Battle Brush Studios Commission Painting Log

Sigur

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@dgraz: I actually enjoy painting armies. I mean I see what you don't like about them and I also get immensely tired of painting the same thing over and over again but I really like to see an army taking shape, making up stories about the units and characters as I paint them and really get to know the sculpts and so on.

@Dark Alleycat: Do you have pictures of your stuff? Pricing is incredibly hard and I still tend to mess up once in a while (like the BloodBowl big guys. Those were massively unterpaid for the job I delivered). It's so hard to find proper prices because some people expect that miniature painters charge next to nothing and there are some individuals who actually paint for way too little money (the results usually reflect that) and therefore hurt prices of serious painters. Nice self-appraisal there. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't think of his skills as "definately above tabletop but not quite top league". :D This isn't meant in a malicious way; I just try to show how these levels of painting aren't more than hallow phrases which basically don't mean much. What helps are pictures, pictures, pictures. Take photos of everything you paint, have an archive of pictures and once in a while go back and assess the quality on them. CMON can help a little in this regard but don't take their votes too seriously as well.

@kxizm: Hehehe, I'd love to but I try to get as much Empire stuff finished as I can before I give in to the calls of the Chimera. But I WILL paint it soon enough.

Alright, the new Greatswords are finished now, including the banner.

bild-8126.jpg

bild-8127.jpg

Some of you might notice that some of these Greatswords have darker skin colour than the rest and that there is some exotic symbology on the banner. Fluffwise, the army just returned from a crusade against Araby and some of the regiments featured in this army have a history of having been to Araby. That's why some amongst the troops of the Greatswords regiment are from araby and the regiment incorporated some bits of arabian culture into their traditions so I thought it would be a nice touch to have some darker skinned dudes in there. Reason is this: The state troops in this army obviously weren't in Arabia but the Greatswords, being more of an elite unit and being much more professional soldiers with more esprit de corps and all that were there too. And the Knights of course (Order of the Blazing Sun); Magritta was in endangered by an arabian army once more or something so the Order went there and the Greatswords went with them. Something like that. I hope I don't upset the owner of this army too much by messing his fluff up but you guys know how much I like writing endless drivel when it's late. :-P ). Anyhoo, while the knights enjoy staying pretty much by themselves, the Greatswords had more contact with the locals (be it in good or bad ways) so I thought they were the ones much more prone to acculturate to an extent.

I really like these minis (I know I said that already but I can't stress it enough). Perfectly easy to rank up, no unnecessary details and overall good design. Very good options and good sculpts, especially on the heads. They really make up for the State Troops who are not quite on par with those.

Apart from that, I finished the Outriders horses and did the horses of the knights (sans the barding for now). Next thing on my list would be the Outriders themselves. Problem is, I still have to convert the second champion and have to wait for a bit until I can build him. So I'm doing the Outriders in two steps of five each.

See you soon!

@loganproudbeard: Thanks. :)

Alright, I didn't get all that much done the past two days but I put together another unit of handgunners and more or less finished the first unit of Outriders:

bild-8128.jpg

bild-8129.jpg

bild-8130.jpg

bild-8131.jpg

I think I'll do an army shot after the Outriders are really finished and then go assembling the Chimera.

• 2 weeks later...

@dgraz: :D:D

@Kaane Feinwong: Do you think so? Maybe he just had something stuck in the back of his throat or something.... ;)

There hasn't been an update in over a week now which is pretty long compared to the timespans I usually have between updates. Fact is, I haven't been all that productive for a few days. Glad that's over and I'm back to my regular level of "productivity" (so not all that much really).

Anyway, here's what happened:

Detritus and Dibbler finished

bild-8176.jpg

bild-8177.jpg

bild-8178.jpg

And here's a shot of the almost fully assembled chimera (covered in GW stuffs. This is not to annoy you, it's mainly for scale reasons and a lame joke I tried to pull off on another board :P)

bild-8175.jpg

I got farther now on the mini but not all that much so no painted WIPs as for now but soon!

Apart from that, the finished Khorne chaos space marines army:

bild-8181.jpg

*) Single pictures and a proper army shot are to follow

WIP of the first bunch of Death Korps of Krieg:

bild-8180.jpg

The Space Hulk minis are finished as well. I'll do pictures of those once they're varnished.

Currently in the works: Imperial Fists testmini.

So that's that for now. Comments and critique welcome as always. :)

Update!

Today I reorganized some boxes of stuff and dusted off a shelf. Seeya!

P.S.: Here's some pictures of stuff too. :P

Squad#1:

bild-8219.jpg

Squad#2:

bild-8220.jpg

Command Squad (WIP):

bild-8222.jpg

Flag (WIP):

bild-8221.jpg

Examples of DKOK dudes a bit more close up:

bild-8223.jpg

An Imperial Fists Veteran I did as a test mini for a possibly upcoming army:

bild-8212.jpg

And a new picture of the Chimera:

bild-8224.jpg

This thing really is like nothing I painted before. Highly interesting.

Anyhoo, I hope you like everything so far. C&C welcome as always. :)

Please go back to you first post and at the top in bold letters state that you don't have any malifaux pictures in this thread. Then when you do paint some malifaux models start a new thread.

I enjoy looking at painted models, but I feel like I just got duped into paging through 12 pages of your advertising yourself or something. This is a malifaux forum, please reorient yourself. thanks.

I'd disagree with your characterization of these message boards. This is a Wyrd forum, not a Malifaux forum. That's perhaps a non-obvious distinction, but if you want to see Malifaux only content, the Malifaux Matters board exists for that.

