Dreamer vs Criid

eturns

I've got a 30SS game against Sonia Criid tomorrow night and this is the list i am thinking of taking.

Neverborn Crew - 30 - Scrap

The Dreamer -- 6 Cache

2 Daydreams [4ss]

Alp [3ss]

Alp [3ss]

Coppelius [9ss]

Stitched Together [5ss]

Stitched Together [5ss]

The only other available models are Teddy, another daydream and an alp. The plan was for coppelius to get an eye counter and summon all 3 alps around the same time on a target, but I have never played against criid and am not really sure what to look out for. Would Teddy be a better choice than Coppelius?

Sonia's crew usually has lower wp so terrifying models can really hose them. Crid is pretty easy to kill for a master in melee.

Dont rely on casting many spells. Biggest thing to watch out for is Sam he is devastating when doing range strikes against any model with ca6. Otherwise his damage is huge. Sam is also tough in melee because of trigger. He needs to be taken out. Sonia can blast alps to oblivion.

Sonnia's things to watch are her flame burst with blast templates (nuking easily groups of models) and her flame wall: if you pop a group of models within 3" I think from her they all take 3Wd at the end of the turn and take 6Wd if she dies... As Mr. Bigglesworth said casting can become rather tough when close to her (so stitched might be hard to use) and yes she is rather lame in cc (as long as you don't stay near her at the end of the turn!) so it's good to get close. I would use an Alp as the dreamer bodyguard (tarnekappe is then very handy) until you come close enough and then try paralysing asap with old Coppelius, maybe even more than one model, and final strike with Teddy. Also beware of witchlings' explosion when they die (2Wd I think). I would field a crew more hand 2 hand fight theme something like:

. 3 daydreams (I think at 30ss 3 dreams is better for manoeuvering and threat)

. Coppelius

. Teddy

. 2 Alps

Total: 30ss cache 5ss (maybe drop an Alp if you wanted more ss cache?)

If your opponent is anything like mine (you know who you are!! :) ) you're likely to have a peacekeeper showing up too: perfect target for coppelius with its ubber low Df, particularly if it is sent alone ahead of the crew, however beware of the damage of that thing, it is powerful!

Hope this helps :)

T.

Ok I have never had good luck with Alps and Criid as my usual opponents are very much up to speed on how to deal with an Alp bomb and Criid does an extremely good job of clearing them. Personally I would say no to any Alps as you are just asking to get blown up. It may work for a moment or two... but otherwise you stand to lose them all rather quickly.

The advice about not relying on spells is an extremely good point. Criid's counterspell will take on any spells you try to lay on her or her crew. So what I would suggest is powerful melee models like Teddy's and Copelius. Stitched together are a great choice because their Gamble your Life is not a spell so she can't counter it and their durability makes them frustrating for her to fight against. Essentially with their Fog and their Does Not Die! they can tarpit her and her crew for a little while and let you get your objectives.

30ss is hard to build a solid Dreamer list for... but not impossible.

Like I said, I would drop the Alps and maybe take a 3rd Stitched if you want to go that route. Otherwise I would drop the Alps, Coppelius and 1 Stitched together for 2 Teddies and add the other 2 SS to your cache.

So:

Dreamer

Daydream x2 4ss

Teddy x2 18ss

Stitched Together 5ss

Total: 27ss with 8 Cache.

Alt: +1 Alp, Total 30ss, 5 Cache.

Now for this list you have fewer models but she generally has little that can match up to a Teddy in melee. Her stalkers certainly can't and really only the Executioner is going to be a problem and even then a Teddy can most likely kill him and survive his Slow to Die attack and get away. This also makes you much less Blast Vulnerable... but exponses a common weakness of low DF. So you will really have to work hard to stay out of LoS and range and drop your Nightmares at the right time. The Alternate with the 1 Alp has some merit to it. Sure they don't get a negative flip on the duel against the Alp's slow, but it can still present a problem for say Sonnia or Sam.

But as was said about, KILL SAM ASAP. He is devastating even to the bulk of Teddy and the Dreamer has a high enough Ca (7) to be very very vulnerable to the guy. You NEED to kill him. Most likely this will entitle sling shotting a Daydream up board to Unbury a Teddy in melee or charge range of him and at least tying him up. Though a Stitched Together is another good choice for simply tieing him up.

