how do you all do it?

Lorenz

WASHES, washes, washes! I am with you, I've only painted for the last year and my buddy who paints well gave me some AMAZING pointers. I find my models come out just fine now!

The tips he taught me (without going into severe detail)

Washes: Basically a watered down paint or pre bought wash. This darker color will settle into the crevices and add shadow/depth. Example: I painted skin, then I might do a GW sepia wash on top (which is kind of like a muddy brown). This not only adds a good depth to it, but the higher areas maintain their skin coloring.

Drybrushing: Sloppy, but very effective! Great technique for sloppy highlighting. Basically dip your brush in paint, and then WIPE it off (pretty much all off) onto a paper towel (do this with a CHEAP brush, i use a specific drybrush brush, it will ruin it). You do this with lighter colors. Example: Metal gun, painted with a darker metal color, washed to show depth, but then you highlight a lighter metal on the edges to make it seem like it's reflecting. Etc.

Highlighting: Directly painting the raised edges with a lighter color. Careful with this, as you can apply too much very easily. This is why I prefer drybrushing.

Undercoat: This really determines how much your model pops. Black undercoat will be dark no matter what you paint on it. White undercoat will make it pop like an anime cartoon (hate that personally). I use a darker grey undercoat and gives me good balance.

Don't be in a hurry. You spent good money on them, play with them unfinished. Think about how you want it to look before you start. I'm not visionary so I cheat and use google images to get scheme ideas, colors, etc.

There are also TONS of great guides to tricks, and schemes of painting. Personally I needed my hand held to get started, so if you know any local gaming stores or clubs go there and seek help. Bring you paints and get a lesson! Someone is always willing to help get someone else addicted to the hobby :)

Good luck.

Edited by Dark_Trainer

Aside from the great suggestions already mentioned (patience, good brushes, fluid paints, etc) I haven't seen mentioned good light.

I have 4 lights on my painting table, most in daylight wave lengths and most of the drafting table style (so I can easily reposition them where I need them). You will have trouble painting fine details if you cant see'm after all.