Dystopian Wars

I have heard a lot of great things about this game but one of the things that I like about Malifaux is that it can be played in a small area, Dystopian Wars requires more room so have not really persude an intrest in it at the moment because we simply do not have a lot of room to play on

d6g did a lengthy review here: http://www.thed6generation.com/d6g-ep-70-dystopian-wars-detailed-review

I haven't played but that Blazing Sun keeps calling my name.

Just listened to the podcast. Fascinating listening to Neil who grew Sparten games from zero to hero. Hearing his thoughts on Dystopian Wars how and why he created it and where it is going reinforeces my belief this has a big future.

Well worth a listen.

I have decided to pass on this game. The local players that have jumped into this game have described problems with DW that are the same problems that soured me on US. Mostly it is a lack of fully developing and testing rules before publishing the game, then letting the mob greatly influence the changes that needs to happen.

So far we've had fun with it. About a half dozen locals picked up fleets and we're giving it a good college try. It's unlikely we'll dig so deep into the nuances of the system that we'll get too frustrated with oddball rules (although there's a Capital ships rule I don't like despite understanding why it's in there) and give up. We'd passed on US and FA since we weren't really looking for another fantasy ships game (we'd played Man o War extensively way back when) and for some reason sci-fi ship games don't grab my group very much.

But since these rules cover land and sea and air and (sort of) how to handle those crossing over we figured it was three games in one and gave it a shot.

Decided to give it a pass for right now. Spartan Games has caused our local play group a LOT of grief back in the day and especially when they were getting Uncharted Seas up and running. We STILL have those useless V1 rule books hanging around some where I think.

Going to check it out in a few months to a year maybe. It took them that long to make Uncharted Seas playable and even now it still has some rather large holes in the rules. Company has some good ideas but they have a huge "ooh shiney" complex.

I decided to give it a try -- love the steampunk atmosphere and background history. So far I have the rulebook and the FSA starter fleet. I figure it isn't too much of an investment if I find out later that the gilt has worn off. There are quite a few players at the LGS getting fleets together so hopefully we'll be able to playtest soon.

Malifaux and Wings of War are my mainstays -- and now with DW, I am not going to start any new games...start any new games...start any...

Cheers!