Love the game, but I lose alot.

studderingdave

so i got a few guys into Malifaux, and i like to demo games for people.

we play 25 ss. slaughter games with the faction schemes in place for extra VPs. i use 2 crews to show people the game, the 2 crews are:

Perdita

nephilim

nino

executioner

peacekeeper

lilith

tot

tot

tot

young

mature

i always take the perdita crew and i just get smoked on 90% of my games. maybe im missing something with my models, and i have all the guild models from the first rulebook, so any help would be appreciated. i think i might be a little low on models, and pay for it when i get swarmed by tots.

why didn´t you use the rest of the Family... they are mostly to good for not taking them...

Then.. two big guyes with teh Executioner and the Keeper...

ner of them is enough....

For shure you Split your force to Melee and Rangedbased Combat...

In melee the Lilithcrew is faster and mor heavy than your stuf, because there are a lot more options...

I think you schuld use the Pedita Box for Demos... it´s more ballanced...

Second post hurray.

The Guild list looks a bit imbalanced for a demo list for a start. Two heavy hitters.

In terms of getting regularly beaten, I'll try and highlight the usefulness of some of the non-shooty Guild 'troops'. Well, from my experience of the Guild at least.

I have headed off a Lilith & Mature combo with a couple of Witchlings before. Getting into melee with Lilith slows her down (providing you can resist Transposition). If the people that do that, explode, all the better. Scout (?) helps with the forest/Waldgeist shenanigans too.

DMs: They constantly do well at range for me. I do worse versus Lilith lists if I don't get them into position to pre-empt the charges and do a little damage before it comes my way.

Austringer: A little long ranged attack to eat away at wounds seems great in a non-Ortega list. Pseudo-companion through Deliver Orders can probably be use dbetter than I use it though. A little minor wound taking early game can mean a lot though. Or just card burning if you get a lucky flip - not a model I cheat with a lot.

Facing Lilith, I'd probably prefer Lady J. Trying the Peacebringer this week. Will let you know how it goes.

Anyhoo, for a demo I would probably box set. You have a totem but they don't in your list. Not that that makes a huge difference.

Edited by Braindead

If your demoing you should always lose. Because if walk up and you show me how to play and whoop my butt, I might not like the game that much because the person who taught me is a d*+%&$ and plays to win.

When I first started I just sat down and read through everything. It doesn't help that I'm a speed reader and finished the whole book in an hour and a half. But all I did was jot down some combos with different masters and tried them out. With the ortegas with the release of abuela you can bring anybody and make them family. So if there is a model you like in the guild, bring it and abuela and make it family. It just all depends on your playstyle as well. Maybe the ortegas are your style, maybe lady j is, maybe you are more keen to the beatstick. Or maybe you are a casting style, so criid is your choice.

You need more than a few games to figure out your niche. Just keep at it with the ortegas and maybe it will hit you and you tactically figure them out. Don't give up, and keep your head up. I've lost my share of games, but I love this game to death. So keep trying and good luck.

Edited by Iamwyrd

Perdita is one of the best masters in the game. As long as she has soul stones on her she is next to impossable to kill, you need to start the game with 4 or more soul stones on her, use them to add to your DF flips to make it impossable for there heavy hitters to hit you.

Next the peace keeper is a point sink and not really worth it at 35ss in my book. At 25 points this what I normaly run

Perdita

Enslaved 2

Nino 7

Francisco 5

Witchling stalker 4

Witchling stalker 4

Leaves 5ss on perdita, she runs alot better with a good sized SS pool. Dont forget that Perditas gunslinger makes her just as good at close combat as she is in range so dont be afried to though her against Lilith if you think you can kill her.

Papa and santioago are good as well but this is what I run is I run at 25.

At 30 - 35 i then add the exacutioner.

Play around with casting obay on your own models like on Nino to get more shots in a turn. Or cast it twice on papa to move him twice then actavate take ya all with me x2 its a nasty combp if you can pull it off.

Witchlings are great at melee and so is fansico, if you feel you need more combat power then drop the witchlings for the exacutioner.

Witchlings are great VP grabers and fighters with a good melee CB and an okay range mix that with hunter and scout and there some of the best little helpers you can get.

You might want to keep the Peacekeeper in, if you can swing it.

It's great for drawing fire, and if your opponent is foolish enough to ignore it, it can dish it out just fine.

I usually send it in hell-bent-for-leather, expecting it to die but keeping my opponent's models busy while the rest of my crew goes about the business of the objective.

Are you trying to win, or trying to demo the game?

It looks like a fantastic list to demo, but a terrible one to win with.

For demoing:

It's got a lot of different things to show. Totems, melee, range, and even the wonkiness of the peacekeeper just to show that the game does have some really out there stuff... it's a cool list that's just sneakily bad enough that your opponent can use Lilith to slaughter them without feeling like you gave them the game. I wholeheartedly approve.

As for winning with it, the same qualities that make it fantastic for demoing count against it:

The peacekeeper in a 25 SS game is just ridiculous - half (~) your points into something that also sucks your hand dry...

The executioner needs cover, both in terrain and in friendly support troops to get there and be useful. Against Lilith he may do alright waddling in there, but against anyone with range, he'll pop too easily if it's just him and another big baddy.

Nino and Perdita don't compliment the heavy point expenditure into the Executioner AND the peacekeeper. My rule of thumb is - go range, go casty, or go shooty for the core of your army.. which, at 25 SS, is what you have - the core.

If you switch to just the Perdita starting box, I think you'll win a heck of a lot more; they have synergy. Everyone shoots, does a great deal of damage at range, and then you're OK at melee to dish out the few finishing blows. As it is, you do ~40% of your load at range. Lilith, for example, can take it. Then, you do another 40% in melee. Lilith can take that too. Meanwhile, every single point in Lilith's brood is dedicated to tearing the ever living snot out of you in melee. It just doesn't compare!

tl,dr:

Great list for demos, bad for winning. Keep the list for demos, go back to basics for winning.