Need help choosing a crew

Daemakon

I am new to Malifaux, but a veteran of mini wargames, and I am having some trouble choosing a crew. Right now I have narrowed it down to three: Ramos, The Dreamer, and Kirai. I like the look of all of those groups (which is important to me) and from my basic understanding of the rules, they all seem very unique and like nothing I have played with before.

Having the "best" crew isn't important to me, but I would prefer to have one that can mix it up against all comers and have a chance, rather than loose every game. So far I have watched a few games and it seems that many of the missions and strategies involve moving to some location, which has me worried that Ramos is too slow. The Dreamer seems easy to kill and hard to kill at the same time, so I really don't know what to expect with the plethora of shooting I witnessed. Kirai hurts herself but can get healing flips from what I understand, and I am nervous that adding more flips will drain my hand faster for cheating leaving me less effective at using the rest of my force or vice versa.

Are my worries unfounded?

Are these just the downsides I have to overcome?

What are your experiences with or against each of these crews?

What would you recommend among these three options and why?

There are probably more questions I should be asking so feel free to give any input. Thanks in advance.

Being a Neverborn lover, my obvious choice is going to be the Dreamer. He is a very nice place to start (out of the list you narrowed down to) and i have found him rather pleasing. :) I however went on the basis that i love the model and worked it from there, it is all down to personal taste at the end of the day. However if you do go for the dreamer i do advise you get Teddy to go with the crew. :) He sorta completes it i think!

good luck with your decision my dear. And take a sweet, its good for you! *offers a cola cube*

Yeah, I just logged back on and saw that double post business, don't know what's up considering they are timestamped about an hour apart and I didn't post again.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I am definitely leaning toward the dreamer at the moment with what everyone has said. Unfortunately, Chompy has a sweet model that I can't get.

The Dreamer is a hard one to beat and my advice if you take him is not to leave Chompy out in the wind...he has decent combat and damage but he is not as tanky as he may seem.

Ramos is exactly that, he himself is slow but our major Ramos player has used a Coryphee duet to much success. They are pretty fast and nigh impossible to kill.

Kirai is 'retarded' fast everytime I've seen anything about her. She requires some finesse to master though.