Now that list is assuming your Strategy and Schemes turn out to be something forcing you to kill your opponent. If you get lucky and don't flip something like that, then Madness are amazing objective cappers and you can send them screaming around the board to cap what you need. Teddy's again serve as the perfect front line for you with Stitched acting as a Tarpit. Coppelius is also very nice but is a bit more surgical, he wants to get 1 target alone and then slowly feed on them. Paralyzing them and then repeatedly stealing their eyes. This makes his a great choice for dealing with Sam if you are worried about him.

Really there are so many factors to this its hard to give specific advice.. but if you have to kill Criid.... try this now that I think about it more:

Dreamer

Daydream x2 4ss

Teddy 9ss

Coppelius 9ss

Stitched Together 5ss

Alp 3ss

Total: 30ss with 5 cache.

Coppelius will make mince meat of Sam if you get him up there. Just paralyze him and have your way with him, steal all his eyes and make some more friends. Send Teddy into the fray as you need him, but try to make sure you can get him back out again with a Daydream. You have to be very wary of anything that lets Criid and her crew shoot through things.. Criid can cast against a target without LOS if they have a 6+ ca if I recall. So be careful of this. Both Coppelius and the Dreamer have high enough CA's for this.

But if you need to deal more with objective capping.. try:

Dreamer

Daydream x2 4ss

Madness x2 8ss

Teddy 9ss

Coppelius 9ss

Total: 30ss Cache 5ss

Deploy the Madness first turn and have both use PE and then Bury them. They will have PE active the next time you unbury them so you can use them to aid Coppelius and Teddy's terrifying as well as their own. Their speed also makes them great objective capers. Unbury them about mid field and watch them run off to get whatever they need to. Their ranged attacks are not terribly powerful, but they are good for harassing your opponent. Plus Hysteria lets you keep a model running if you have some luck up your sleeve (or a high card).

So thats that, post back if you want more/clarrifications and let us know how it goes!

well for those interested we played 25SS, Criid's box set vs Dreamers + 2 daydreams. LCB literally chomped Hopkins in turn 2, Coppelius and the stictched took out 2 wytchling stalkers leaving just Criid and a stalker left at turn 4. Although chompy did die to Criid. At the end of turn 4 time ran out and opponent accepted he'd lost.

That is another point to Criid's weakness, really when it comes down to it Criid does not do well in a prolonged fight and falls pretty quickly to alpha strikes. She needs 8 ss cache to be effective if you can force your oppenent to pull from there cache frequently than her fireballs and firewalls become less frequent. Most of the time she will need to discard a soulstone to get the higher ca and book, she will not do so if she has a good hand full of books, however this means that she will have fewer control cards to utilize.

I personally think stitched are great to drop in companion and focus on spaming the WP duels, then when he dies you get a second round. Since Criid's screw is fairly slow this can really tar pit them and give you the opportunity to complete your objectives.

well for those interested we played 25SS, Criid's box set vs Dreamers + 2 daydreams. LCB literally chomped Hopkins in turn 2, Coppelius and the stictched took out 2 wytchling stalkers leaving just Criid and a stalker left at turn 4. Although chompy did die to Criid. At the end of turn 4 time ran out and opponent accepted he'd lost.

I sorta figured it was going to turn out something like this =) Glad to here you did well at least.

In all reality, you had a nice advantage against criid, Since her crew is geared toward fighting Arcanists they generally have to switch up there crew a bit to fight someone else. Good Job killing Sam on turn two as well, everyone always has to target my Sam as well or else he will eat every big baddy on the board. And just to let you all know, Sam eats Teddy's for breakfast most of the time. Mainly because he has the CB vs DF advantage and can pull out 10 damage with at least 2 attacks. I don't really fear teddies :)

Im more curious how your opponent handled fighting with criid, Because unless you terrained hopped Dreamer Sam should of at least lasted til turn 3 or 4 with you rushing him like that

The way sam died was as follows

Turn 1

(0) I can fly

(1) wk 7 inches

(1) Wk 7 inches

Turn 2

(0) I can fly

(1) wk 7 inches

(1) Wk 7 inches

(0) Nightmare Friend

(1) Six Inch Teeth - managed to get a straight flip here so cheated the damage to a red joker from control hand

(trigger) onslaught