Which crews would have benefitted most from coming out in Book 2?

I have to say that I think Lady J would of benefited a lot from coming out in book 2. Not so much as a synergy issue but as in she might have a few tricks up her sleeve.

I've had lady J for a while but hadn't managed to get in a game with her. I've been playing Kirai a lot (which I totally love) and finally decided to use Lady J and her crew.. and man was I let down.

wow melee beatstick.. no real tricks or spells or much ultility, no delivery system, not very survivable besides having a bunch of wounds. it was just a very bland running. I had a very tough time getting into combat with Colette's crew, magicians duel'd to all hell and back, can't charge Coryphee's, Cassandra was whoopin Lady J's butt something fierce between Southern Charm or Blonde Act.

I just guess that I felt Lady J dated with her bland straight forward tactics against something new and flashy with a bunch of tricks and powerful actions

(Granted this was my first game with her since I've owned her but it was a very sour experience to me, not sure I really want to try her again)

Yeah, Lady J is something of a standout in the Master pool in that she's the most straightforward, and lacks any kind of personal damage mitigation. She feels unfinished, and as a side note, she's one of two Masters who didn't pass a test I created, where the Master alone is pitted against three Zombie Punks. C Hoffman is the other, but he had an excuse.

As a relative newcomer to the game I was rather happy to pick up Lady J and Sonnia as my first couple of masters. The main reason being I get to learn the rules of the game with a nice simple couple of masters, who have different specialities but I don't have to excessively worry about hwo I interact with the rest of my crew and think about various interactions and how best to utilise them.

Once I've got a decent grasp of the game then I know I'll like nothing more than to use one of the unusual complex crews that relies upon effects which transfer/stack between models and working to create that one situation where I suddenly stack a load of effects together my opponent never saw coming to pull off some cool move that wins me a game.

But for now, I'll take a massive beatstick and enjoy ramming it forward to see how my opponents react while I get my head round both the core mechanics and the different styles of each of the masters.

As a relative newcomer to the game I was rather happy to pick up Lady J and Sonnia as my first couple of masters. The main reason being I get to learn the rules of the game with a nice simple couple of masters, who have different specialities but I don't have to excessively worry about hwo I interact with the rest of my crew and think about various interactions and how best to utilise them.

Once I've got a decent grasp of the game then I know I'll like nothing more than to use one of the unusual complex crews that relies upon effects which transfer/stack between models and working to create that one situation where I suddenly stack a load of effects together my opponent never saw coming to pull off some cool move that wins me a game.

But for now, I'll take a massive beatstick and enjoy ramming it forward to see how my opponents react while I get my head round both the core mechanics and the different styles of each of the masters.

And that's why I feel she'd have been better off as a more complex master like the ones out of book 2. Lady J doesn't have much use except slammin forward and swinging. Anyone can guess what she will do turn to turn and its fairly easy to counter. Add in her meh defense and okish speed (her threat isn't much farther than most) and the only thing she has is a high chance of flipping severe damage and taking 12 wounds to drop.

Simplistic straightforward play doesn't work well in a game full of

complexity and options. (Once you learn the game)

Edit: not sayin she has to be super complex either but maybe spell to bump her defense as she tries to close, Or heck even charging for 1 ap to get her over a 10' threat range

Edited by winters_night

And Lady J was the only master unable to deal with three Punks..?

Really..?

There's alot of Masters that I would have given much lower odds for managing such a task..

Yeah, but before it sounds like I'm making something out of this, it doesn't prove anything. It was something I did for fun to see if Masters could survive on their own with no soulstones or minions. Lady J and C. Hoffman both lost 2 of their 3 matches, where the goal was to survive one round against them. Someone upthread mentioned Kirai, I beat the scenario by summoning the Ikiryo and tying up the punks with her. Lady J had basically two options, shoot or charge. If she charged, she always got two of the punks, and the third one Flurried her to death effortlessly. Again, it doesn't really prove anything other than I like to waste time with Malifaux themed things.