Working on the "special terrain" for Malifaux

Prime

As a avid Warhammer 40k player I acquired quite a collection of terrain, but once I started playing Malifaux I quickly realized how lacking my terrain collection was for this game. So lately I have been filling gaps in my terrain collection. After making a bunch of card stock buildings I thought I was done.

But I was wrong. I played two games the other night and for one we used 2x2 post-it to represent a soulstone vein and in the other one we represented an ancient monument with a bottle of Tylenol. lol I decided this had to change.

So I have embarked on a mission to make all of the special terrain pieces we will need so we wont have to use random things as proxies. These pieces are not meant to be master pieces, just good solid representation that look the part on the table. I included one of my wife's gremlins (since he was handy) for a sense of scale.

The first one I did was the Ancient Monument. While looking for a base for it I discovered the bottom off of the "eggs" you get out of the toy machines is the right size. It is made out of one of those and a piece of foam core, nice and simple. :)

mIMG_0682.jpg

Next up was the Soulstone Vein. For it I made a 2x2 base from plastic card and three extra soulstones (of the type my wife and I use). I tried to make it look like the ground has eroded from around them and they have been "pushed" to the surface. I know these are bigger than the soulstones in the fluff, but you can't miss them on the table.

mIMG_0684.jpg

Close up

mIMG_0686.jpg

I just finished up my third piece, a camp site. Just a simple little fire pit and a old bed roll.

mIMG_0687.jpg

mIMG_0690.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you like them. I will post more here in this thread as I finish them.

-Prime-

Edited by Prime

Thank you guys for the kind words.

Love the bed roll/campsite idea. Very original.

Thanks, originally I was going to use a tent, but my wife suggested a bed roll. It sounded cool so I went with it. lol

I finished up my Creepy Structure today. I just went with a odd stone pillar with a glowing gem in the center. The grey is actually a little darker than it looks in the pics. It is made from some foam core and a left over blood counter with a little flock. I hope you all like it. :)

Thanks for looking.

maIMG_0799.jpg

maIMG_0800.jpg

topish view

maIMG_0801.jpg

Man, you've got me excited to work on terrain now!

Cool, go for and post lots of pics. :)

These are fantastic! The terrain possibilities are one of the reasons I am getting into this game. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. The line a friend of mine used to get me into the game was, "Come on man, you like to build terrain, lots of opportunities to do so." I guess it worked. lol

Here is my latest piece, nice quaint little graveyard. Foam core walls and grave markers on a plastic base. I tried to make it look like it has been forgotten and weather worn.

mIMG_0925.jpg

mIMG_0930.jpg

mIMG_0926.jpg

• 2 weeks later...