Acrylic Gesso

Gongsun

So, I mentioned this in my other thread about priming questions. I had originally picked up a bottle of spray primer, but, as it was too crappy here to spray the other day, and I was impatient to get started working on my stuff that just arrived, I took the plunge and picked up a bottle of Liquitex Neutral Gray Gesso. And I have just two words to describe it:

Seriously awesome.

Yesterday, I cleaned up a witchling stalker, and primed it with straight gesso, just to get an idea of how much I would need to thin it. I ended up kind putting it on kind of thick, due to it being the first model I ever did anything too, fully expecting to end up stripping it due to globs and loss of detail, and I was expecting him to look pretty crappy today. Imagine my surprise when I took a look at him this morning, about 12 hours after I had primed him, and noticed almost no lack of detail, and only two little pinholes that require a little touching up. I was most surprised when the pistol in his hand came out perfectly, right down to the six holes in the front, as that looked completely flat while wet.

I am so glad I decided to be impatient and ended up picking this up.

Second that. Don't know why - but excess Gesso evaporates, so you can lay it on pretty thick without any worries. It also holds paint alot better than most spray ons.

Perfect for skirmish games since there are relatively few minis, but a pain for games requiring tons & tons minis.