Wyrd has had a long history of embracing the miniature painting community at large, and fortunately the release of Malifaux hasn't seemed to narrow that focus. Even the description of the Miniature Showcase forum represents this inclusiveness:

"Show off your miniatures, from any company, though we love to see anything from Wyrd. Expect comments and critique!"

Please go back to you first post and at the top in bold letters state that you don't have any malifaux pictures in this thread. Then when you do paint some malifaux models start a new thread.

I enjoy looking at painted models, but I feel like I just got duped into paging through 12 pages of your advertising yourself or something. This is a malifaux forum, please reorient yourself. thanks.

Wyrd has had a long history of embracing the miniature painting community at large, and fortunately the release of Malifaux hasn't seemed to narrow that focus. Even the description of the Miniature Showcase forum represents this inclusiveness: ...

Truth.

Although there has certainly been a great shift on the forum community, most (if not all) of the old painters have left, since the release.

Anyway.. @Sigur: another 'keep up the good work' ;)

• 2 weeks later...

@Naahz: I'm sorry that you felt that way; I will add a little note to my first post. :)

About this whole situation - I'm very thankful to Wyrd to let users post miniatures by other manufacturers on their boads. Apart from the forums section description I specifically checked with a mod wether or not I was allowed to post miniatures by other manufacturers as well when I joined here, otherwise I wouldn't have just started posting away.

Still, I'll add a pointer to the first post until I add Malifaux miniatures (which, if everything goes according to plan, should be pretty soon).

Thanks to everyone who backed me up on this point and it's always nice to read that someone enjoys my painting log.

Now let's get back to the miniatures (incidently GW only today, sorry).

So here's the first update in over two weeks. I really only have to blame myself for that, a massive amount of mismanagement of time and work and a general behavior of burying my head in the sand when facing throwbacks/stress/a large workload. I'm also having to worry about some deadlines these days and just having too many projects on the desk at once. Well, you live, you learn.

Here's some WIP Knights of the Blazing Sun:

knightswip1.jpg

knightscommandwip1.jpg

knightscommandwip2.jpg

Here's a slightly converted Outriders champion with Hochland Longrifle. I'm really glad I waited for the Steam Tank kit to arrive instead of using the Hochland Longrifle from the Handgunners box):

outriderschampwip1.jpg

One of the last pictures of the Genestealers. I still had to finishe their bases (hadn't done any SM armour parts on them) before I could ship them, hence a little delay.

genestealersneu1.jpg

Here's a first WIP shot of another side project - a squad of Harlequins. The colours are the choice of the client.

harlwip1.jpg

Apart from all that, the DKOK guys got their company markings (fiddliest decals since I stopped doing scale modelling) and got sealed.

As mentioned above, I'm currently in talks about a Malifaux project again (Ortega clan). In the unlikely case that this doesn't work out, I will do a Malifaux mini on my own. ;)

Hope you like everything so far; see you soon!

@Kaane Feinwong: Thanks for the encouragement!

@JMGraham: I don't know, I really like the knights kit. I really really love the diverse and semi-historical helmet looks and armours combined with the very over the top looking feathers. Maybe I've become jaded but with Empire, I really start to fear each new release because usually things just look worse and worse with more fantasy stuff, skulls and steam thrown in and just too much detail. Not my kind of WHFB. Sure, they look kinda dated and the horses definately are but I really like them. Anyway, I get your POV though. ;) Thanks for the compliments anyway!

A little update on the knights - they're finished:

knights1.jpg

knights2.jpg

knights3.jpg

I hope you like them. I'll probably add some glossy finish on the horse bardings to see if it fits.

Apart from that, I made loads of pictures of finished Space Hulk and Khorne Stuff!

bletters1.jpg

chars1.jpg

jugger2.jpg

squad1.jpg

For the full number of shots, please have a look at my Chaos Space Marines Gallery.

squad1.jpg

For the final Space Hulk pictures, have a look at this gallery: Space Hulk.

(love these buggers. ;-) )

I hope you like everything. See you soon! (C&C welcome as always of course)

Update!

Alrighty, here's a little update on the Harlequins and an army shot of the Khornies:

harlwip2.jpg

armyshot2.jpg

More and bigger army shots in my CSM gallery.

Little Update on the chimera:

wip3.jpg

wip4.jpg

Oh, and here's some pictures of the latest Araby dudes:

finishedneu1.jpg

finishedneu2.jpg

Empire army shots (whole army looking straight into the Arabyian Sun I suppose):

armyshot2.jpg

armyshot4.jpg

armyshot5.jpg

Oh, there's more army shots in my Empire (Averland) gallery too.

Hope you like the piccies and the added red parts on the Chimaera. I originally thought of purple for that but I think red works better but please let me know if you think that purple would be more fitting. So basically C&C is welcome.

Staggered. It's all good - really like the color on the scorp tail. The lion head is unreal - the coloring is perfect. Great job researching that to get it right (or at least remembering how it really looks). The tongue color and the black in the mouth really makes it.

@dgraz: Thanks. :) I always tend to do research, especially with more ambitious projects which go in a more naturalistic direction. My recently deceased dog ( :( ) made me think of the black "lips" and general maw region so I did some additional research in that regard to get that right. (just google image search of course, I didn't stick my head into a lion's maw. :P ).

Little update on the Empire:

bild-8448.jpg

Them's the new guys, a.k.a. "Second batch":

.) Head Engineer on foot

.) Sigmarite Priest

.) 10 Archers

.) 10 Swordsmen

.) 10 Handgunners

.) 5 Outriders

.) Steamtank

.) Mortar

In the background you can see my snazzy new painting rack. Got the biggest they had and still had to keep my old rack for "backup paints".

That's it for now, seeya!