Rasputina or McMourning?

tedwin183

I'm currently a Sonnia Criid/Perdita player but I would like to branch out to a different faction. I've been looking at both McMourning and Rasputina as alternate masters. I was wondering which one of these two would be best for overall flexibility in any scenario/scheme.

It's been tough. Sometimes I lean towards Rasputina because she's pretty much good in any scenario. It seems like it's a matter of whether or not you take a Cerebus or December Acolyte and how many Gamins you take.

McMourning, on the other hand, seems to be pretty set with a mixture of Canine Remains/Punk Zombies/Flesh Constructs, a nurse, Sebastian and the Chihuahua.

Would this be an accurate assessment?

I'm currently a Sonnia Criid/Perdita player but I would like to branch out to a different faction. I've been looking at both McMourning and Rasputina as alternate masters. I was wondering which one of these two would be best for overall flexibility in any scenario/scheme.

It's been tough. Sometimes I lean towards Rasputina because she's pretty much good in any scenario. It seems like it's a matter of whether or not you take a Cerebus or December Acolyte and how many Gamins you take.

McMourning, on the other hand, seems to be pretty set with a mixture of Canine Remains/Punk Zombies/Flesh Constructs, a nurse, Sebastian and the Chihuahua.

Would this be an accurate assessment?

Well it depends on how much you want to play a crew already like your other two. Rasputina will end up playing very much like Perditia because she's a caster (and a GREAT), and very much wants to be away from the action casting December's Curse as much as possible ( I think that's the name of her offensive 10" power), pretty similarly to Perditia and her pistols.

I think McMorning is a great alternative to the above two crews because he does something they don't: Make new models. His mechanics are similar to Sonnia (with a great deal of melee, unless you're buring that stone for the tomes on Sonnia) but the end results are different: body part counters mean Fast and/or summoning new models.

Don't forget that the good doctor can now summon the new beastie out of the RP book (rogue nercomancy) with his powers, much similar to the flesh construct and canines.

I love my Rasputina crew( I also play McM and various Neverborn masters) but I think McM would give you the largest variety in relation to your other crews.

d

I don't know too much about Rasputina...other than the big golem is like a really nasty turret.

McM, on the other hand is one of my favorite masters.

He's very good at summoning things, the only major problem is that you need a 10 of crows. You don't need to worry about Lady J like other summoners do because McM never drops his counters so they cannot be whisked away or eaten.

He is excellent at self healing, this is something I constantly talk about when I try to sell people on different masters. Whatever damage he does with his nasty knives he heals that amount. His damage is the same as a Flesh Construct, so that's not too bad either. I don't know if that's a step up or down from Sonnia though.

He has a really nice ranged attack, which is something you will DEFINITELY not see much of if you go into the Way of the Zombie (Resurrectionist). People always advise on using mercs...especially the Convict Gunslinger, but I have found that he is really not necessary. Almost everything in your army is hard to wound.

Finally, he has the biggest cache of soulstones of any master in the game. On top of this, he is very unkillable which means you can use these for cutting up other things that are hard to hurt instead of using them for damage mitigating and healing.

• 2 weeks later...

I am relatively new to malifaux but I would definitely suggest McMourning. He is a combat monster (which I'm sure you already know) and has a nasty habit of killing big things in a single activation. Also he makes fun creations, like dogs to swarm the enemy and lower their defense and flesh constructs to be a general nuisance. Another reason that you should get him is because he is really different from your other crews, like druchii said.

I will go ahead and say Rasputina, not just because everyone else so far says mcman.

Rasputina is vary flexible and well seven shades of awesome. I first thought she was not that good, like second tier lists. Where perdita, the dreamer and lilith are teir 1 lists, soild and great. Tier two is Victoria’s and the hag like lists, vary good lists but take some time to master. And tier three are lists like Markus.

But playing Tina more I am amazed with her, on top of having a good starting army out of the box the two new models coming out for her are top notch. The December acolyte was a good model but I don’t see it in lists now with the gunsmith in the game. Also the trapper would make a better replacement for the DA.

But Snowstorm and the silent ones are amazing additions to Tina and make her play differently then she did before IMHO.

Mcman is good, he has some limited rez abilities, (Im a nicadem player and after playing him the other rezers seem a bit weak when making things since Nico has soo many choices) Molly would be interesting to play around with as well.

If you want flexibility in a rezer I would look at nicadem, He is amazing, he is another model i thought was allot weaker then he is, he can rez soo much and he can paralyze models like no other, and he has a great range spell that does AOE, in fact he kind of the mix of the two casters you are trying to choose from.

I hope this helps

-Andrew