Off Topic Playground

Well, normally it takes me a couple of weeks to paint one model, but this is a rare case of totally focussed effort!

Which I'll need to do again to get the snipers done in time for the contest at the end of jan lol. Or I could take longer, do them for salute in April, and do the DzC dio for GenCon maybe...

You paint so much more detailed than painters like me. It is understandable that you need such a long time to finish a model. For that your models look so much better when finished. Sometimes I wish I had the patience to slowly work on a model and make it perfect, but I am too impatient to do so.

Plus I am more for painting the models tabletop good than display good. I don't have a place to show them off so my models stay in a bag when I am not playing with them or working on them. Haha.

At the moment that's where mine live too! When I finally figure out where I'm living for a long period, I'm going to get a glass display case, rig it to be sealed off from dust, and put them in there.

But the painting OCD does slow stuff down somewhat, I admit *grin*

I don't want it really short, but I might do bits shorter than others to give it a more tangled uneven look. It'll be just about past the shoulders I think, that's long enough to be untended but short enough to not get in the way

Yeah. I wouldn't make it a 'manly' short but more a feminine short, i.e. slightly above shoulder length. Sorry, I should have specified more. xD

How untended are we talking about? Like 'not touched in years' or 'attack with a knife every once in a while'

Not touched in years (no hands to use a knife lol), but it is on a wild creature that fights and flies a lot so probably gets broken or pulled out if it gets really long. That's my guess anyway.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

Always the problem with hair, there's no definition of where short becomes long! Around the shoulders is probably the target but tufts and chunks will be shorter perhaps, might give it a slightly mauled look

The varying lengths is probably a good idea, but I think you'd more likely have it to the shoulder, and not really sticking up every which way. Anything like that would fight drag, and birds are big about preening their feathers and getting rid of anything that sticks out at weird angles. It would be in chunks of tangled hair, but the bigger thing of it would probably be that it would look oily, which is more of a painting thing.

The mauled look would work. If you for instance look at street cats or dogs, which fight against each other, often through bites or claws a lot of hair chunks are missing/gone. Maybe this particular pigeon lady fights with other pigeons and has messed up hair because of this? :)

Though, as a personal preference, I always find such feral and creepy monsters more mysterious and eery when they resemble and represent certain social standards, such as made up hair or heck even certain parts of clothing.

Everytime I think I've figured out how to get this program to run right, it proves me wrong. >.< Oi.

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

You are right I really shouldn't be really.... *grin*

Heh, no kidding. How was work?

She'll have the remains of clothing covering her a bit, but basically a simple dress that's tattered and torn.

I was debating having it collapsing from a hairstyle originally, but I'm liking the ideas we've got worked out here and adding a hairstyle into it might not work right.

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Hehe, what's tonight's score of machine v Ed so far?

Um, hair is something I just kind of invent as I go, I'll see if I can work out what I do when I do it this time!

I find it odd. The other day I was rummaging around my old old ooooooold models laying around. Models I painted about ten years ago. I remember my best model back then. I was so damned proud of it. I spent at least 20+ hours on it and I was really happy with how it turned out. Compared to my models today, however, I have to say it looks kind of dull. lol

I paint better looking models in a few hours today. I guess it proves that over time you do get better at what you do and quicker as well.

I am going to get some starters from that Bushido game to mess around with. I think I might even make the bases entirely myself rather than buying presculpted ones, as I have been thus far.

Woo, go Ed! You'll sneak a victory in yet!

I tended to repaint everything every five years, these days I don't but everything from before I became a display painter has been redone. It's good to be able to see how far you've come though!

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

How dare they, that's just poor form of them Monkey!