Good Demo Starters?

Ricter

Both of my FLGS do not run Malifaux games (yet), so it's up to me to create interest. With that in mind, I need to run demos. However, I'm a rather new player to the game, so I'm turning to the community for suggestions. What makes for a good demo Crew? I don't mind buying a few extra models either, to round out a box. I'm looking to pick up 3-4 Crews to show off the game.

My current starter is Ramos, however, that's not very well suited to new players. I see the Ortegas mentioned as popular with new players, so they seem an easy choice. My only concern is that they also seem to be a very rough match up for many Crews, so I need to ensure the other Crews I choose stand a reasonable chance. Lilith and LJ are noted in other threads as being a good match, but I'd like to be able to run two games at once, or mix and match Crews.

I've gathered the impression that the McMourning and Marcus starting Crews are notably poor, and I'd rather try to stick with Crews that need a minimal amount of extra models involved.

Also, what SS tends to work best for demo'ing the game?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Ricter

Seamus is another pretty good box for starters. It doesn't drastically require anything else.

Sonnia or Tina seem to work ok from the box sets but this would not be a particularly good match up.

Possibly the Viktoria's.

For starter demo's I wouldn't even necessarily start with a points level. Just have people pick a master and maybe another two mini's at first and build up from there.

I would agree. The only issue i've had is new players want to use the Terror tot's "grow" ability. But without the models, you really can't. Not a huge deal at all, just sparked some debate while we were teaching a friend how to play.

The Viks make for a fun first game, but bishop's novel... i mean card... seems intimidating. I like chucklemonkey's idea with starting with only maybe three people. that way the game is relatively short and there are fewer potential problems between models.

I have found that Victoria, Raspy, Lilith, Lady J, and Seamus are all great starting masters. We let the new players pick from those and we use the rest. (they always take Lady J or Lilith.)

I hope this helps