Got my first game in!

joelmmorgan

This is a really fun game. I finished up reading the rulebook and painted up my Gremlins. I hit the Local Gaming Store and someone gave me a game vs the Resurectionists.

I want to try the schemes next time because I like the fluff, but this game is fun...did I already say that?

I love the card mechanics. Can't wait for my next game.

Gremlins are way too underestimated.

Som'er's ability to drain your entire hand and then proceed to throw giant angry pigs all over the place is both over the top and completely lethal.

Abuse him well.

And don't forget about the whole, "Stab yourself in the ass and then get fast."

Because that's essentially 3 damage minimum per Gremlin, and in a 25 point game, you'll be fielding like what, 8-12 of them with favorable odds?

This is a really fun game. I finished up reading the rulebook and painted up my Gremlins. I hit the Local Gaming Store and someone gave me a game vs the Resurectionists.

I want to try the schemes next time because I like the fluff, but this game is fun...did I already say that?

I love the card mechanics. Can't wait for my next game.

Congrats! I'm glad you enjoyed it and welcome to the addicting world of Malifaux.

I also found the card mechanics to be a huge selling point for me when I was looking at the game. When I play dice base games I still find myself every now and then trying to flip the dice ;D

Gremlins are way too underestimated.

Som'er's ability to drain your entire hand and then proceed to throw giant angry pigs all over the place is both over the top and completely lethal.

Abuse him well.

And don't forget about the whole, "Stab yourself in the ass and then get fast."

Because that's essentially 3 damage minimum per Gremlin, and in a 25 point game, you'll be fielding like what, 8-12 of them with favorable odds?

I think the only estimating going on here is you overestimating. Sure making your opponent discard their hand is great, if you can pull it off, but it involves getting in range with Som'er or mosquitos, and if you are using the skeeters you have to heal them first. And the giant angry pigs are large, low DF and have no defensive ablities. Anything with a ranged attack can turn them into giant piles of bacon waiting for Nicodem to turn into Punk Zombies.

Glad you love the game. It quickly replaced every other game I have played as my favorite. The card mechanic was HUGE for me. The awesome fluff, the beautiful figs. This is just the perfect game. Definately play the schemes they really make the game. Som'er usually plays better with schemes instead of a straight out fight.

I do agree that Som'er is difficult to play well. That said, when you really know what you're doing, he can be very effective but still struggles against shooty crews.

Now with the Rising Powers additions....whoo. Bad to the bone. I have a friend who has stuck with Som'er since he started and though he can sometimes fight my Perdita crew to a draw I normally beat him handily. His first game with Ophelia added in and a couple of her boys I was in the fight of my life. I still won that one but he nearly crushed me. Once he has a little more experience with the new stuff I expect some crazy back and forth battles.

Welcome to the Wyrdness.

I've never even used Somer's card-dumping tricks, and the Gremlins are my first crew.

Like everyone said, they are tricky to play, but they do have a few things they can do to make themselves pretty scary.

I usually go with a whole slew of the little blighters and just have them blow themselves up doing a lot of damage. (Y'all Watch This and Dumb Luck.) Risky, but worth it if you can pull it off.

I was against Gremlins once, and my opponent almost killed (a previously undamaged) Sonnia outright with Dumb Luck. He got good cards and doubled his damage from 5 to 10. :eek: Unusual, I know, but still scary. I had to use a soulstone just to keep her alive.

And then there's the aforementioned Pig attacks.

Like I said, hard to play, but nasty once you figure out tactics that work for you.

BTW: The Pigapult and Gremlin Taxidermist from Rising Powers make for a really fun combo.

I actually won the Gremlins so that is why I have them as my first army. I have them all painted up and plan to use them as my secondary force. I am almost done with the rule book and right now I am down to either Lilith or Victorias which will be my main crew.

Then I will have two and able to show friends how awesome the game is.

Once you have the two crews, you can apply for Henchman status - seems logical since you love the game so much and want to teach others.

I have a Viktoria crew and I'm very interested to see how well Von Schill and his Freikorps work with them. I think that'll be the beatiest non-magic crew in the game. Most of them have virtually no spells so no need to spend AP on spells, just get to the whooppin'!!