Thinking of starting Malifaux

aedh11

Hallo there!

I am thinking of starting Malifaux after a long break from miniature gaming. I started with GW (naturally) about 8 years ago, but have since been out of miniature gaming for 4 years. I wanted to get back into a miniature game, but one of a skirmish style.

From what I can gather, Malifaux, Alkemy and Hellodorado are the three big ones (although Alkemy is hardly big).

But I was wondering whether you could sell me on Malifaux, maybe tell me something about the factions and gameplay.

Thankyou for your time!

Aedh11

As a fellow newcomer, welcome!

Your best bet is to find someone playing a game and just watch. The card mechanics take a little getting used to, but once you understand the logic, they "click."

As far as background and flavor, a lot of what you're looking for is in the Wyrd Chronicles (download links are on the left of this page). The basics are:

Guild - law and order, although quite heavy-handed and authoritarian

Resurrectionists - the really bad guys (IMO), deal with reanimating the dead, and making people dead when they can't find bodies elsewhere

Arcanists - magicians - each has their own specialty and "flavor" of magic, from weather control to affinity with animals to animating machines

Neverborn - the monsters and boogey men of Malifaux

Outcasts - everybody else - mercenaries and people that don't quite fit with the others

Good luck - and welcome again!

All of us who loved a GW Mordheim, was practically left without a skirmish game, when they stopped giving any support. Year after that, there were no players for Mordheim here.

I had to find something skirmish to play with, so I started Warmachine. It was excellent until MK2. Then I left the Warmachine and found about Helldorado. Thing with Helldorado is that I really didn't like the rules that much. They are steep and cards were translated badly on English.

Alkemy I couldn't get anywhere here, but I did like the rules. Although Alkemy is under liquidation at the moment, so consider it dead for some period, or forever if noone took over it.

Malifaux has great rules and I oddore the card mechanics. It really reminds me on Mordheim in more than a few places and it gives the skirmish feeling as Mordheim gave me at the time I've played it. I'm telling you all this just rules wise, but if you want to know fluff, than see on the left of this page malifaux matters, and 3 malifaux chronicles. REad them, I'm sure you'll enjoy reading the background story and everything else.

Definitely get into it with somebody who's been playing it for a little while. The background is great, the rules are innovative and rather elegant (as of the 1st book at least)... but not well organized. Your first few games can get very discouraging if you're on your own. If you find somebody to show you the ropes and play a handful of games with you, it'll be a lot smoother and less painful.

Malifaux is an amazing system. The card mechanic is a great replacement for the classic die (and a welcome change). having a hand of cards also allows some influence over your "luck". The miniatures look amazing, and the story alone should sell the game.

I saw a demo a month or so back, and I talked to my local game store owner and got the ball rolling in my home town, now I run a weekly "demo/learn to play" night and am hoping to become a Wyrd Henchmen soon.