be cheeky.

You asked for Pics... here they are: http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24277

And reports of the games.. 2 of which were reported live with updates! http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24164