terrain and cover

Vash Axis

I was playing my Levi against a friends Viks and we had a terrain question. His Vik bounty hunter was in base contact with a Ht 1 wall and the wall was between Vik and my Abom. Would my Abom get the soft cover from the Ht1 wall or since his Vik was in base contact with the wall would he ignore the soft cover? I read the rules on terrain and found nothing stating anything about this.

Thanks

The Wall is Ht 1.

Viktoria is Ht 2.

Steampunk Abomination is Ht 1.

Covering

. . .

Any covering terrain that blocks LoS to a portion of the target model provides cover.

. . .

Models with a height over twice that of the covering terrain cannot claim cover from it.

Core Rulebook: Covering (p.84)

Terrain Blocking LoS

A model’s LoS is blocked to a target if it cannot draw a line

to the target’s base through terrain or game effects or its

Height and the Height of the target is equal to or less than

that of the terrain.”

Malifaux Errata (Version 1, p.5)

Viktoria can see over the wall and has LoS to the Steampunk Abomination. The rule does not have any exceptions about being in base contact with it. The wall will provide either hard cover or soft cover depending on what you decided. (Maybe a picked fence provides soft while a stone wall provides hard). Either way it provides cover as long as the wall is between them.

However, the Steampunk Abomination can't see over the Ht 1 wall because they are the same height.

I don't think I missed anything regarding this situation, but if I did someone will post something.

The Wall is Ht 1.

Viktoria is Ht 2.

Viktoria can see over the wall and has LoS to the Steampunk Abomination. The rule does not have any exceptions about being in base contact with it. The wall will provide either hard cover or soft cover depending on what you decided. (Maybe a picked fence provides soft while a stone wall provides hard). Either way it provides cover as long as the wall is between them.

However, the Steampunk Abomination can't see over the Ht 1 wall because they are the same height.

I don't think I missed anything regarding this situation, but if I did someone will post something.

There is no way that this can be right. If the attacker is up against a wall shooting at someone in the open, there should be no cover... that's just ridiculous. It's expected that the attacker is leaning out of cover and firing. Unless they are just awful and manage to somehow shoot the wall directly in front of them, where does the cover for the defender in this case come from? If the wall was closer to the Abom or maybe in the middle somewhere I could maybe see cover coming into play.

I think this is one of those common sense things that needs to prevail over any sort of exact wordings.

Is there not something in the ruleook about having to be within 1" of terrain in order to recieve its effects.

My understanding in this example is that the Abom is not within 1" so recieves no cover.

Now the Abom can see the Vik since it is twice the size of the cover it is behind but the Vik does get cover if it is attacked.

The Wall is Ht 1.

Viktoria is Ht 2.

That was almost right, but the Ht part isnt. It specifies in the errata that LOS is blocked if the ht if the model activating AND the ht of the target are equal or less than the intervening terrain. Since Viktoria is taller it would mean that you can see her. This is part of the fundemental rule from the original book of LOS been a two way thing. If i can see you, you can see me.

Vash - unfortunately the errata has replaced the original book, so if you are equal then you cannot see (though Sketch has made ANOTHER ruling that you CAN see if you are equal, so hopefully the soon to be released errata will clear it up).

If Vik and the Abomination are both within 1" of the wall then they will both benefit from cover.

CubertFarnsworth - Abom can see, but it is not be cause Vik is twice the height. The rule actually states you have to be OVER twice the height of the terrain to lose the benefit, so she would need to be ht 3 to lose the cover bonus.

mangustheix got it right. Looks like I misread the Terrain Blocking LoS errata and also misread Vash's OP and thought they were both by the wall.

Is there not something in the ruleook about having to be within 1" of terrain in order to recieve its effects.

Yes. In the rulebook on p.84 under "Elements vs Areas" it says a model must be within 1" of a piece of Element Terrain (like a wall) to gain the effects. In the case of the wall it is Covering terrain as long as it partly blocks LoS to the other model.