Lady J versus Seamus - 40SS

Tograth

Last night myself and Mergoth played a game at 40SS.

we ended up playing in an industrial zone on a 4 by 4 table. terrain was set up with various 3" tall impassable walls forming loose oblongs, with avenues between them. ruined buildings interspersed these, with a burning building off to the right hand side.

There were also small, 1" tall terrain pieces scattered around that gave soft cover.

(for directions, All directions are from my point of view, i.e. facing out of my deployment zone)

Mergoth got reconnoiter, while I got destroy the evidence. Deployment was standard deployment (8" deep) and I won the flip for deployment.

crews:

My crew was as follows:

Lady J

the Judge

Death marshal x3

Executioner

Francisco

Nino

Mergoths crew was as follows:

Seamus

rotten Belle

Canine Remains x2

The Hanged x2

Onryo x2

grave spirit

for schemes, we both took holdout, while Mergoth took bodyguard on Seamus as well.

I deployed to the right of centre in my deployment zone, while the destroy the evidence counters were placed directly opposite in an equilateral triangle formation reaching from the edge of Mergoths deployment zone outwards.

Turn 1:

Turn 1 saw me moving all my stuff up, while mergoth linked his grave spirit to a hanged and moved both hanged and the rotten belle up to one of the small terrain features to get cover. He also moved the onryo up to a different piece of small terrain.

The canine remains then moved up next to the onryo. One of them was outside 1" of the terrain piece, so he didnt get cover.

Finally, Seamus moved up, shot the doggy that was out of cover, and killed it. He then used Arise my Sweet to get another belle, which he moved left towards the table centre.

Turn 2:

turn 2 saw nino move up, in my sights and then shoot one of the onryo. I had forgotten about Hunter, so this was at a minus flip. I hit, did weak damage and got trigger happy. Shot again, bringing the onryo down to 2 wounds. Nino took 2 wounds from the imediate revenge ability.

the rest of my crew moved up, some of them being lured by the belles. more shuffling by seamus and crew, leaving them slightly further forward, slightly better spread out, and still in cover. I used Restore Natural Order with Lady J, which killed the second doggy.

Turn 3:

Turn 3 saw Francisco being lured forward and killed from some Malevolence from the Onryo. He managed to put 2 wounds on the belle closest to that onryo. The Executioner got hit by a Whisper From Beyond from the Hanged, and a malevolence from the other onryo, bringing him down to 2 wounds.

Nino took some potshots at the belles, doing 4 wounds to 1 and 2 to the other.

I then charged the executioner at the belle closest to me, which was silly - I should have charged the Onryo on 2 wounds that was just past it. Ah well.

Anyway, I charge in, Hit big, flipped severe damage and popped Critical strike, and killed her. He healed back up to 5 wounds (since he was affected by Whisper from Beyond).

The last belle then Distracted the closest death marshal, getting it off and popping slow onto the Judge. The Death marshal resisted. Seamus then focused a shot at the executioner, which flipped moderate damage and killed him. With his Slow to die, I tried to kill off the belle, but failed to hit when the belle flipped the red joker for defense.

Seamus then brought the belle back with Arise and put it back by the hanged.

the rest of my stuff moved forward, with Lady J moving to prepare for a charge at the hanged next turn.

Turn 4:

At this point, I had killed a belle (which came back...) and put wounds on the other belles. I had lost francisco and the executioner.

I won initiative, so I used the Judge to Judged the hurt Onryo, killing it.

the Belles started to Distract my guys, managing to get slow on the Judge.

I sword styled for Onslaught, and charged the further away hanged with Lady J. This charge ended up with her in BTB with one of the objective markers and in Melee range of both Hanged and the slow belle.

She hits the Hanged, does severe damage and triggers Onslaught, and the second hit kills that hanged. She then used her Melee expert AP to hit the other hanged, which brought him down to 3 wounds.

The hanged activated next, and tried to hit Lady J. I cheat with the 13 masks, pop a soulstone and manage to get off the Riposte trigger, which kills the hanged.

The heavily wounded belle moved out of LOS to the centre of the table, while the Onryo Malevolenced the closest death marshal( bringing him down to 2 wounds) and the remaining belle double cast Distract on him. This time, the Judge and the 2 death marshals closest to him all got slowed.

The death marshal that didnt get slowed move round, going towards the other objective marker outside of the deployment zone.

Nino, finally remembering he was a hunter, cast in my sights at the onryo and shot it twice, managing to kill it.

Seamus then moved up and shot one of the unwounded death marshals, killing him.

Turn 5:

Start of turn 5 saw me with Lady J, the judge, nino and 2 death marshals left, while mergoth had the 2 wounded belles and Seamus.

I won activation, and Lady J kill the belle in her melee range with her Melee AP and onslaught, popped the objective marker and moved towards the objective marker in Mergoths deployment zone.

The belle that was closest to Seamus hightailed it directly away from him, towards the far left corner of the board.

Nino activated, moved, cast in my sights at the belle in the table centre on 4 wounds, and then got a critical shot off which killed her. She used her slow to die action to move her corpse to within 6" of Seamus.

Seamus then activated, moved into melee range of the judge and the death marshal, and popped trail of fear and face of death.

The judge activated, failed his terrifying resist, and ran like a baby. The death marshal closest to Seamus cast Finish the Job, and hit seamus, doing 4 wounds.

The last death marshal then walked over to near the objective out of Mergoths deployment zone.

Turn 6:

I won initiative, and moved the death marshal over to get rid of the evidence marker.

Mergoth then activated Seamus. Seamus killed off the death marshal with a bag of tools strike, shot (and killed Nino) and then tried to cast Arise my Sweet. However, since he had run out of SS, this failed to cast.

His other belle continued to run away.

I now had the Judge, one death marshal and Lady J still alive, so I moved Lady J over to sort out the last objective markers. At this point, she was in Mergoths deployment zone.

The Judge then moved forward and used Bullets and blades to do damage to seamus, but not enough to kill him.

Mergoth then flipped to see if the game ended, and it did.

Mergoth got 2 VPs from bodyguard, and another 2 from his strategy, while I had 4 from my strategy and another 2 from Holdout, meaning it was a 6-4 win for the guild.

This was the first time I had run any guild crew, and it was a major departure on Mergoths part from his usual Seamus list (belles, doggys, sybil, and Bette with the grave spirit), so we both had a lot of new things coming at us.

A couple of things that I learnt from the game:

Nino has hunter. dont forget this again!!

Lady J is sick in combat.

The executioner is very nice, so long as he doesnt get Whispered.

I really need to have a think about Francisco, and about how good he may or may not be for this crew.

All in all though, it was a fun game, and Mergoth was great to play against as always.

Why more doggies with Seamus?

Also, with all those terrifying models, and Malevolence/Whispers also being WP duels, might be worth popping Trail of Fear some more?

Doggies were for something I wanted to try out, which was have dog walk forward twice, activate Seamus and have him pop a cap in its ass (minimum damage will kill it), draw two cards, raise it into a Belle, then have Belle make a 1 action. Basically a cheeky way of getting half price Belles. It worked ok.

Trail of Fear was on every turn I wasn't raising (or failing to raise) a Belle.

• 2 weeks later...