Off Topic Playground

Oh, I'm carrying along. Getting tired a lot lately, so going to bed earlier than usual.

Starting to like my progress on my sculpt though, and sketching today went better than I expected, so that's good.

What've you been up to aside from orchids and tanks?

Also, is there an Old Zealand? And does it have more or less sheep than the New one?

That's...not what I think of when I think about a Flames of War tank force, lol. Granted, that's what I think of when I think about real ones! Guess I'm too used to seeing Panzer IVs led by a Tiger with nothing else in tourney lists, lol.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Going to show off any of the sketches at some point, Mako? Curious how those are coming along. And trying very hard to be patient for those sculpts, lol!

Oh, so, Elle decided to link the Archangel story to the Praetorian story... it's actually an odd bit of genius, but totally unexpected!

I'll probably photo the sculpt this weekend, once it looks a bit less rough as heck.

The sketches, not til I've properly got my eye in and my style settled a bit more. A few weeks probably. Going to do the first page a few times til I get used to the method and remember how to do faces and hands...

Told you Elle would be able to link them! lol

Oh shoot, I could easily drop 200 pounds on arcworlde now. I want the baby and hatchling dragons, and there's the unithorn which I wanted from day one!

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

Huh, that's quite cool. I learned geography today!

Yeah, I had the last of the Archangel pilots suicide her plane into a Desolator... figure the Praetorians can pull a rescue mission for her! Just debating if I'm in the mood for a happy ending...actually, should probably ask if they want happy endings to the stories, lol.

Yay for sculpting! That'll be awesome to see. *grin*

Ah, that makes sense, Monkey. Probably a good plan to do it that way.

I think I have photos of most of the competitors, and of the winners from Wyrd. Annoyingly, I don't have one of Jessica's piece, but they'll be on the GenCon site some point I reckon.

I'll be including the Wyrd entries in my write up, and pointing out the awesome pieces that beat me. They deserved to beat me, I'd say.

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 AM ----------

Yeah, I read that Ed. You may need to read up on military comms a bit, some of it seemed a bit off. But the second squad made it much more interesting and believable as an engagement!

I don't think he'd mind either way, but I reckon a heroic rescue would be a good ending. Unless you plan to keep following that unit, in which case they can arrive late and you can explore the effects of that in later pieces.

I plan to follow scarab squad about a lot over a bunch of stories, lol.

Way to go Victoria! (high fives) That's some tight planning there.

Yeah, it's a first draft and all that. Plus you know my opinion on military fiction. :-P But I'll definitely have to look more into it.

I think I might have to do a heroic rescue just so that I can have Herald as one of my Archangels in my army, lol.

Some of them did vanish fast. I'll be looking to see when they go up soon too.

$30 on groceries? Wow, you could almost buy two whole carrots for that here in Toronto! lol. (It's not quite that bad - you'd get two carrots and a small potato for $30 *grin*)

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 AM ----------

I think I might have to do a heroic rescue just so that I can have Herald as one of my Archangels in my army, lol.

I now expect to see tiny tiny tags on the cockpit side that say 'Herald' :-P

I used to live in Alaska, so I know what its like to spend $2 on a single orange.

As for the groceries I just bought, it was out of necessity cheap. A lot of pasta for me! Its called the "oh my god I just got back from gen con and have NO money diet". I am afraid I overspent and had to sleep on the road when getting home instead of a motel even.

But toooootally worth it!

And yup Monkey, learned a few new tricks, and got to see some stunning paintwork. Always take something away, info for preference, and a big bag of swag for second choice :-P

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 AM ----------

Know the feeling Victoria - if I hadn't already paid for everything to get home, i'd have been hiking.

Still, lots of shiny toys and fun memories...

Also learned that Mr Shine stops snoring if you poke him hard in the forehead with two fingers. Doesn't wake up though, strangely.