Modification to a Convict Gunslinger.

Dark Alleycat

Ok...so I love what the Convict Gunslinger is capable of doing..But the model is horrid..especially for someone coming from playing 40k space marines,so painting flesh is really really hard for me.

So here i have this half naked fat,scarred man wanting a decent paint job and it drove me nuts...

So i decided,at about 2:30 am while watching Predator 2 and painting...that I was going to turn the Convict Gunslinger into a dreadlock havin,trenchcoat wearing voodoo gunman.

So where to begin? I decided that since I had a vague idea of how to greenstuff a Trenchcoat I would do that. Now,I wasn't going to do WIP pics due to not having a decent camera,but I have decided to change my mind on that...given the first stumbling block i got. Namely the arms..they are really beefy...and thus hard to make a thin trenchcoat sleeve to go over it.

I will do a WiP pic so far..But not quite at the moment.

Instead I will talk about what I did so far,and ask the assembled for advice on what to do next.

First step was easy,the back panels. It is remarkably similar to sewing a trenchcoat in fact. You do the below the waist flare. you make sure it is wider at the bottom then the top. you leave a crease at the waist. then you do the shoulder part with a crease down the center.

you repeat the process with the side panels,make sure to mess them up a tad to make it look liek an actual peice of clothing.

Edited by Dark Alleycat

Now,as i said before...the arms became a problem...i initially greenstuffed arms on and they ended up looking bulky and ugly. So with the two choices of leaving it bulky,or making it like a trench/duster with the arms cut or ripped off. I went with the ripped off arms,and...so far its looking pretty good i think.

So as I said..I was going to ask for advice from the creatives out there..How would you greenstuff Dreadlocks onto a model? How would you put a Top hat on top of said Dreadlocks?

And most importantly...is the whole idea of turning the convict gunslinger into a copy of one of the characters in Predator 2 a ridiculous idea?

The trick with making a leather jacket is not to try and build a jacket over the top of what you already have. You will just end up with a really swamped model. The trick is to use green stuff to deacentuate the musculature by partially filling in the gaps between the muscles. Then add the Lapels and cuffs.

Hats are the easy part. I used card and greenstuff to make a cowboy hat for my gunslinger. I then painted him tanned and re-named him Jesus Remirez (pron: Hay-zuz Rrrramirrrrez).

For a top hat I'd cut a ring of cornflake box the right width and with a hole to sit on his head then soak it in superglue to make it rigid. When dry file it smooth and sit it on his head and build the top part with the cylinder of green stuff. It might be easier to make the dreads first and sort of jimmy the rim of the hat over them while they're soft to get the right fit, it'll also make the dreads look softish and natural.

chloroform has so many uses! Not just dating.

............................................________

....................................,.-'"...................``~.,

.............................,.-"..................................."-.,

.........................,/...............................................":,

.....................,?......................................................,

.................../...........................................................,}

................./......................................................,:`^`..}

.............../...................................................,:"........./

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../

............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../

.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/

..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}

...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../

...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"

............/.`~,......`-...................................../

.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__

,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,

.....`=~-,__......`,.................................

...................`=~-,,.,...............................

................................`:,,...........................`..............__

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``

........................................_..........._,-%.......`

Ok ninja-ing my own thread back lol. So after all the modifications...I am still coming to the conclusion that I really don't like the Convict gunslinger model. Its a great model...it just...it doesn't appeal to me Aesthetically if that makes sense.

Now I had another idea,but wanted to see what the reactions might be. I envisioned the convict gunslinger as more like say...Doc holiday from Tombstone. now,clearly this would require a total different look from the normal one. The first impulse i had was to use the first model that got me hooked on Malifaux from its appearance,and that was Nicodem. Replace his leg,replace the vulture and riding glove with a six shooter,and it would be a good basis. Now...the question is...would it still look too much like a Master to be useable for most tournament games? I could understand if it would,given that im playing a Ressurectionist gang it could be problematic. The other option I considered was using someone from the Ortega's but..I don't know enough about the models to make a decent guess for what would be a good basis for the conversion.

So any comments,concerns,criticisms,advice or accusations are welcome.

Scorpion miniatures makes a Doc Holiday, they also have some good gunslinger models in their "tombstone" sets. Reaper also makes a Doc Holiday in the Chronos line. They style definately isn't malifaux but they are two fistin' smokewagon totin varmits.

Well,was more looking for things to use that I liked the look of and could still use at tournaments and such. Though I definitely like the reaper doc holiday,and I think i will indeed go with that for my gunslinger.

Many thanks. I can't understand the page but the pictures are very descriptive,and it does give me another option,one that I would honestly prefer given that I want my Seamus surrounded by all his bimbos.

Thx:-)

Soon i try to write in english !

MAC