Off Topic Playground

I actually painted this past weekend- a couple of Reaper Bones. Not done yet but well on my way. Still not that great with inks- thinned black ink on dark grey paint is a great start to black with proper highlights.

I've been trying this thing where I wash over primer, and it's not really working the way I'd hoped. The idea was black ink over white primer would act as preliminary highlights for subsequent paint layers. I think instead I need to make a large batch of this stuff instead, subbing Raw Umber or Burnt Sienna when appropriate: http://www.kan.org/michael/mkp/paynes_grey.php

Other than tinting existing base colors, toning down drybrushed or otherwise overly aggressive highlights, and one of the easy metal with shading tricks (paint metal color, brush over thinned black ink, let dry) I have yet to do a lot well with inks.

As can be seen from my painting posts I'm only a step or two above beginner level. Once in a while something will turn out better than expected but I'm sure that's down to luck rather than skill.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Inks and washes depend a lot on the miniatures. They're very useful for a skaven army.

As luck would have it there's blue sky and sunshine here today. Typical when a) I'm ill so in no mood to be out mowing the grass and B) it gets dark too damn quickly now. It's never like this on a Saturday.

I think I'd smell a gremlin if there were one in the house.

*Sneaks in Steams bedroom and draws a mustache on him while he's sleeping*

waaaahaaaahaaaa.... :-!

Yeah, I managed about 9 hours or so. Good thing too, I was exhausted, and managed to put product in the wrong spot for where it was going next...(sigh) Oh well. On an upside, I've got the next scene of the novel started, and think I've figured out how to fix the plot hole!

Not a good day when all you do is wake up...never any fun. :/ Was work okay, at least?

Well, it's just in case I ever start selling stuff I've sculpted. The things that aren't Malifaux and Wyrd IP, obviously! Have felt a bit of a revival of the sculpting buzz with going back to some older projects that are purely from Sophie, no one else's IP involved.

Tho in many ways it was just a fun way to pass some time with a bit of artistic fiddling about

Yeah, it's fascinating to her, but she's really not quite sure what to do when things are actually defined. Also it's probably the biggest percentage of her nonsense I've managed to translate for ages, so that might be throwing her a bit *grin*

Well, bungle is done I think, and zippy has a basic arm shape that just needs refining