Looking to get into Malifaux...

Hansel

...and I have a few questions.

1. Is there a rulebook update due anytime soon? I don't want to buy the book just to have to buy a new one a few months from now.

2. Is this game doing well? It looks like my FLGS has two Malifaux nights a week, but again, I don't want to buy into this new game just to risk it petering out and Wyrd shutting down anytime soon.

3. If I do start, I'm wavering between Arcanists (with the ice-queen and her golems) & Outcasts (with the Samurai women). Any input on these?

I think that's all. I just started 40k a few months ago, and while I'm liking it, the cost in $ and time is a little off-putting (I have around 1500pts in Space Marines but I can't build a great list from that, and painting all that is incredibly time-consuming).

...and I have a few questions.

1. Is there a rulebook update due anytime soon? I don't want to buy the book just to have to buy a new one a few months from now.

2. Is this game doing well? It looks like my FLGS has two Malifaux nights a week, but again, I don't want to buy into this new game just to risk it petering out and Wyrd shutting down anytime soon.

3. If I do start, I'm wavering between Arcanists (with the ice-queen and her golems) & Outcasts (with the Samurai women). Any input on these?

I think that's all. I just started 40k a few months ago, and while I'm liking it, the cost in $ and time is a little off-putting (I have around 1500pts in Space Marines but I can't build a great list from that, and painting all that is incredibly time-consuming).

Welcome to the boards mate. Hope you enjoy your stay :D I'm a 40k convert and I know full well the annoyance of cost. My 2000pt Ork horde army easily cost me £4-500 to put together. Malifaux is a fraction in comparisson.

In answer to your questions:

1. There is the recent new mini rulebook that has all the up to date erreta and updates in, its the handy small side and is the most up to date. There is a free pdf being made available soon, but how soon only Eric knows...

2. The game is doing very well and is still early in the growth phase, the guys at wyrd have a lot of plans for wyrd so this is a great time to get into it, if your club has 2 nights then sounds like it is doing very well in your area.

3. Of the 2 crews you mentioned and this is personal opinion Rasputina is the better choice of starting crew due to her being a very new gamer friendly crew, its easy on the beginers as the rules are not massively complex next to other crews, easy to paint up and it has some good expansion options.

Hope this helps and welcome to the boards :D

Welcome to the boards and I agree 100% with Munkey.

Though i will add that although i haven't played as the Viks, they do seem quite a noobie friendly crew to start with. Just go with your gut, choose the crew you most like the look of.

Besides once you get hooked, you'll be craving more than one crew anyway!

I actually purchased the showgirls first, then Lady J and Lilith. Then Sonnia, Perdita then Lucius. Then The Freikorps, and soon it will be Hoffman......and Collodi looks good too.

See what I mean! ;)