Off Topic Playground

Oh, the usual. Boring. :P Oh well, lol. Working on IKRPG stuff again. NPCs tonight, which is where I think I should be starting in the future...I'm very character driven, after all. Plot is all well and good, but once I identify a need for a character, I think I need to move straight to developing them. Working on a Thamarite Necromancer...would be using the Ragman, but making him into a proper antagonist he'll end up a wee bit on the strong end, lol.

Write everything completely from scratch as if pre-written don't exist, lol.

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

As an example...this is the concept for the campaign as a whole:

The players are members of a Mercenary Charter with a poor reputation, the Black Omens. They serve as an independent squad under Captain Edith Herrity, commander of the Third Platoon. While an independent squad in most Charters is a sign of trust, in the Omens, particularly the Third Platoon, it's a sign of no one cares enough to make sure the group stays out of trouble. This contributes to the negative reputation the company has, in spite of an excellent battle record.

The players are broke, desperate and ill supplied. The Omens keep them floating above water, but their independent squad status means that they receive no additional help. The work they are given is either so meaningless it barely counts as a contract, or so suicidal no one is expected to seriously pull it off. One advantage of being an independent squad, however, is that the squad is allowed to look for work of their own, which is often necessary. Sovereign Contracts, as the Omens put them, are the way to earn a place in one of the line units, where the Omens earn their real money and the pay is better. A Contract of this sort requires only that the independent squad notify their commanding officer that they have received one, and let the CO know who the contract holder is. As such, individual squads within the Omens have reputations better than their parent company, such as Tamara's Lions, Pierce's Strikers, the Black Guard, and others. Line squads also have the right to Sovereign Contracts, allowing them to earn money on the side.

The goal of the players is to get a reputation enough that they either can join as a line squad, or start a mercenary charter of their own.

Fair enough. If I wasn't this far into the design phase (and didn't have quite so many players...) I'd be taking your advice for this week, lol. Besides, one problem I have with pre-writes is that I know my friends. Trying to get them to follow that kind of a script will make herding cats easy. I couldn't even get you guys to ask people questions to point you in the direction of a murderer. :-P

Actually, they're surprisingly easy in some ways...just means that I'm doing a lot more prep work on the setting and how things react instead of planning out the plot. Major parts are going to be prepped with some level of detail (combat encounters mainly), but otherwise I'm just going to be playing it by ear. Which is what I do with you guys on Saturdays, honestly...I've only once written a story where I needed you lot to do something in particular, and it was a pain. :-P Same thing happened with my short campaign of Star Wars...relying on the party picking up on a clue is just a bad plan, lol.