Trigger Questions

codeman123

K i have just gotten into malifaux and played a couple of games. I understand the concept of triggers but am confused on a couple of things... Sorry if this has already been adressed i did not see anything that specifically addresses my question..

1. Ok so grey suites in a trigger are suites that character already has?

2. How do two suites work in a trigger the only way i see this working is if i use soulstones but some characters have two suites required and cannot use soul stones so how would they activate that trigger otherwise?

Each of your stats has a value. Sometimes attached to that value is a suit, that suit is added to your duel total

eg a model may have Cb 5:crows on their melee attack.

That model might have Rot as a trigger Cb:crows:crows.

Lets say you hit a model and the card in the duel is the 10:crows.

Your total would be 5:crows + 10:crows = 15:crows:crows

This would mean you would have all the suits needed to get the trigger.

In almost all cases where you have 2 suits on a trigger one of them will be on the attached stat, so you only have to get the other one on the card.

In almost all cases where you have 2 suits on a trigger one of them will be on the attached stat, so you only have to get the other one on the card.

Just to expand on what the good rat has stated.

As you correctly state some models require two suits on a trigger and do not have the use soulstone ability. These are generally few and far between.

One example is the razorspine rattler which can gain one suit through a different ability/trigger which means it can then activate the trigger requiring two suits if it is subsequently flipped.

I have probably made that sound more complicated than it is.

• 2 years later...

I found this helpful thread. But I have another question were I need clarification for M2E.

Example of an Action Trigger on Lady Justice Greatsword ( Ml 7:rams /Rst: Df / Rg::melee2 ). The Trigger reads:

:rams
Critical Strike:
When damaging the target, this Attack deals +1 damage for each :rams in the final duel total.

Is it correct that +1 damage is automatically granted if Lady J. just hits the target? Nevertheless what suit is on the attack flip card? So if the flipped hitting card has also a :rams she gains an additional +1 damage. Then I want go further. If she spend Soulstones before the attack flip happens. e.g. 2 Soulstones for 2 more :rams. She could have a total of +4 damage before the damage flip.

She can only activate 1 trigger per attack.

Yes she can activate Critical strike on every attack if she wants and it will alwasy do at least +1 damage. It isn't automatic in that you have to announce you are choosing that trigger, but she can always choose that trigger.

She can spend at most 1ss per attack to add a suit, so she could add a ram, and then flip or cheat in a ram and annouce critical strike to get +3 damage on that attack (as long as she hit)

She can gain other triggers on her attack such as onslaught, so if you announce the Onslaught trigger, you can't announce the Critical strike trigger.

I hope that is clear