spa question

scythewing

I was talking with a friend about the spa and he was saying the keep pace rule gave them almost like a companion rule. I was wondering if this was right as I'm just starting my Levi list. I know about the spa train but not sure entirely how it works. I mean can 2 or 3 activate in the same activation then all move their walk then then the last spa pops the desolation engine the he gets to activate? Any clear up would be helpful thank you.

Sort of but no.

Spa each act on there own. That being said when you turn them in to a desolation engine it uses the replace rule. In the replace rule the new model will activate and have a number of general action points = to what ever is the best of the models you used to be replaced. Basically how you want to play spa is like this.

SPA #1 moved forward once. The other 3 will be pushed in to base contact. Your opponent can then activate a model. You then move SPA #2 other models move in the base contact. Your opponent activates a model. You move #3 other SPA move in to contact with him. You use ability to make a desolation engine with the second action point. Desolation engine activates and has 3 total action points 1 from his melee expert and 2 from the 4th SPA who had not yet activated and has 2 general action points left this turn.

Note you can use the 4th spa to move and then combine but the end result is the desolation engine would have only one action point the one for Melee expert.

Also note that when you move one of the first 2 SAP you will probably be using the second action point on them to make them immune to range attacks. As long as at least one of them uses the second action points for this the ability will carry over that turn to the desolation engine.

Make sure you read up on replace rules for how this will work.

Thanks for clearing that up now it makes sense. One of my friends was telling me they had companion and I thought that I might be reading it wrong. So once again thank you for the info. Can't wait to get Levi on the table and try it out. One thing if one spa does the can't shoot me thing does it effect all of them?

No unfortunately it is only the one. Also some thing to keep in mind when moving them you can only move the ones in base contact with the one that walked do to errata. This is important as you can no longer take groups larger then 4. This is because 4 makes the magic diamond formation where all 4 can walk and keep moving the other 3. They used to move any time any of them made any move action now it is only ones in base contact with a walk action.

Lol just got to thinking about Alice casting activation on #4. Would the spa take 2 wd that would carry over or would the desolation engine take all those wd? Funny enough I kind of want to try that. The list I'm going with is

Levi

Rusty Alice 8

Hooded Rider 8

4 spa 12

2 canine remains 4

32 ss with 3 ss to spare

The effect of drop to 1 wound would carry over to the desolation. Be aware if you activate a SPA with reactivate the effect of not being able to reactivate would also carry over so don't use it on the SAP as well. Personalty I don't like giving that reactivate effect to the desolation engine as in my exp he all most all ways croaks in the next turn due to one wound. If there is not some one in range he moves and then dies. If the other guy gets first activation he dies. If he strikes and misses he will take a wound and die.